A very modified GTV - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

A very modified GTV

Well we just got back from a very long road trip. We went and recovered this car. And heres the plan.

We are about to do a complete conversion on this 74 GTV. We will be turning back the clock too. The car will become a 67 stepnose. All the exterior steel will be changed out with aluminum. Every bit of it. Hood, roof, trunk, quarter panels, rear and front clip, and door skins . A twinspark motor we have been holding on to for a while will be used on this car. The motor will be built to the limit. 200 h.p. is the target. We might even be doing some kryo treatment on the rotating parts of that motor. The suspension will completely changed out for the most advanced set-up on the market. The brakes will be upgraded too. A lightened gear transmission has already been picked up for this project as well. This is going to be a great thread!

Next we will be removing all the exterior steel. Prepping the skeleton for soda blasting and epoxy.
jamminman likes this.

1967 Giulia Super
1967 Duetto
1972 Spider
1972 GTV
1973 GTV
1974 GTV
1959 Lancia Flaminia GT
1 very understanding wife!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 AM

I can hardly wait!

I am already looking forward to this thread!!!

Bob

71 Giulia 1300 Super - 1962 cc, 03 156-Sportwagon 1.9 JTD, 74 KTM Ponny II Super 4 Deluxe
post #3 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 AM

...stepnose conversion...been waiting for something like this

Daron i think this one is gonna be your greatest job...

post #4 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
OMG this is big.....so looking forward to this thread!!

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #5 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 AM

thats cool. Consider however that there are some major differences in the inner body too, such as the lower radiator support, floorpans, firewall, etc. If it doesn't have to be original anyway, keep the hanging pedals, replace the lower rad support by a piece of roll cage tubing (easy engine in/out and maintenance and less chance for rot!- also far stronger than standard, so less trouble when you have a stiffer stabiliser bar!)
Will it have a roll cage?
Think about strenghtening the area from the front suspension towards the stabiliser location, which is a known problem here in race cars with poly or alu wings. What happens is that this area flexes instead of the stabiliser bar actually working.
Also realise that the dashboard area is different than that of a stepnose so before installing the dash, check out first.
Perhaps you can modify the floors too so that the whole 'italian ape 'seating can be prevented. I once completely lowered a floor for an over 2 metre long race driver.
The holes for the steering houses were also adapted. You keep the front one standard and redrill the others. This way you can lower the steering arm, which is necessary if you lengthen the arm so the driver can sit further back. Otherwise the steering wheel would be too high up. An inch is possible no problem. Which is sufficient inside. You can then create a 20 cm longer steering arm.
And that is cool.
Great project, I'll follow!
Rik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
You weren't kidding - this is going to be a very interesting project. What is the target weight?

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #7 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm hoping folks do enjoy this one. I don't know how many more threads we're willing start after this one, but for now we plan on showing this insane project, so hopefully folks who plan on tackling this at home will get a pointer or two.

Hi RIK, you are very much correct. There are many reasons why I wanted to build this car from a 74. The channeling (sub-chassis) is the best (strongest) by the time the 74 model came out. The early rad support was a must have, we already thought of, the GTA rad, oil cooler and shroud is a far better lay out then the later option. The car will keep the hanging pedals (gives use more options on the brake set-up). The roll cage idea is a big one. I'm currently working on a hidden design. Because we are installing a Aluminum roof, a cage of some sort is a must. Once again you are correct about stiffening the chassis. We do have many stiffening secretes that will be incorporated on this car. The dash issue has been sorted as well. We picked up a 69 dash for this project. And as far as the steering and suspension, just wait. We have big upgrades happening there too.

1967 Giulia Super
1967 Duetto
1972 Spider
1972 GTV
1973 GTV
1974 GTV
1959 Lancia Flaminia GT

post #8 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

We are shooting for 1800 pounds. anything less is icing on the cake. Doing that with a 74 is not going to be easy.

1967 Giulia Super
1967 Duetto
1972 Spider
1972 GTV
1973 GTV
1974 GTV
1959 Lancia Flaminia GT

post #9 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitaman View Post
We are about to do a complete conversion on this 74 GTV...... A twinspark motor we have been holding on to for a while will be used on this car.
Wow, quite a project!

I find it interesting that despite the extent of modifications this owner has planned, he is sticking with an inline, 4-cyl Alfa engine. No Honda/Ferrari/smallblock Chevy/Alfa V6 stuff for him. I approve - this avoids building some ill-handling, overheating, franken-car, and maintains the "spirit" of the 105 GT.

Nice to know that someone still has the bucks to commission this sort of creation.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-04-2009 at 05:41 PM.
post #10 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 AM

great!!

subscribed

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
post #11 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

this is gonna be fun

what an interesting conversion. I look forward to following this one!
Don't let all those other cars in the background languish while we cheer you on on this one though!

Will you be taking the rear lights and sidemarkers back to '67 too? Does the rear wheel opening change too?

69 GT 1300 jr w/ 2L
95 164LS nero - now gone on to a better life in Colorado
post #12 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
We are shooting for 1800 pounds. anything less is icing on the cake. Doing that with a 74 is not going to be easy.
What are the key light-weighting mods apart from the ali panels? My track car with cage & plumbed-in extinguisher is 840kg (1840lbs ish) with GRP doors, bonnet and boot and Lexan side & rear windows. I can't go any further because of the race regs in my series.

Richard

GTJ '69 Race Car - Alfa #14 -Alfa MiTo 155 Veloce - Alfa #16

post #13 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Quote:
... so hopefully folks who plan on tackling this at home will get a pointer or two...

Oh, I can't tell you how many times I dreamed about building an all aluminum GTV in my garage with a hammer and a rake. I can't wait until you show us how to convert the Lawnboy lawnmower into a planishing hammer!

BTW, on a Power to Weight Ratio basis, that is about double a stock GTV and approaching a Corvette C6... not too shabby!

C6: 430 hp/3174 lb = .13
AL GTV: 200 hp/1800 lb = .11
My GTV: 129 hp/2500 lb = .05

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Last edited by gprocket; 02-04-2009 at 02:10 PM.
post #14 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

weight saving: taking a stock suspension from rear to front: Mainly see the Alfaholics pages. Drill the rear trailing arms. Use lightweight Aly T-bone. Use coilover kit.
drill and lighten lower A arms. Drill upper arms. Use Aly stabiliser bar, use coilovers, use mag wheels. Use CrM04 (or something like that... whatever!) for roll cage.
Use poly das, use carbon seats. Use lexan windows. Dump all sound deadening. Use Aly floors. Drill holes all over. Drill holes in tranny support, drill holes in the chassis stiffener (the one with the 6 6mm bolts) Dump handbrake assy . Make cusom wiring. Use lightweight alternator. Use drilled brake rotors, preferably with Aly hats.
Use 75TS calipers. (Aly!) Use 75TS starter motor. Aly radiator.
Go on a diet. Use Aly flywheel, drill the bellhouse (yes you can!) Use extreme lightweight F1 mirrors inside and out. Use lightweight ATL fuel tank. Use lightweight Kenlowe fan and electric water pump. Use Fiat Panda oil filter. (saves half over stock AND you carry less oil) .Need I go on? ...

post #15 of 1078 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

we once had a GTA in that was drilled so much it did about 748 kilo's. Honest. It was like swiss cheese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode