My 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale Restoration - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up Let's avoid being slammed!

Gordon,

By all means, I wish to avoid being SLAMMED!

As I have never driven a Spider, and thus am not familiar with how a OEM set up should ride, stock springs will be the logical choice.

Please send the photos and all advice is most appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

You need to see these components to know how they work. For racing Alfa offered nesting spacers front and back to adjust ride height with different springs in the racing parts book. You could buy individual spacers, or sets. Today these can be easily made up from aluminum stock if you have a good size lathe.
I'm guessing that different spacers were used on Sprint / Spider/ SS bepending on chassis assembled weight, IF springs were the same. Remember that Alfa factory springs were relatively soft rather than stiff from the factory. Others will know more.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM

I looked at a picture of my 1964 Spider taken when new in October 1963 and the front wheel spacing - tire tread to wheel arch - was uniform around the arc.

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Chazz,

How much space between the two? Can you post the photo?

Thanks

Ray

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
I have seen Spider with what appears to be an inordinate amount of space between the tires and the wheel well openings while others not so much. Is this due to spring height or are the plates the springs rest in different on U.S cars?
I would say that those "off road" spiders are the result of aftermarket springs that are too long / too stiff. Suppliers can find aftermarket springs that have the proper diameter and uncompressed length to fit a 750/101, the but the light weight of these cars doesn't compress those springs much, leaving the car too high.

The problem of US delivery cars sitting higher in order to meet DOT headlight height requirements came later, around 1970.

Which begs the question: Where can you get proper springs for a 750/101 intended for street use? Not ultra stiff, proper ride height - e.g., like the stock springs.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-15-2017 at 02:33 PM.
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Seat rail parts; something else I need

After sorting out a host of parts, I have discovered that I have the roller sections of the seat rails for my '64 Giulia Spider, but not the parts that bolt to the floor of the car, itself.

I have no idea what the missing parts look like, so I'm hoping someone has some good photos to post.

Anyone know of a source for these items?. I've looked at complete sets for sale on the 'net, but don't want to spend the $500+, when all I need are the bottom four pieces.

Thanks,

Ray

post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 AM
GTD

Ray
You can see what the trolleys & tracks look like on this thread:
Question on the Sprint seat rails

Alfa Sapiens
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Ray, I am pretty sure Classics Alfa is now selling them. Call and speak to Filipo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
After sorting out a host of parts, I have discovered that I have the roller sections of the seat rails for my '64 Giulia Spider, but not the parts that bolt to the floor of the car, itself.

I have no idea what the missing parts look like, so I'm hoping someone has some good photos to post.

Anyone know of a source for these items?. I've looked at complete sets for sale on the 'net, but don't want to spend the $500+, when all I need are the bottom four pieces.

Thanks,

Ray
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I would say that those "off road" spiders are the result of aftermarket springs that are too long / too stiff.
Or how they actually were back in their day. Modern and restored/suped-up cars are so much lower that we are shocked when we see an original.

Look at 105 GTVs, a genuine height one is rarer than hens teeth
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
While I've sent the dogs out to sniff out some seat tracks for me, I decided to contribute to the restoration of another '64 Giulia Spider
that is owned by Jennie Cluck, a long-time, Tulsa member of the AROC of Oklahoma. Jennie and Scott Fowler, club VP, are much farther along
on her restoration than I am on mine.

Jennie's car came with Giulietta seats frames, so she and Scott sourced some correct frames that were rusted horribly and eaten in two in some places. She had all the trolley and track pieces, and though rusty, they were nothing like the frames.

Scott brought them over and I put everything into my 100 gallon electrolysis tank and cooked them for 2-3 days. I only took a couple "before" photos, but the "after" ones show how nice everything turned out.
Attached Images

post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Photo orientation assistance, please!

OK, I gotta have some help with these photos! Every one was taken with the phone in portrait position; straight up. Why are these photos lying on their side in a landscape position?

One of you iPhone techies needs to offer me some love on this or I'm gonna have to call my 9 year-old grandson, Isak, for help!

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I download photos from my phone to my computer first, then using Microsoft Paint I check their orientation, size (reduce them) and save them again (as this reduces the number of bytes). Now they are ready to attach to the BB or any other site.

Straight from the camera and you are playing a lottery.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Tomorrow, I'm taking my repro Veloce headers to be Jet-Hot coated in OKC; I could ship them, but it will be a great day for a road trip for me and the Mrs.

I'm taking a pair of Giulia Super headers for our Alfa club VP, Scott Fowler; his Super is white, so he's going with a white coating.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go with a silver color or a polished look. I know the silver is more in line with the OEM look, but I've seen a couple of 101 1600 Spiders with the polished coating and it looks really good. George K and TKO have headers that look to be the polished coating and it looks great with a black cam cover.

When I get back from OKC, I'll take a couple of tons of stuff to the zinc plater and powder coater. This marks a new direction in my restoration as this will conclude the cleaning and rust removal and refinishing of all the front and rear suspension pieces, all the fasteners, brackets, engine and transmission supports and other stuff that came in dozens of unmarked sandwich, quart and gallon zip lock baggies.

In light of some incredible sheet metal work we've seen lately here on the BB, having headers, nuts & bolts, and other bits sorted may not seem like a big deal to most, but it signals the "reassembly"phase of the restoration has begun. Frankly, I'm stoked, or whatever it is that they say, these days

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Ray, FIT THEM TO ENGINE CHASSIS BEFORE Jet Hot. Otherwise you may need to re-Jet Hot after applying custom fitting bends to the headers. Note that USED headers will fit engines, but not all chassis, and NEW headers may require fitting to the head, then collector "Y" and finally the chassis. Torch heat is required for perfect fit, and will ruin coatings.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode