Throttle linkage from accelerator to carbs - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
Throttle linkage from accelerator to carbs

I've looked through a ton of pictures on here, but I haven't found what the throttle linkage from the firewall to the carbs looks like, or should look like. Since Im moving toward having a driveable car it would be good to know what I'm missing and what I will need to fabricate to get from the firewall to the carbs.

I'd love to see how people have done it on 1750 or 2 liter conversions. Anyone have any pictures and or dimensions of the parts needed?

Thanks,
Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:59 PM

Well, what parts do you have? The throttle linkage on a 750/101 veloce is pretty much the same as the linkage on a carbureted 105/115. If your Sprint was a Normale and you are installing a 1750/2000 with dual carbs, you'll need a bellcrank and bracket. Centerline sells an aftermarket version. It's their p/n WC506 selling for $82.40:

Also get a few ball ends (centerline p/n TL441, $7 each), some 3/16" rod and a 5 mm x .8 die to make up a link that looks like:

Or you can buy one pre-made from Classic Alfa. It's their p/n FL051/1, selling for $17.39. Closer to home, Pierce Manifold sells all sorts of Weber linkage bits; see their page at: http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/181.htm

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the firewall piece that attaches to the accelerator pedal. That is it. I know there is a bell crank that fits on the intake, but I don't have a clue what the (I'm guessing) rod that runs from the firewall to the bell crank looks like. Is it straight? Does it have kinks in it (to clear things like carb accelerator pumps or what have you)? Yes the car is a Normale, but it had a Veloce engine in it (only the bottom end was left when I got the car, I should have held onto it but sold it to fund some of the restoration.) My plan was to get some stainless rod, and some ball ends, thread the rod to accept the ball ends, and make what I need, but I have only a vague idea of what I think I need. For the bell crank to the carbs I was planning on a pair of ball ends on some stainless allthread, unless it needs to be bent or something to reach the carbs. If everything is just straight rods, no big deal, easy enough to make. I don't know what its supposed to look like however.

Will

1988 BMW E30 M3

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlpltGTV View Post
I have the firewall piece that attaches to the accelerator pedal.
I'm guessing you mean the part that is attached to the firewall with two, "U" -shaped pivots.

Quote:
I know there is a bell crank that fits on the intake, but I don't have a clue what the (I'm guessing) rod that runs from the firewall to the bell crank looks like. Is it straight?
Yes, both the long and short rods are straight. Normales and veloces may use the same horizontal rod; their bellcranks are different, but the purpose of that rod is the same.

Quote:
My plan was to get some stainless rod, and some ball ends, thread the rod to accept the ball ends, and make what I need
Cutting threads on stainless may be hard. Zinc plated mild steel will be easier to work with.

Quote:
I was planning on a pair of ball ends on some stainless allthread
Good luck finding stainless 5 mm x .8 allthread in Napa. I just get 3/16" rod at my local TrueValue (and yes, 3/16" is only 4.76 mm) and thread it with a die.

Alfaholics have some of these parts as well; look at: https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...d-carburettor/ about 85% down the page.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-16-2017 at 07:06 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Here is a drawing from my 105 Sprint parts manual that shows the linkage. The 101 veloce linkage is pretty much the same.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Throttle Linkage Diagram.pdf (1.49 MB, 53 views)

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 PM

And 750, 101
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept 101 View Post
The 101 Normale carb linkage rods are 142 mm (the one towards the firewall) and 100 mm long threads included, and they are straight. 5 mm thickness.....The carb bell crank itself looks like in the attached pic.
I was assuming that Will plans to run dual sidedrafts - not a single downdraft - though he hasn't explicitly said so. His first post contained the phrase "linkage from the firewall to the carbs".

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I was assuming that Will plans to run dual sidedrafts - not a single downdraft - though he hasn't explicitly said so. His first post contained the phrase "linkage from the firewall to the carbs".
Yes, dual 40mm Dellorto DHLA or Mikuni pHH (would rather run the Mikunis as they are better carbs than Dellorto or Webers in my opinion. I don't know if I can figure out a linkage that will work however.) I was digging through my box of random Alfa parts and I think I found a bell crank, I just need to see if it will bolt to my intake.

Thanks for the help.

Will

1988 BMW E30 M3
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I guess I was in "Veloce mode" (speedwise) when reading Will´s first post

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode