What's the estimate cost to restore this car - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
where can I find the VIN#?

DMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

It will be on the registration documents.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Yeah, I'll find out later.

DMA

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Or you can look at the firewall on the left, behind the carbs..
Just to thre right of the air duct going thru the firewall.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
If the engine that is in the car is the one that your Grandma installed I'd leave it in myself.

If you intend to sell it then sure put the correct engine in. Please note not just any old 1600cc Alfa engine will do, ie. one from a 105 series GTV would devalue the car considerably and you might as well leave the car as it was.

But by the sounds of it the most expensive part of the car is okay, ie. the body. If that is the case you have saved yourself a considerable fortune. Whatever you do resist the temptation to paint her but instead just carefully clean and bring the current paint back to life. Why?, as once you remove the paint it will get crazy expensive again, no matter how good it appears to currently looks.

Otherwise this will be a reasonably easy restoration assuming that the car is 100% complete. I'd concentrate on making it 100% mechanically sound and safe (replace all rubber fuel and brake lines as a must) and enjoy the driving and club meetings
Pete
101/105guy likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 03-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM
GTD

where can I find the VIN# ?
Attached Images

Alfa Sapiens
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Thank you GTD. I'll write it down somewhere whenever I get to my grandma's place.
I'll might make a new thread later.

DMA

Last edited by DMA; 03-15-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
Without good pics, your replies will be few. If you cannot do the work yourself, the monies spent for outsourced labor are seldom recovered.
As GTD wrote, without a photos, a more well-defined scope of work, and the answer to who will restore the car, we can't give you a budget. We can tell you that it will come out to more than you plan at the outset.

Yes, I know the photos are coming.

What do you mean by "restore"? Just getting it running and back on the road, or ready to win first prize in a concours? The $ difference between these is significant. And will you do the work yourself, or have a professional do it? The answer to that question will have a big impact on the budget too.

I understand that the paint and body are OK and "all it really needs is the interior and mechanical stuff". But "mechanical stuff" isn't a very precise scope of work. I predict that once you get into it, you will find that more areas need attention than you had first thought. For example, any car that has sat for many years is going to need all of its rubber parts replaced - these decay with time, as well as mileage. At a minimum you should plan on replacing the giubo and going through the braking and fuel systems.

If you want to get a start on a budget, go to the websites of some of the Alfa parts suppliers (Centerline and Re-Originals here in the US, Classic Alfa and Alfaholics in the UK) and start noting the prices of carpet kits, door panels, upholstery, etc.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-15-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

nobody yet has mentioned the tiny possibility of rust which could be a big game changer
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4driver View Post
nobody yet has mentioned the tiny possibility of rust which could be a big game changer
Rust? On an old Alfa? How likely is that?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have restored a number of Giulietta cars and they are not much different than your Giulia. The cost of painting and body work is the greatest restoration expense. The cost is determined by the condition and level of restoration. I restored a 1957 Spider more than forty years ago and maybe should have purchased a restored car instead.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
DMA

Garage
Alfajay,

What I mean by restoring is making it run on the road, and I'll try to restore it with help of a professional because I don't know many things about cars. Plus, what do you expect someone, that's under the age of 18, would restore the car all by himself only using YouTube? Also, thank you for giving me another site other than centerline alfa, and inform me about the rubber in the car along with the flex disc.

DMA

DMA

Last edited by DMA; 03-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
DMA,

All the Alfisti celebrate when young folk get infected with the Alfa virus. Unfortunately, there is no cure... Fortunately, there is no cure!

You seem to have a genuine passion for the car. Restore it to whatever level you want and can at this time of your life. Get it back on the road, take care of it and don't ever sell it unless there is no other alternative. If that day should ever come, sell it here on the BB.

I saw my first Alfa in the autumn of 1965; a 1959 Super Spider (Giulietta Veloce). It was white with a red interior. That car was sold to a guy who wanted it for his daughter; who knows where it ended up?

Keep us posted regarding your progress; everyone on the BB will help and encourage all that we can.

Glad to have you with us.

Ray Smith
Tulsa, OK

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
Alfajay,

What I mean by restoring is making it run on the road, and I'll try to restore it with help of a professional because I don't know many things about cars. Plus, what do you expect someone, that's under the age of 18, would restore the car all by himself only using YouTube? Also, thank you for giving me another site other than centerline alfa, and inform me about the rubber in the car along with the flex disc.

DMA
I bought my first Alfa when I was 18, or under 18?, and started it's restoration (still going ) and then another (it's restoration was finished and it was raced for many years ) and then another (recently) ...

Welcome to the world of Alfa Romeos
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Figure on $125,000 for a quality job.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Voltaire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode