1964 Giulia Spider Veloce Restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:40 AM

FWIW, my experience leads me away from dipping a spot welded body. Especially one with small box sections.

I have attached a pic of the front leg from a Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato. For reference, this leg supports the front subframe (which contains the engine, gearbox, suspension and steering gear). The car originally spent a decade in the UK, got boiled in a container in Jo'burg and was put under a tree for a decade. Not good for an inadequate protected Bulganian steel.

Shortly after buying the car, I had the body dipped which revealed substantial structural and body rust and poor accident repairs.

(What is left of the leg is exactly as it looked after the dip)

After removing this leg, I retreated the surface rust then coated the leg in Kephos. Now, some six years after the dipping, which included 'rinsing and neutralising' the chemicals and body, rust can be seen leaching out of the seams. As you can see, it would have been reasonable to expect that this leg would be easy to neutralise given the size of rust holes!

I also started to rebuild the rusted out gutters of the hatchback. Zagato's design for these gutters included two tiny overlapping box sections. Given the closed ends of the boxes, it would have been almost impossible to properly rinse these boxes. To my horror when I started to unpick the spot welds of the good parts of the gutter, I found heavy amounts of rust still munching on the steel.

So, in summary, if rust can be seen leaching out of a seam which is accessible from both sides some 6 years after the dipping and neutraling, I'd be concerned what happens in the long term in the more difficult to get to box sections even if some drain holes are provided.

(And I understand any comment that questions the quality of the rinse and neutralising process used by the dipper. I have the same question)
Hope this helps in making an informed decision. Regards, Mick
Attached Images

Fulvia 1600HF, Fulvia Sport Zagato (project), Giulia Spider Veloce (project)

Last edited by OMWattsy; 02-14-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

1600 veloce air box, plenum, webers and manifold together again!

After a very detailed restoration of the Weber DCOE 2's, air box, and manifold, they are all back together again and ready for the next stage of reuniting with the completely restored engine (coming soon!). Restoration courtesy of Gordon Raymond!
Attached Images

post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

1600 veloce air box cont.

Continued
Attached Images

post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Interesting! Much more impressive in the pictures than having done the job! As I do work like this constantly, the drama of before and after gets lost to the restorer! As I said, INTERESTING!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
excellent thread.

i am looking forward to following the progress.

1992 alfa romeo spider veloce
2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks lgbalfa. I'm looking forward to the progress too. �� It's very exciting to see things come together and to have professionals from this board who know these cars inside out help with the process. I can't tell you how valuable this board is and the knowledge that some of the members have. Incredible. Will keep posting as it comes along. Thanks.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliav View Post
Thanks lgbalfa. I'm looking forward to the progress too. �� It's very exciting to see things come together and to have professionals from this board who know these cars inside out help with the process. I can't tell you how valuable this board is and the knowledge that some of the members have. Incredible. Will keep posting as it comes along. Thanks.
Those of us who have gone through the trials with these cars over the years, have learned a breadth of knowledge that yearns to be passed on. To see these cars back on the road is the payback for sharing what we know.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliav View Post
Well said Giuliav. I too am surprised at the quality of the advice.

post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Interesting! Much more impressive in the pictures than having done the job! As I do work like this constantly, the drama of before and after gets lost to the restorer! As I said, INTERESTING!
Hi Gordon,
The parts look amazing.
Do you use a chemical clean as well as a media blast to bring them back to the as new look?
Regards, Mick

post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 AM

OMWATTSY..
PM sent. Enjoy!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

I finished restoring my 101 Sprint Veloce at the end of 2014. The body was taken apart and blasted with walnut shells. The body was primed and then the body was repaired. The body was painted and then undercoated. I removed paint from suspension using media blasting and mechanical methods. The nuts and bolts were black zinc plated and other parts were clear Cadmium plated. The chrome and aluminum parts were sent to a well known chrome plating company. The interior was totally replaced by a Pebble Beach winning interior shop. The cars at that shop made my car look like a Yugo. I rebuilt the engine and had the transmission rebuilt thirty years ago. The rest of the car was either replaced or repaired. I started the restoration more than thirty years ago and finally finished after I retired.
Gordon Raymond likes this.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 AM

And NOW you drive it!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Transmission restoration

Transmission has been completely rebuilt and restored and on its way back home. Exciting! Pics attached

Pre rebuild
Attached Images

Last edited by Giuliav; 03-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Transmission restoration cont.....

Transmission restored. Pics attached
Attached Images

post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Giulia spider veloce transmission via express post!

Nothing better than receiving a completely restored veloce transmission in the mail!😊😊😊 (thanks Denny and great packaging!)
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode