My 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale Restoration - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here is a couple of photos that were taken after the head was installed and the transmission was bolted up. In the first, you can see that there is a block off plate where the mechanical fuel pump should go. I bought an electric fuel pump kit from Tony at Alfa Stop. In the second, you can see that the two half-circle rubber seals have not been installed at the back of the cam cover.

Since the head was installed, I spoke with Richard Jemison regarding some stronger cams for street use. Richard replied:

" Well the 10548-01 cams in the head are somewhat better than other stock Alfa cams, but are not performance cams by any measure. Their profile is in the PDF file.

If it were mine I would stick with the RjR 429 intake but use the RjR776 exhaust. Since the cam follower bores are not chamfered as the later 2 liter motors were the Cams should be built with a base circle of 1.040 (stock is 1.080) which means to set lash correctly, (.010 int and .012 exh on my cams) the shim thickness will be apx .027 thicker than those in your motor now. (50% of the bc change is .020 and difference in stock lash (average is .016 to .018) would be .007, or a total of .027 (+-) thicker shim)

That is the only requirement for installing the higher lift cams in a stock 1600 motor if set up to factory specs and likely since Mike built the head it has more room for lift than stock. I would not suggest any more cam than these. These will have both far more Torque (better drivability) and way more HP, from idle up.

Carb jetting will require a larger main jet (125-130) air corrector might be OK at 200 but likely will need to be 180/190. If it has a lean popping at low rpm steady state driving, then the idle jet will need to be enlarged to 50 F 8 or the 45F9 drilled to 50 (.020 fuel hole rather than .018)

Can`t think of any other changes that would need to be made."

While I'm not just jumping at the chance to dig into the Webers, Gordon has assured me that mere mortals can do this and survive!

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I guess the photos would help...

Someone mentioned that they thought the transmission was out of a Super, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell why.

Oh, BTW, the engine wasn't cleaned during the rebuild; not sure why?
I'm not looking for chrome-like finish, but I would really love to clean it up. Ideas?
Attached Images

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #33 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
How do I post photos so they don't flop over even if they're taken in a vertical pose?

post #34 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post

I'm not looking for chrome-like finish, but I would really love to clean it up. Ideas?
Use carb cleaner and steel wool, seems to give it a cleaned look.
Quote:
I guess the photos would help...

Someone mentioned that they thought the transmission was out of a Super, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell why.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM

I bought my '64 Giulia Spider new in late '63 and it had three shoe drum bakes on the front; I notice yours has discs.
post #36 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Chazz,

What is the build date of your Spider and where did you purchase it, if you don't mind my asking?

While I think that the discs were original, I have no way of proving it. Some of the BBers might have access to documentation that would indicate when discs became OEM in 1964.

I would love to have 4-wheel disc brakes and a LSD, but not having driven a Spider, I do know if it would need them or not. Great bragging fodder, though

post #37 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:35 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
... the engine wasn't cleaned during the rebuild; not sure why?
Looks clean to me.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #38 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Attached is an article that Jay Maveety sent me a few years ago. The last two pages describe a process using WD40 and carb cleaner with a wire brush to clean the aluminum. It works fantastically - try it - you won't be disappointed!

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: pdf aluminum resto.pdf (1.41 MB, 81 views)
post #39 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1750 View Post
There are a number of alternator conversions on the market that are built as look-a-like replacements for Lucas dynamos.
True, but:

- Giulias came with Bosch - not Lucas - generators

- Those Lucas look-alike units cost a fortune

- Raimondo's car is an abnormale, so original appearance doesn't seem important to him

So while the Dynalite might be a slick product for some applications, I can't see the logic of using one here.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #40 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I remember seeing an ad for an alternator that looked like a generator. If my car had not come with the alternator it has, that might have been worth considering.

The Spider did not come with a dizzy, so I've been trying to learn as much as I can from all the discussions regarding the 123 programmable units. As electrical things are not my forte, I'll be needing all the help I can get.

Last edited by Raimondo; 04-04-2017 at 10:31 AM.
post #41 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
True, but:

- Giulias came with Bosch - not Lucas - generators

- Those Lucas look-alike units cost a fortune

- Raimondo's car is an abnormale, so original appearance doesn't seem important to him

So while the Dynalite might be a slick product for some applications, I can't see the logic of using one here.
Yep - thanks for pointing out both the errors and illogic in my post.

Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #42 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up Props to Giuliav

I thought I would give a shout-out to Giuliav and his commitment to restore his 1964 Giulia Veloce Spider back to it's as-original-as-possible condition.

Though we are taking different routes to the same destination, it is encouraging to know that the Alfa community appreciates and embraces both the OEM and SNO approach to keeping these wonderful automobiles on the road.
Gordon Raymond and Giuliav like this.

post #43 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Hi Ray
Just opened an email and saw your project so read thru your whole post. Ive been restoring a 1962 Giulietta spider abnormale for the last 46 years. It is finally on the road. QQ and all. The real restoration really started about 10 years ago. When I finally got a couple of nickels to spend on it.I bumped my displacement to 1400 cc's and added euro cams. I also added electronic ignition and veloce headers. I have gone thru many mistakes but as you say I'm doing it my way. It will never be concors and hopefully never be sold. I have a son and 4grandson's who will have dibs on it. The guys on BB are very well meaning and sometimes very helpful Gordon and Pat and Alfa Jay have given me help at times. I think I can be helpful to you because I have struggled thru many problems. I saw your pictures and Alfa Jay is right your alternator.It is some kind of Nippo Denso I saw literature on the fork lift alternator but couldn't find one so I mickey moused one on mine. The alternator has its own regulator. I see your alternator is mounted on your engine. I not sure if that will work because when you add your Webers you have to use special motor mounts to tilt the engine. Also when you mount your Webers there is a support rod that mounts to the right motor mount and if you are using a Lucas starter linkages might need some work. I also added an electric fan to help coo; the beast. I'm not familiar with Giulias but the compartment space is the same. If I can help let me know. I can tell you the other things I did. I know the purist are having fits. But its all mine. I wish I could send pics but I don't know how.Bono Fortuna with the restoration
Meatbird29
Al Conforti
post #44 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wink

Al,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and I'll take all the "how to's" I can get. Let's see some photos of your Alfa!

If my Spider had been an intact Normale or Veloce, I would have left it as such. I didn't start out wanting to do a restoration; I just wanted a Spider. Finding this car as a basket case Abnormale just added extra sauce for the goose, as it were.

I want to build it as '64 Alfa correct as possible and use it as a dependable, daily driver. From what I have read that infers an alternator, a solid-state dizzy, electric fuel pump and few BBers on speed dial!

I intend to take it to the Alfa Club meetings, displays, drives, Cars and Caffeine, local car shows and everything else where I can mix with car folks. However, Pebble Beach and Amelia Island will have to be fine without us

post #45 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Hey Raimondo, thank you for the shout out and I love to see what you are doing, you have a fantastic car. Like I said before, our beauties made the trip to Newark together and we have to work hard to get them revving side by side again. Keep it going!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode