My 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale Restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale Restoration

Fellow Alfa lovers,

I have been trying to decide if I should begin a thread about my efforts to restore my 1964 Giulia Spider. After all, George Kraus, Pat Hung and others created great threads; what could I possibly add to the discussion? Pat said I should not worry about others had or had not done, but just share the story, so here goes.

I "discovered" Alfa Romeos in the fall of 1965 when I was a senior in high school (a '59 Super Spider). It would be 13 years later before I would buy my first Alfa; a '75 Holland Blue Alfetta 2.0 sedan. An '88 Red Milano Verde would follow in the summer of '90. In spite of the Alfa bugs that plagued both, I really loved those cars.

In February, 2014, I discovered the ALFABB and began reading all the threads I could find on buying, repairing, rebuilding and restoring Alfa Spiders. I asked dozens of questions and received lots of guidance about owning such a car.

In May, 2014, I decided to buy a 101 Giulietta Spider. After dealing with a host of scammers and junkers, (and just missing out on some truly great cars that were sold just before I discovered they were for sale), I had decided to just give up on the whole endeavor. Anyway, Miatas were everywhere for very good prices…

But I thought, "OK; just one more try." So, I opened the ever-present online Hemming's Classifieds and found a '66 Giulia Spider for sale. It was totally disassembled, except for suspension. Mike Besic had gone through both the engine and transmission; both were fine (I called Mike just to make sure).

It was in White Plains, NY; a "fur-piece away" (as my West Virginia grandmother would say) from Tulsa. I spoke with the owner several times who said he had purchased the car to restore with his sons, but he was much too busy to get to it, so he decided to let it go.

I had it inspected in NY and was told it was of “good driver quality”. Shortly after that, I read a thread on the BB about the car in which the opinions varied as to whether or not it would be a wise purchase. I thought I could hear Ricky Nelson singing: “Fools rush in…”

We struck a deal and my sons, Trey, David, and I made the 2,900-mile round-trip to Domenick's in White Plains and brought the Spider home to Tulsa. Road trips to buy Alfas are great fun

Ray
pathung likes this.

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 01-29-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage

I thought I would post the photos that were on the Hemmings Classified ad. They're not the highest quality, but you'll get to see the "package" that came with the car.
Attached Images

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage

Here are a couple of photos of the car as we first saw it and one of the Spadaro brothers.
Attached Images

Tom Frasca likes this.

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Lottsa good project parts there Ray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Gordon,

I have to confess that I had only seen ONE Giulietta or Giulia Spider in my life (the '59 Super Spider back in '65), but thought there had to be a lot more parts than those pictured in the ad. Some friends of mine from Long Island went to see the car right after I bought it and sent about 200 photos of all the parts that were in boxes, crates, zip lock bags, wrapped in butcher paper or 30-gallon leaf bags.

Needless to say, I was really overwhelmed and wondered how would I ever get this thing back together?! It was like a giant jigsaw puzzle, but without the lid of the box to look at. LOL Again, with the singing; The Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose,"It's too late to turn back now..." But a great many parts were in great shape and just needed some cleaning, polishing and assembling.

As Patton said in the movie; "God help me; I love it!"

post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Smile

Reading your comments, this song by the late Guy Clark seems uniquely appropriate. Its something we can all identify, I think.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Jim,

What a great song! I never heard of this fellow, but he sounds like of one of my uncles who cut some records in Chicago (Chicago?!) way back in the day.

I think you have added a dimension to this thread that is far sweeter than I could have imagined at the outset and it may merit a thread of it's own; songs that reflect our experience with life and our Alfas.

Thanks,

Ray

post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
i look forward to seeing your car restored!

1992 alfa romeo spider veloce
2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I thought I would explain the title of this thread as no Spider begins life as an Abnormale, so how can you "restore" one? In, fact, I was completely unaware of the term until I discovered the term in use on the BB. It seemed to be most suitable, even though non-Veloce cars were never known as Normales.

In my pursuit of an Alfa Spider, I found that some came with one carb, but others came with dual Webers. I remembered reading about a 1964 Pontiac GTO that had four Webers on four separate chromed intakes. The pictures showed this beautiful configuration that blew me away. When the Hemmings ad showed the twin Webers, I have to admit, I was elated. Granted, this was not the thing that convinced me to buy the car, but they sure didn't hurt, either.

I'm sure that a host of BBers will lament my emotional short-sightedness considering all the stories about Webers, but I waited for 39 years to get a Spider and if I can have one with Webers, then
all-the-more wonderful! Of course, you sharp-eyed rascals will identify these as Spanish-built Webers; I've had enough encouragement that they will work just fine.

In all likelihood, this will be my only Spider, so just like Frank sang it, I'm going to restore it, "My Way!".
Attached Images

Last edited by Raimondo; 04-28-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sorry about the inverted Weber DOCE 40
Attached Images

post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:31 AM

I still recognize them........ They get stacked that way in my shop often..
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm not sure what the PO but one intended for the Spider, but in addition to having the engine and transmission overhauled at Mike Besic Motorsports, he asked Mike to modify a SPICA manifold to run dual Weber DOCE 40s.

Greig Smith said it would work OK, but never look period-correct. He advised picking up an early 105 screw-in thermo manifold. I checked around and some really nice ones were selling for $250+, but coin was tight at the time. I later picked up one from the East coast for less than half that.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raimondo; 02-01-2017 at 08:50 AM.
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM

In my own experience, FI manifolds are a bad idea. I only see those that do not work well with Webers, owner assumes it the Webers, and I get the job. Those I see, NEVER work well. Any Weber manifold "fixes" the issues.
This is my opinion from my own experiences. Others tell me they work fine.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Suggest you purchase a 105 aircleaner housing, etc. as will be better than those air filters ...

And yes, dual Webers are cool
Pete
GioGTVTS likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I think I need to say a couple of things at this point:

1) I have no intention of making any attempt to pass the Spider off as a Veloce. I have seen cars for sale on the net that are clearly 10123 Normales, but the seller having "brought the car up to Veloce specs" went so far as to have the Veloce script on the trunk lid: the Italian word for this is "schifo" or "schifoso" (ski-fo or ski-fo-so = to the max!)- disgusting!

2) My comment about wanting the Spider to look period-correct was motivated by my appreciation for all things-Alfa. I'm certain that enlightened Alfisti would be able to distinguish an early 105 manifold from an OEM 101 1600 Veloce intake manifold, in a New York minute.
It's enough for me that they would appreciate the effort.

Last edited by Raimondo; 02-02-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode