What's the estimate cost to restore this car - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
What I mean by restoring is making it run on the road, and I'll try to restore it with help of a professional
OK. Well, it will certainly cost less to do a "street level" restoration than a "concours level" one. But using professional help will add to the budget. Consider doing some of the mechanical work yourself - it isn't rocket science.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
OK. Well, it will certainly cost less to do a "street level" restoration than a "concours level" one. But using professional help will add to the budget. Consider doing some of the mechanical work yourself - it isn't rocket science.
To you, it isn't, but to me... it might be. I guess I'll read the Alfa owners bible to see about the engine while eating Italian food.

DMA
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:15 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
Where in the US are you? Depending on where you are, there might be a huge following of knowledgeable Alfisti in your area. Don't worry about being only 18 and not having the skills to work on the car. Think of it as an amazing learning experience, and the chance to bring back something that has been hidden away for a long time. You should post some more pics of the car. It will help us understand what it needs and what might not need to be messed with immediately. If you can turn a wrench, and have an interest in learning about mechanical things, it should be a fun and rewarding adventure. Sure, there might be things that are way beyond your ability or comfort level, but cross that bridge when you get to it.

Do you have any idea why it was parked in the first place? Was it kept indoors?

There are lots of places to get parts from. I've been buying a lot of parts for my '59 Sprint from Classic Alfa in England. 750-101 Parts - Classic Alfa
I know, expensive shipping from the UK. The truth is, not so much, and I've found the parts are cheaper there than they are here even with shipping included.
Other parts suppliers:
OK Parts Germany. OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH
Alfaholics UK. 750/101 Series Giulietta Parts | Alfa Romeo
Alfa Stop UK AlfaStop - passionate about Giuliettas (vintage Alfa Romeo Spares/Parts)

Parts for the Spiders are easy to find, sure some are expensive, but not all.

A couple books you might pick up are Pat Braden's books "Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible"https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Romeo-Owners-Bible-Braden/dp/0837607078/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489698726&sr=8-1&keywords=Pat+Braden+Alfa+Romeo and "All Alloy Twin cam Companian. https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Romeo-Al...den+Alfa+Romeo
They aren't dedicated shop manuals, however they are useful.

Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
I'm in the Southeast part of the US, or Georgia to be specific.

DMA
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Another site you might try...Giuliettas.com...
all the best
chuck
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Thanks Chuck

DMA
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 AM

I started to restore my first alfa (giulia 101 sprint) when I got my driving license, at 17.

Back then my alfa was worth a couple of thousand. Now maybe 30/40000. But I did it slow and correct, though nowhere near concours...I started with a rust free chassis and body, with clapped out mechanics.

If your veloce has the correct veloce engine that came with the car (and that is a major point!), IS indeed a real veloce with all the bits (not just a spider with a couple of double webers bolted on), then you are looking at a very wanted/prized collector's alfa romeo.
Hence, there is only one way to restore this, and that is not with the aid of youtube videos
Once you hit rust, youtube can't and won't help I'm afraid (), this has to be done by people who have worked on these cars before.

so as mentioned above: post good photos (not just the outside paint, but under car, rockers, under carpet of the floors etc, etc, etc) and you will get a more precise evaluation of the situation.

If it is solid and you just want it running (imo, a far better position to leave it so, than tackling a restoration without the learned skills) then a clever 18 year old can manage that...with help of the many guys on here.

What you don't want to do is start pulling apart a real veloce........it'll have more value as it is now, than if bondod together to make it 'look' nice.

Great project, keep us informed....any nice sharp photos will be gladly drooled upon by all of us 'alfisti'

You can write the alfa factory in Italy for precise details of model, year, ext. and interior colours as originally delivered..........costs 20 or 30 euros and they just need the full chassis number.

Dom

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Okay, I got the photos from my phone and trying to attach it. Let's see how it works.
I had these images months ago. Whenever I go to my grandmother's house, I'll take more picture including the inside.
Attached Images

DMA

Last edited by DMA; 03-17-2017 at 05:30 AM.
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Those aren't great pictures, but they show enough of the car to make most think it might need only mechanical restoration to enjoy. Even with some rust on the floors and frame rails, you can still enjoy driving the car....so long as the rust does not affect the structural integrity of the car.

You can do all of the suspension work yourself. It's really not that hard. Just take a ton of pictures before you take things apart. If the things you take apart will remain apart for an extended period, but the fasteners in plastic bags and label them.

If you don't want to install the engine and gear box, have someone else do it. Do the suspension overhaul, then send the car to a reputable Alfa wrench to install the engine and gearbox and check your work.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Those aren't great pictures, but they show enough of the car to make most think it might need only mechanical restoration to enjoy. Even with some rust on the floors and frame rails, you can still enjoy driving the car....so long as the rust does not affect the structural integrity of the car.

You can do all of the suspension work yourself. It's really not that hard. Just take a ton of pictures before you take things apart. If the things you take apart will remain apart for an extended period, but the fasteners in plastic bags and label them.

If you don't want to install the engine and gear box, have someone else do it. Do the suspension overhaul, then send the car to a reputable Alfa wrench to install the engine and gearbox and check your work.
You're right about the things it needs mechanically, but the inside, there is nothing left but a spare tire and the glass from the windshield.

DMA
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It seems like a great car and a great project to start with (as the body doesn't seem to need any serious attention)! Having my first Alfa at 16 I wasn't too mechanically educated, but I had a lot of fun figuring it out (and still do 7 years later on my second Alfa - yes as stated before it's a real disease ). All I can say is just start with the easy stuff and build up some confidence and search the forum/ask questions here.

I don't know of the availability of digital workshop manuals on Giulietta's/Giulia's, but maybe 'Papajam' here on the forum has them. Because workshop manuals and parts manuals are a great resource to see how things go apart and more importantly how they should go back together.

Is it possible (most of) the interior parts are in boxes somewhere?

Tim
post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 AM

I think it's awesome that you're looking to jump in and start working to get this back on the road. That said this is a very different scenario from when I was your age and was trying to get my $300 Datsun 260Z into drivable condition.

Said bluntly - if this is a true Veloce it is a very valuable car. Your #1 priority should be to not screw it up. Something like a '77 Spider would be a much better car for a novice to start learning to wrench, as there are plenty of them around and the values are never going to skyrocket like the 101 Veloces have.

If the car is in the Atlanta area you might want to give Paul Spruell a call. 770-457-2532, check out his website at Alfa parts and other Sports Car Performance Parts. He's another great resource for Alfa parts but more importantly he knows these cars inside and out and is a heck of a nice guy to boot. He'll steer you right.

Best of luck,
Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
You're right about the things it needs mechanically, but the inside, there is nothing left but a spare tire and the glass from the windshield.
You'll need to bust open the piggy bank if the seats and other interior bits are missing. Maybe you can find them in the garage somewhere. If not, they will be pricey. You don't have to put original seats in the car to drive and enjoy it. That can come much later when you are working and have the money. In the mean time, you might be able to find something in pick and pull that you can make work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalino1300 View Post
I don't know of the availability of digital workshop manuals on Giulietta's/Giulia's, but maybe 'Papajam' here on the forum has them. Because workshop manuals and parts manuals are a great resource to see how things go apart and more importantly how they should go back together.
Yes, Papajam hast them.

Brian __________________________________

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM

I take it Grandpa stashed the seats in the attic .. best spend your time finding those beauties. I can't imagine he just lost them. Either that or some shop has some unclaimed merchandise they were working on some years ago and forgot them. Happens everyday.
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalino1300 View Post
It seems like a great car and a great project to start with (as the body doesn't seem to need any serious attention)! Having my first Alfa at 16 I wasn't too mechanically educated, but I had a lot of fun figuring it out (and still do 7 years later on my second Alfa - yes as stated before it's a real disease ). All I can say is just start with the easy stuff and build up some confidence and search the forum/ask questions here.

Is it possible (most of) the interior parts are in boxes somewhere?
Yes, there is some interior part on the left side of the car. The carpet is red, and the seats are black with red lines. However, I don't have the seat belts for it. All I know about the seat belts is that a two-point seat belt is better than a three-point seat belt.

DMA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode