My 1964 Giulia Spider Abnormale Restoration - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pete,

Oh, you noticed those...

An OEM Normale rusty air filter canister came with the Spider. Bill Gillham kindly agreed to convert it to an oval snout Veloce configuration.

You'll notice the long intake tube; necessary as my car has no second hole in the left inner fender as I have heard that some do.

I picked up the top half of a "thin" aluminum air box plenum. Greig Smith thinks he has located the bottom half of it for me.
Attached Images

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 02-01-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I thought I would post a second photo of the reworked air filter canister for no other reason than to show the Bill Gillham's house full of Alfa projects.

I hope he doesn't mind us lusting over his great set up!
Attached Images

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
I thought I would post a second photo of the reworked air filter canister for no other reason than to show the Bill Gillham's house full of Alfa projects.

I hope he doesn't mind us lusting over his great set up!
Is your car at Bill's?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pat,

The Spider is tucked safely away in the garage here in Tulsa.

Sometimes, I wish I had to $$$ to have Bill do the restoration; it would be fabulous! Early on, I contacted him just to see what such a project would cost; sweet mother of Pear! I'll let Bill reveal those figures if he chooses to, but as you can imagine, artistry and excellence come at a very high price.

It goes w/o saying that making the decision to farm out what I could not do and then assemble everything has proven to be a wonderful choice, but ocasionally an exasperating and exhausting one.

While the Spider was out for body and paint for 17 months, so I got into all kinds of trouble! I have made so many mistakes that I've lost count; but learned so much in the process. Yeah, I've been zinged a few times by BBers, but it's been done to help me through the process. I just look back and laugh at some of the "duh" moments!

Gordon, Uncle, Greig Smith and GTD have offered a few choice admonitions regarding a "better" way to do things and I am grateful. The truth is the "you did what?!" or "DON'T DO THAT!" comments are probably not over, but hopefully they will occur less and less, as this project progresses.

Case in point: I have given up on putting Minilites, Panasports or Borrani wire wheels on the Spider; they just won't work...
Yachtman likes this.

post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Pat,

The Spider is tucked safely away in the garage here in Tulsa.

Sometimes, I wish I had to $$$ to have Bill do the restoration; it would be fabulous! Early on, I contacted him just to see what such a project would cost; sweet mother of Pear! I'll let Bill reveal those figures if he chooses to, but as you can imagine, artistry and excellence come at a very high price.

It goes w/o saying that making the decision to farm out what I could not do and then assemble everything has proven to be a wonderful choice, but ocasionally an exasperating and exhausting one.

While the Spider was out for body and paint for 17 months, so I got into all kinds of trouble! I have made so many mistakes that I've lost count; but learned so much in the process. Yeah, I've been zinged a few times by BBers, but it's been done to help me through the process. I just look back and laugh at some of the "duh" moments!

Gordon, Uncle, Greig Smith and GTD have offered a few choice admonitions regarding a "better" way to do things and I am grateful. The truth is the "you did what?!" or "DON'T DO THAT!" comments are probably not over, but hopefully they will occur less and less, as this project progresses.

Case in point: I have given up on putting Minilites, Panasports or Borrani wire wheels on the Spider; they just won't work...
Everyone makes tons of mistakes the first time around. The four guys whom you mentioned have been invaluable in my restoration journey as well - they know what they're talking about!

I'm glad that you've made so much progress on your car... stay motivated, you're getting there!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 PM

Keep up the great work!!!

... and more photos!!

regards

Mark
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

"We" like to say "DON'T DO THAT!!!" "We" too did it wrong at least once!
pathung and spiderJohnNH like this.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
When we picked up the Spider, the head with SPICA manifold on it was not on the block. After we were back in Tulsa, I called Mike Besic to inquire as to why it was left off.

He said his records haven't been computerized, but he remembered rebuilding the engine and transmission and who the PO was that had the work done, but, he couldn't remember why the head had been left off. Not bad considering that the work was done 14 years earlier.

I asked the BBers about block (stamped 00112.0621) and the head (stamped 105.00-01.500.00). Greig Smith replied:

"Looks like the motor dates as a late '63, it's the correct series for your car & after '60, Alfa never recorded what motor went into what chassis via a visible data plate (The Archives do have this info, but it's a FIAT Company Policy not to divulge it).

Fusi shows a mistake in the '63 to '64 engine numbers on the Giulia's, but extrapolating from '62 to '64 shows this engine was late '63, given that your car is early '64, it could have been pulled from a dark corner as things were a little chaotic at Portello in those days, given that the new factory at Arese was producing 105 Ti's, the Ti Supers & tooling up for the 105 Sprint GT, while the old works at Portello was being wound down.

Head is correct, many of the late 101 Giulia's ran 105 castings as there was a degree of overlap in production and this gets more so through '65 & '66."
Attached Images

post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Good head. Better than those with the 101 casting number.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Some additional engine photos
Attached Images

post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The alternator was mounted when we got the car, but there are NO identifying badges or decals of any kind on it, so I have no idea what I have. Strano...

Any ideas?
Attached Images

post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 PM

All the washers and spacers don't look like a Mike Besic assembly. Further, these need to snuggle close to the block to avoid steering column interference. They are usually hung close for Spider use.
Any idea why the engine is apart?

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The alternator was mounted when we got the car, but there are NO identifying badges or decals of any kind on it, so I have no idea what I have. Any ideas?
That's a Nippondenso alternator that is used on forklifts and other small Asian engines. It is commonly used on Alfa 750/101's to replace the generator. It's about the only alternator small enough to fit in the space between the engine and steering box.

That model of Nippondenso alternator is commonly sold by speed shops for race applications where you only need a few amps (I think the capacity is 40 amps - plenty for a Giulia). Here's one source that sells them for a good price: https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ce-3-wire.html This listing only says "Chevy" because hotrodders often them - I don't think any Chevrolet was ever built by GM with a Nippondenso alternator.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-01-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
It's about the only alternator small enough to fit in the space between the engine and steering box.

There are a number of alternator conversions on the market that are built as look-a-like replacements for Lucas dynamos. They fit perfectly but can be expensive.

'Dynator' Alternators

Lucas Dynalites, more information. | Powerlite

I have a Dynalite in my 750D.

Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I knew you guys would chime with the necessary info; thanks.

The engine was assembled in David Simmons shop. But in the process, David dropped the oil pan to check the bottom end to make certain that the "O" rings were as they should be. All was A-OK.

We install the upper timing chain, installed the head and set the cams to make sure all the tolerances were right. The cam cover was set finger tight as I had left the gasket at home by mistake.

That was about a year ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode