Problem with Classic Alfa website security? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Problem with Classic Alfa website security?

I was attempting to access the CA site to order some parts, but instead a warning popped up that my connection with CA was not secure and individuals might be trying to steal account information.

This has never appeared before on any site.

Anyone else received this warning when trying to access the CA site?

Any of our British Isle Alfisiti seen this today?

Thanks

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It works fine for me, maybe just an over eager security program on you computer?

Tim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Are you running AVG software?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Garage
No problems for me when I ordered from there yesterday or when I've gone on to the site today

1975 GT Junior with 2 litre lump
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Everything was fine, earlier today.

Then, when I tried to sign in to my account, the screen changed and I got something that said, "Your account is not secure. This server could not prove that it was Welcome to Classic Alfa. It's security certificate is from www dot epicsadacia dot ro."

Not sure what to do; advice?

Ray

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 05-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
Im not sure what is going on, but I got the same thing with the security warning. It also pops up as unsecured for me as well.

Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Me too now if I try to log in (didn't try that yesterday).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
It's security certificate is from www dot epicsadacia dot ro."
The security certificate from Romania looks like one of two possibilities: Either the site was hacked or there was a man-in-the-middle attack.
I would suggest the following:
1. Do not log in and/or use your credit card until the problem is fixed.
2. Make Classic Alfa aware (by phone or e-mail) that there is a problem. The more complaints they get the more serious they will take the problem.
3. When security can be trusted again (i.e. when they use a proper and valid security certificate), change your passwords on the site (as passwords and/or credit card information may have been compromised).

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM

Well, said. I take these warnings seriously when they happen. Also, I don't do a lot of on-line ordering, perferring instead to talk to a live human either through a phone call or by email. Classic Alfa is always cordial and happy to sell you parts via email/phone, as are most vendors. True it's a little less convenient but a lot safer.

Just tried to link to the CL site and got a warning pop-up. This is quite recent. They really need to know about this. I'm going to send them an email asap.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 05-20-2017 at 01:45 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Update. I sent Richard Norris/Classic Alfa an email after I made the above post. He replied immediately and asked for this link so presumably we'll hear from him. The problem is most likely with the company that manages CA's server and web page, not with CA. With all the ransomeware attacks going on around the world, I think it pays to be especially vigilant.

Last edited by 180OUT; 05-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:44 PM

From Richard Norris/Classic Alfa

>Hi Jim,
>Thanks very much. It's 9.30 on Saturday night here so I can't do too much until Monday. I also can't log on to my Alfa BB account until I'm back in the office. Would you mind doing me a huge favour and post once more on BB and say that I can assure customers that their credit card details are 100% safe as all card payments are processed through SagePay - one of Europe's most trusted payment solutions. Credit card information from a web order is never passed through our site or visible to our staff. We have notified our Hosting company and hope to get it resolved my Monday. In the meantime please just email us a list of any parts you need.
>I would really appreciate that Jim!
>
>Many thanks,
>Richard
>

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 AM

Garage
This post from Classic Alfa is on Facebook

20.05.17 We are currently experiencing an issue with the checkout section of our webshop - if you are having issues please email us a list of the parts you need (include our part numbers) along with your name and address and contact phone number and the delivery address (if different). We will then contact you to process the order. We hope to have the problem resolved within 48 hours. Apologies, the team at Classic Alfa,

1975 GT Junior with 2 litre lump
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:07 AM

I've always ordered parts from CA via email requests. I guess I'm "old school" in that respect, but I prefer to talk to a live human (even in ascii) when I order parts. I'm sure Richard will set things right when he can talk to the people who maintain his website and server.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The British penchant for having everything in order will have this matter dealt with post haste. Life as we know it will resume, shortly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode