Wiring for protective headlight relays - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Wiring for protective headlight relays

I could really do with some advice from experienced hands here...

In my Giulietta Sprint '59 I want to use some stronger bulbs (not sure which yet but the normal ones are not very helpful at night...) and to that effect I am "inserting" 2 relays (one for main beams and one for low beams) right after the fuse box. I have managed to get some 075mm2 gauged wire in the appropriately textile braided colour code which I intend to use between the fuse box and the relays.
Up to fuse box wiring is 1x2.5mm2 and after relays wiring is 2x1mm2 gauge.
Question 1: Is it ok to use this 075mm2 between the fuse box and the relays (2x0.75mm2)?
Question 2: the relays need live current supply from somewhere...where should I get it from?
(Note: my guiding info is Papajam's Wiring Diagram for Giluietta Sprint 10102-R6)

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice

Rgds
Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
0.75 mm2 is good enough between the fusebox and the relays, they don't draw much current. You could take the current from the dynamo or the starter, depending on where you want to place the relays. I would use at least 2 mm2 wire and keep the combined length, source -> relay -> head lights, as short as possible. Both are good for minimizing the voltage drop. Don't forget to put a fuse in this circuit, 10A should be good for two 55W bulbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode