38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
Look what I found...

Yes its another barn find.

Dear Mister Campbell,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1493.20198 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint, manufactured on the 6th October 1959 and sold on the 12th October 1959 to N.S.U. Werke, Germany.

The body colour is Alfa red.

The number you provided me doesn’t correspond to the engine originally fitted on this car.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

I took a close look at the car yesterday. The rockers are solid, no rust bubbles or deformation, the wheel arches are solid, the floor should be. Has a set of headers. The interior is all there, but much more tired than my GTVs. I don't know whats in the trunk as it seems to have been glued shut by the weatherstripping (It looks to have melted) The weatherstripping on the tail lights is doing the same thing.
The paint is shot, it will need a full paint job, the front end has lots of surface rust where it got crunched. The engine is dead, but the oilpan and pump are there. If I go for this, a 1600 or more likely a 1750 would find its way in there. I feel the rust is minimal, and almost all in the nose. I also think there is plenty of metal to so replacement shouldn't be necessary (I could be wrong, won't know until I try straightening things out however.)

What do you guys think? If I don't get it, the car won't ever go anyplace.

Will
Attached Images

zzarchi likes this.

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 PM

C'mon, it's allredy in your garage, isn't it ???
A wonderful project!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
C'mon, it's allredy in your garage, isn't it ???
A wonderful project!
Uh, no not quite. The front left tire has sunk into the ground. I don't know if I will get lucky twice and find a second set of tires that hold air. It was last registered in 1975. Its been sitting in its current place since about then as well. Getting could be easy, or it won't happen at all. The guy who owns the barn (and is the former owner of my GTV) does not own the Sprint. His friend does, however the guy hasn't even looked at the car in 20 years. I might get the car for free, or the guy could want a fortune for it. I did take more pictures but they will have to wait awhile as I had to borrow a digital camera from a friend, who will email the rest to me when he gets back from Hawaii.

The bigger issue is having the $ to really do anything with it. There is a reason my race car is still in primer (with a real paint job with primer, not just grey primer) after 6 years. I don't really want to jump into another project before I get that one done. (But then I could by twice the paint and paint the Sprint the same body color as the Datsun. I'm thinking Aston Martin Titanium grey)

As far as the interior goes, the carpet might be ok, the seats aren't too bad, the headliner is gone, the dash is pretty good (could be great perhaps with a good cleaning) the door panels are pretty tired, as are the rear interior panels. The glove box is full of mouse nest (great more mummified mice ) The clutch and brake pedals move, the transmission shifts. Aside from the paint condition, the only really ugly part is the nose. Everything else is straight and there is no obvious major rust.

We will see how this unfolds. If I don't take it, the car will rust away where it sits.

Will

1988 BMW E30 M3

post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Platinum Subscriber

+ + + +

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Buy it. There is someone else just waiting to rescue and restore it if you do not relish he project. At least you can know you saved it! Just my opinion. Gordon Raymond
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I dig the car. I'd really like to own it. The project will just have to be a slow one. I also have the issue that the project would have to take place somewhere other than my garage as my landlady already frowns upon the fact that I have 2 "old cars" that require minor attention from time to time.

The block that is in the car looks to say its 1315-31028. Is this a 1300? Apparently its not the original. As I said, I'll keep everyone posted on how this plays out.

Will

1988 BMW E30 M3
post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I wonder if finding a front clip and grafting it on is cheaper than fixing the crunched front? The rest would just be a straight restoration of a tired but solid car.

With many project cars, however, I've noted that it's been hard saving toward my retirement!

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Yes it's a 1300. In Fusi, corresponds to a 58/59 750 Sprint Veloce engine, if he's reliable on these numbers. The hot water tube along the block below the carbs is a Veloce item, so I think it's believable. The block alone makes it very worthwhile.

I'd go for it if the price is right, regardless of how soon you can or cannot get to it. At least it will be on the road to recovery instead of rotting away, and if you decide you can't see it through, at least it'll be out of its grave and you can pass it along to someone who will see it through, and perhaps/probably make some money to fund your other projects in the bargain.

Andrew
post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Cool car, pretty close in number to mine. If it looks like it will be living in that barn for a few more years you might want to soak every nut and bolt you can find with WD40 or PJ blaster or Kroil or some such so that when the time comes it's a little bit easlier to work on.

A Sprint
A Spider
post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
why is it that always the same guys have these wonderful barn finds, whereas the rest of us have to spend a lot of time to find our cars and pay top dollar
Just kidding....great find!

Still, wishing that one day I will be the one opening a barn somewhere and finding a forgotten treasure

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Peter, you simply need to be "hooked up"; in order to do so, befriend every farmer in your area.

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Occassionally, I go downtown for lunch-- and sometimes I then have trouble finding where I parked my daily driver.

Then when finally find I find it--it seems like the equivalent of a "garage" find.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathung View Post
Peter, you simply need to be "hooked up"; in order to do so, befriend every farmer in your area.
It also helps to know a farmer who likes Alfas, who's brother was a factory trained mechanic and worked on Alfas till his untimely demise. Honestly, my GTV is the only thing of any worth that was given to me by anyone.

As far as redoing the front on this, I don't have access to a welder or plasma cutter so it will be far easier for me to remove the dents myself. I know how to do body work, and assuming there is enough solid metal on the front end, I should be able to get the front end cleaned up fairly quickly. I hate bondo so I will do my best to use as little as absolutely possible. I almost think getting the trunk open will be a bigger challenge than fixing the front end. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Will

1988 BMW E30 M3
post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
why is it that always the same guys have these wonderful barn finds, whereas the rest of us have to spend a lot of time to find our cars and pay top dollar
Just kidding....great find!

Still, wishing that one day I will be the one opening a barn somewhere and finding a forgotten treasure
Apparently many people make this mistake of keeping their enthusiasm regarding old cars too themselves in the belief that if everybody knew they would not find that ultimate barn find bargain.

Apparently the opposite is actually required and what barn finders do, ie: they sing about it and make sure everybodies knows that they are an old car nutter. People then mention things about what they saw and when, etc. in simple conversation, ie: thought it might interest you ... and then the trail starts .

Thus I will be doing my best at being my areas old car nutter ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Is open behind the back seat to crawl through and push, or poke with a stick or something at the latch? Or was it a welded rubber seals issue? If so, heat might work.
Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode