1750 engine into a Sprint 750B 1959 - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Jay, you are correct. The crank Cl should not move right or left. Mike R. You also are correct. Using the Centerline set up, the whole assembly moves down. Without spacers between the chassis and transmission tail bushing, things end up at an angle. Tubular spacers are required. The driveshaft universal and guibo (hardy disc, doughnut, whatever) can accept the lowered engine. This should give Tacconi the room he heeds between the M.C. and block webb. His choice of bellhousing is the easiest way to go. Gordon Raymond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101 Alfa Mike View Post
Tacconi,
Maybe you should be focussing on your transmission support. Which cross member are you using? And, which transmission tail housing are you using?

Mike R
Hello
Tonight i put the 5 speed gearbox (105) on the car and tryed the prop.shaft.
an the mountings and proppshaft fits where it should, as far as I can see.
The only thing I can se "Abnormale" is that the gearbox mount ( on the gearbox) is slightly tilted to the steering side, like the rest of the engine, how much tilting on the engine can I have before it becomes a problem for the carburators, anyone know ?
I am using parts of the orginal , and a 105 gearbox mounting, I roughly cutted and assembled the mount tonight, I cant see any problem with this, but time will show
You ask me about the transmission tail housing I am using, the only "modyfied " thing on the gearbox is that it has a 101 clutch house.
Should I be using a different transmission tail housing? is the 105 gearbox any longer than the 101 box?
I also put the front cover on the engine and that also looked ok, the carburators where also tryed an It looked ok.
I am thinking of "pushing" the engine over to the carburator side with a slightly thicker rubber engine mount on the steering side, but I will leave this untill tomorrow night
I will take some more photos when I have changed the rubber mounts.
Regards
Chris

Alfa Romeo 166 2,5 1999 ,Alfa Romeo GTV 2,0 TS 1995 and 1997
Giulia GT1600Junior 1975, Giulietta Sprint 1300 1959, 2600 Sprint 1965

Last edited by Tacconi; 01-16-2008 at 11:58 AM.
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

On mine, the rear cross member was dropped on the driver's side with about a half-inch spacer.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.

post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Chris, Both the Veloce mounts and the Centerline mounts are designed to give the engine the correct tilt for the 40 /45 DCOE Webers. Part of this is designed into Alfa's Weber intake manifold. The only exception I am aware of is the special Weber manifold for the TZ cars as that engine was tilted even further. That particular manifold is so rare that I have only seen one, not on a car, in the past 20 years. Any 101 105 Weber intake manifold should be fine.
As Subtle mentioned, he dropped the drivers side (Exhaust side) transmission mount about 1/2 inch. On the SS I did years ago, I dropped both sides, AFTER I had everything installed, using a common bubble level on the valve cover to be sure the engine wasn't cocked. I believe my hollow spacers were less than 1/2 inch, but I believe you understand the problem.
All Alfa transmissions are, fortunately, the same length, (with the exception of the tunnel case 750 unit) Your 105 transmission AND tailhousing should be fine, using the 101 bell housing.
The only area of concern, is to be sure, as was mentioned earlier, that the crankshaft centerline matches the chassis centerline. A slight lowering will not cause any problem. It is the centerline right or left that is critical.
Keep us informed with more nice photos as you go along! Gordon Raymond
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Hello
Yesterday and today evening I tok everything out again, I changed the prop.shaft center bearing and new rubber. Changed the rubber engine mount, and put everything back on the car.
I think I am ok now regarding engine clearence to brake master cyl. carburator, oil pan.
I will have to modify one of the pipes on the ex.manifoil, as it just touches the chassi.
The gearbox seems ok, as the pop. shaft center bearing/rubber fits nicly to ist place.
I have not made the gearbox mount, but I have made it fit, welding and reinforcement I will take soon.
The next "problem" is the oilfilter, I have a cartridge type, and this I can not use.
Is there possible to make/buy a remote oilfilter who I can put somewhere else, and just conect it to the engine with hoses?
Or is there place for the Spinn on filter who came a bit later( mounted on the front cover to the engine) ?
The next thing is the alternator, it seems like a tight fit, I have seen on Giulietta Yahoo that you could buy a 35Ah alternator from Nippo Denso who are small.
I am not sure if the bolt who are welded to the floore, who connects the clutch realese arm is on the right place, as there have been a Fiat engine in the car until I bought it. Does anyone have a photo of where it should be?
I am asking a lot of questions, hope it is not to much.
I am very thankfull for all of you helping me
Regards
Chris
Attached Images

post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Hello
You can se the bolt to the clutch release arm on the floor in the second photo above.
Here is the Cylinder head.
Chris
Attached Images

post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Tacconi had asked:

"The next "problem" is the oilfilter, I have a cartridge type, and this I can not use. Is there possible to make/buy a remote oilfilter who I can put somewhere else, and just conect it to the engine with hoses? Or is there place for the Spin on filter who came a bit later( mounted on the front cover to the engine) ?"

Les Hurlock, an Alfa enthusiast here in the States, makes a spin-on adapter for the 1300 - 1600 - 1750 engines. Look him up in Google - I think his business is named something like Hurlock Engineering. Les will know which adapter will allow your filter to clear the Giulietta frame.

"The next thing is the alternator, it seems like a tight fit, I have seen on Giulietta Yahoo that you could buy a 35Ah alternator from Nippo Denso who are small."

I posted a thread last year named "Installing an alternator in a 750/101" that discussed my experience in putting a Denso alternators into my Giulia spider. You can find it with the "advanced search" function on the BB looking for threads that Alfajay posted last year in the "Giulietta & Giulia" section with "alternator" as a key word. As I note in that thread, when you push the engine toward the steering column, there isn't much space to fit the alternator.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-18-2008 at 07:24 PM.
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Baum View Post
My 750b has a 1750 installed on the al. cast mounts the car came with, as well as the std 750b rubber mounts from Re-Origonals. The fit is perfect. However, I''ve fitted a 1600 intact manifold, and downdraft Weber. The torque, and drivability is supurb, any more would be out of ballance with the other aspects of the car to my taste anyway.
One thing I need to re-engineer, is to provide a hidden torque reaction snubber. The 1750 moves around a lot on the 750b rubber mts. I could post specific pictures if anyone wants something.
Brad Baum
760b
Escondido, Ca
Hello
Thank you for nice photos!
I would like a photo taken straight over the alternator just to se the clearence you have got, please
Because it looks like my engine is a bit closet to the steering box than yours.
regards
Chris

post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:48 AM

more 1750 into 750b photo's

The closest gap or near interference in my car is the cooling fins on the Alfetta sump, at the right front corner.
Attached Images

post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Tacconi had asked:

"The next "problem" is the oilfilter, I have a cartridge type, and this I can not use. Is there possible to make/buy a remote oilfilter who I can put somewhere else, and just conect it to the engine with hoses? Or is there place for the Spin on filter who came a bit later( mounted on the front cover to the engine) ?"

Les Hurlock, an Alfa enthusiast here in the States, makes a spin-on adapter for the 1300 - 1600 - 1750 engines. Look him up in Google - I think his business is named something like Hurlock Engineering. Les will know which adapter will allow your filter to clear the Giulietta frame.

"The next thing is the alternator, it seems like a tight fit, I have seen on Giulietta Yahoo that you could buy a 35Ah alternator from Nippo Denso who are small."

I posted a thread last year named "Installing an alternator in a 750/101" that discussed my experience in putting a Denso alternators into my Giulia spider. You can find it with the "advanced search" function on the BB looking for threads that Alfajay posted last year in the "Giulietta & Giulia" section with "alternator" as a key word. As I note in that thread, when you push the engine toward the steering column, there isn't much space to fit the alternator.

Hello
I have seen your thread about alternator, and it is informative, my local alternator shop needs a number so that he can give me a price, do you have a number, or do you know wich car it comes from?
I have been in contact with Les Hurlock, and he will give me a price in a couple of days.
Thank you for help.
regards
Chris

post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Re: The Chassis Interference With the Sump Cooling Fins

On my instal, the Alfetta sump was machined on the right front to avoid contact with chassis frame down there.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM

motor mounts

Hi,In the first photos you are showing with the block touching the master cylinder, that engine mounting is for the opposite side as it has the hole for the carburretor support cast in it, not for the exhaust side.
On the exhaust side you have a mounting which allows the block to drop and lean over. If you try and use a normal standard mounting then all things are a problem, the exhaust will not fit and the carbs will not be level, I think also you get a problem with the dynomo, touching the steering box etc etc.
You should have got two mountings both different to original mountings.
Tony Stevens - Alfastop may have correct kit.
Regards J.
post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Hi,In the first photos you are showing with the block touching the master cylinder, that engine mounting is for the opposite side as it has the hole for the carburretor support cast in it, not for the exhaust side.
On the exhaust side you have a mounting which allows the block to drop and lean over. If you try and use a normal standard mounting then all things are a problem, the exhaust will not fit and the carbs will not be level, I think also you get a problem with the dynomo, touching the steering box etc etc.
You should have got two mountings both different to original mountings.
Tony Stevens - Alfastop may have correct kit.
Regards J.
Hello
I realised that the engine mount where wrong after I had took the photos, when reversing them I got a small clearence (10mm) to the master cylinder bolt.
I now have the clearence I need ( I hope :-) ) the next step is to get an alternator to se if that will fit, I am looking for one from a Daihatsu.
The engine mounts and rubber where recommend by Classicalfa in England for mounting a 1750 engine in a 750, I think it is said to be Veloce mounts?
I do not have any orginal mounting to compere with so I do not know if they are any different from mine.
When I have got the alternator, I will decide if I need to buy new mountings.
Regards
Chris

post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 PM

1750 into Sprint

Hi,
Veloce mounts drop the engine on the exhaust side several cm to give the correct angle for the carbs ( level). The one I could see in the photo didn't look like I remember, but maybe correct. If you got a pair of Veloce mts then it should be OK.
I've seen cars without these mounts and you have to alter the fit of other things, I had a Veloce - ised Spider that had problems until the mounts were changed.
There is not much clearance to the master cylinder and original veloces had an asbestos heat shield!!! Everything is a tight fit!
The dynamos used to sort of drop under the steering box I think with a different pulley, you'll need a small alternator.
Sorry I only just saw the continuation pages, seems you are doing OK.
Good luck with it, the conversion makes for an interesting drive, it will surprise many other drivers, and is so tractible.
I've a similar project with a Berlina.
Regards J.
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Hello
Here are a photo of my engine mounts, I may consider buying a pair from Centerline, are they much the same mine?
Regards
Chris
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode