My 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale Restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Reality sets in...

As these things often go, it turns out that sometime in the last century the Spider had been subjected to some deplorable body work to pass it off as a good car and it was in desperate need of extensive help to correct some horrible driveway-quality repair work and lots of rust issues. I can't imagine what it would have been like if it had not been stored in dry garages for the last 30 years!

This is so ironic considering my very first thread in which I wrote:

“My sons and I are looking for a '59-'65 Giulietta or Giulia Spider; an Abnormale, Normale or Veloce will work for us. We need a project that is intact as possible w/o significant body damage with no more than 15-20% rust. A car requiring heavy body work is beyond our capabilities.”

Beyond our capabilities?! LOL Man, I had no idea what awaited us, but to be fair, I did not buy the Spider from a BBer.

Before I get started in all of that, here’s what I know for sure:

Dear Mister Smith,

With reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 379356 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider (101.23), engine series AR 00112, manufactured on the 15th April 1964 and sold on the 16th July 1964 to Alfa Romeo Inc., Newark USA.
The body colour is white, with black interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

Other than that:
• the trunk lid and the hood match the PF number in trunk (105217) so, are original to the car
• the seats had Aprile 1964 stamped on the back of the black vinyl
• the 1600 engine (00112-06212) may be original, though one guy said it might be out of a 63 Sprint
• the transmission may out of a Super
• the front discs seem to be factory for an April, ’64 Giulia Spider
Attached Images

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As you can see from the last photo, the entire trunk pinch weld seam was only brazed in and only then in spots.

It appears that acid from who knows how many acid spills had eaten away the right portion of the trunk. All of this was hidden by paint and about 30 lbs of seam sealer. Everything was cut away and replaced with new metal.
Attached Images

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #48 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Unhappy

The body and paint guy took one look and said, "I'm going to use a dustless blaster and strip the entire car. You need to be prepared for the worst". I had no idea what the worst could possibly be, but I hoped for less than that...
Attached Images

post #49 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
We walked around the car after the blasting was finished and Tom said "You need to be prepared for the worst because there is a lot of rust hiding underneath all these rust spots that had been filled with bondo and covered up." Boy. how right he was. Fortunately for me, this was not his first rodeo with an Alfa Spider, but it did turn out to be the worst he had ever worked on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raimondo; 02-05-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #50 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Again, sorry about the inverted photos. Can't figure out what is causing this.

post #51 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

If you are posting from Australia, or using an Australian camera, photo's will normally be upside down. Don't worry about it.
GREAT photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #52 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
After the blasting removed all the paint and bondo (the stuff was everywhere), we found quite a bit of Celeste Blu paint up under the dash. I the Spider had been painted that color at some point in it's life, the black it now wears would make it's fourth color! Basta!

I think that all black 101 Spiders came with red interiors. My car came with an unused, 4-piece red carpet set which consists of 2 side rails, transmission, and driveshaft tunnel pieces. It also came with a complete red with red piping seat upholstery kit (2 seats) from Centerline Alfa for a 101 Giulia Spider, including upper and lower seat facing and backs. While these are all in excellent condition, I will be selling them all.

Back in early-September, many of us received the CI Fall Newsletter with it's photo coverage of the 2016 Monterey Car Week Alfa Contingent. I have no choice to confess that I don't smoke, don't drink, don't cuss, don't judge those who do and have loved only one woman for 75% of my life, but I go weak in the knees and lose all sense of control when I see beautiful Alfas! When I saw the beautiful camel-colored interior in the gorgeous dark blue Giulietta Spider with the license plate "LUCERTA", I knew that was the color I wanted for my Giulia Spider.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to identify the owner of the Giulietta Spider but, hope springs eternal. I'll just have to locate a leather or a vinyl as close to the material in LUCERTA, as possible. BTW - Lucerta is a word in the Siculu (Sicilian) dialect that is translated as lizard.

I thought about posting the respective photos from the CI Fall 2016 Newsletter, but decided to just provide the link to them

https://centerlinealfa.com/2016-Monterey

I will post the photos if the moderators give me the go-ahead to do so.

post #53 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
While I awaited the return of the Spider from body and paint work, I began to tackle a host of other tasks such as the front and rear suspensions. After checking out a host of threads, I decided to replace all the ball joints, track rod ends, silent blocks, shocks, springs front and rear wheel bearings, and all bearings and seals for the differential. I had to edit this and say that our local Alfa club expert mechanic, Ron Huff, is handling everything to do with the differential. Ron is a retired Alfa-trained professional.

In an effort to update the rear suspension, I ordered both the rear A Arm and Trailing Arm poly bushing kit only to discover that unless you will driving on streets of glass, the poly unit will produce a ride that be will significantly rougher than going with OEM silent blocks. If you've ever driven in Tulsa you'll know only about 25% of the streets are as smooth as they should be.

So, that's some more items I hope to sell to someone who could use them.

I looked for an easy way to remove the old, deteriorating SBs. I saw a thread where someone used a rig of Schedule 40 PVC fittings, threaded rod, nuts, washers to "pull" the SBs out. It proved to be a fool's errand for me. So, I submitted to conventional wisdom and drilled our the rubber, removed the inner steel sleeve, hack-sawed through the outer sleeve and cleaned up trailing and A arms.

I didn't think I would ever be able to get those devils out, but little-by-little, it's coming along. That's one less job to do before everything goes to the powder coater this Friday.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raimondo; 02-05-2017 at 06:15 PM.
post #54 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Patience! It works wonders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #55 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wink

Gordon,

I know you are smiling after reading my last post. I know; you told me so.

post #56 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 PM

The results are always worth while. :-)

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #57 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 PM

I sold it many years ago, so I don't have the build date. I bought in Pensacola Florida.
post #58 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
As I am preparing to have a ton of stuff powder coated, I recall a conversation I had with Greig Smith about the ride height of U.S market 101 Spiders. He mentioned that it had to do with the height of headlights, I think.

I have seen Spider with what appears to be an inordinate amount of space between the tires and the wheel well openings while others not so much. Is this due to spring height or are the plates the springs rest in different on U.S cars?

I intended to use the stock springs which I think give a softer ride, rather than go with the shorter yellow springs sold by C.I. What is the prevailing wisdom on this?

Thanks,

Ray
Attached Images

post #59 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM

The bottom edge of the sills should be parallel to leval ground at rest, the car should not tip right or left, with the car empty, all components in place and a full tank of fuel.
Yes ride height is adjustable with big aluminum shims, but front suspension must be reset with ride height changes. I've pictures I can send of my Ausca spider with an original Autodelta spring set. When I raced it it was "slammed" or sat much lower with the same spring / sway bar set it has. Now on the street, it sits close to as built height to avoid SLAMMING components on uneven streets!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #60 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Gordon,

I read in the Giulia Spare Parts manual that the Sprint and Spider springs sit in 12mm spring seats, while the SS has 8mm ones. I assume this refers to the depth, or rather the thickness, of the seats.

I don't recall the size of the ones on the rear.

Photos showing how all of this fits together would be most helpful.

Thanks

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode