My Veloce restoration nearing completion. - Page 21 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Congratulations George, a stunning win. Whats next on your schedule for restoration?
I am taking a break for the summer. I may start restoring a 70's Triumph Bonneville next year.

George

1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
RESTORATION PHOTOS :: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/gekgraphics/collections/72157610294596096/[/url]
ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG :: [url]http://tinyurl.com/yq4evt[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Paul's new purchase and a new contributer to the ABB

I am posting (by permission from Paul) correspondence between Paul and myself concerning his looking for a Giulietta Veloce 750F. I think it may inspire and encourage newcomers to begin contributing to the BB. I know it is a bit long but hope it proves useful.

Cheers,

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabits View Post
Hi George,

You don't know me and I've not been active on the forum, but I have been a watcher and reader for a long time because I have been searching for a Giulietta Veloce 750F for a long time.

In your Portland area, yesterday there was an ad on Craigslist for just such a car and I am writing you to see if you have advice of someone reputable that is local in your area who might be willing to look at the car. I am based in San Jose CA and I am willing to fly up to close the deal, but I'd like some local eyes before I invest in doing that.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1842950446.html

The car looks a bit of a basket case, but the price looks somewhat reasonable at $5000 if it is a true Veloce and has all the right parts.

Any advice you can give on hiring a local inspector would be greatly appreciated. And my apologies if you feel this email is an intrusion. Please just delete it.

Best regards, Paul
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hi Paul, Looks like you have till Aug 1st to place an offer. I would be willing to look at the car for a small fee depending how far away it is and how much time I spend looking at it. From the description it does sound like a big basket case, lots of rust in the usual places.

Let me know if you want me to contact the seller and have a look. I know these cars pretty well and should be able to give you a good assessment of it's originally and condition.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

Thanks so much for responding. I kind of felt like I was imposing, but it also seems like everyone on this board are very nice.

In any case, some things have transpired since I wrote you with my request. It appears the seller does not know what he is selling. I am no expert, but it appears he is selling a normale or perhaps an abnormale conversion. The chassis and engine numbers he gave me are 1495*01440 - 1315*41401 which seem to be in the range of a 750 D not F. And there is no F on the firewall.

It appears this is an early 750 D in rough condition and I guess the question in my mind is that if I am going to spend so much time and effort on restoring a car, I think I should hold out for a Veloce. I sent the photos to Matt at giuliettas.com in case he wanted to post the sale on his site. His opinion is that at $5K it's still a good buy. If you could get it for that. But I am torn frankly.

Bottom line, I think I am going to pass on this one and keep looking for a Veloce.

Thanks for your offer to do an inspection. If another car appears in the Portland area, I hope you don't mind me contacting you again. But before I do, I will make the effort to find out whether it's a Veloce before I bother you!! And of course if you happen to think of me if you hear about a 750 F or 101 Veloce for sale, it would be appreciated. :-)

Thanks again for replying and best regards to you.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

Hi George,

I just wanted to let you know that I have a car. I am wrapping up the purchase of a 1958 Spider Veloce that is in Michigan and I just wanted to thank you for responding to me the other week. The start with the guy in Portland (who really didn't have a Veloce) just kept me going on the search and sometimes things just progress to the next deal.

I also wanted to say that your long restoration thread along with Pat Hung's have inspired me to take this big step and I hope to have a success of it. Thanks for the inspiration as well. I'm not that gifted mechanically, but I will do as much as I feel comfortable with and although I won't have great threads as you guys, I hope to be able to contribute to the community in some way.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks.

Best Regards,

Paul

Originally Posted by alfabits
Paul, I am glad you found what you were looking for. You certainly weren't bothering me; any time... Good luck in your restoration and please post info and photos in the ABB as you proceed. One of the reasons I started my blog, and I would think Patrick did also, is to help others looking for reference material. When I started my car there was very little info in one post. I had to search all over the place and borrow friends cars for reference photos, not easy.

Would you mind if I publish your messages to me on my ABB blog? I think it would be helpful for others to read.

Thanks again and good luck, but most of all have fun.

George
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hi George,

I'm completely fine with you posting our PM exchanges to your blog.

All the best,

Paul
Portland, OR USA
e :: [email]gekraus@comcast.net[/email]

RESTORATION PHOTOS :: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/gekgraphics/collections/72157610294596096/[/url]

Last edited by alfabits; 07-26-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Well done!

That is the beauty of this BB, being able to connect with folks who share the same interests.

Congrats on Win #2 at Forest Grove!

[COLOR="Red"]73 Spider[/COLOR] 1971 240Z 1970 240Z
"Nominum quid geminus?"
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi George,

Nice going with Win #2! After the next event, I'm sure you'll let out a sigh of relief because a little rock chip on the nose of the car would actually be "okay" then; it in fact contributes to the car's patina.

I also enjoyed reading your exchange with Paul; it's great to be able to help folks who are doing this for the first time. Hopefully I'll have a new driving buddy here in San Jose in a year's time or so.

1967 GT Jr. Race Build
1963 Giulia Spider Restoration
Classic Alfa Romeo Registry
VeloceSpace Restoration Parts
Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathung View Post
Hi George,

Nice going with Win #2! After the next event, I'm sure you'll let out a sigh of relief because a little rock chip on the nose of the car would actually be "okay" then; it in fact contributes to the car's patina.
As it worked out I got a small rock chip (pin head size) on the left nose on the way to the show. And last year I had the hood repainted because of a late developing crack near the front latch. I had some welding and inside braces added (not visible) to prevent this from happening again. Told, "it is a weak spot on the early hoods"! I also learned to close the hood by dropping it instead of pushing it closed. So after the repair and strip to bare metal repaint, I no longer have the first years three rock chips I had accumulated. Now I can start over again collecting chips, like a badge of honor... not to say I won't still take care of her. My Norton has 24,000 miles since restoration in '96 and still wins shows, just barely.

George

Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I know exactly what you refer to George. From 2 feet away, my 275 GTB ferrari looks perfect, but when you get close, you see the nose has a million microscopic chips FROM RACING! I get asked why I don't cover the nose with racing tape (ugly). My answer is this car was INTENDED to be driven. Next time at the track, you can look at it at speed and see if you notice any chips!
A restored car, like a new car, can only be 100% if it is not driven. That's just wrong!
This is just my opinion!
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Dear Paul in San Jose,

Congradulations! Well done, in the end if you do your resto well, and keep her stock, you'll just love driving her and have your long-term value! I love driving mine, and am doing the Monterey week, Mille Autunno, two Cal milles so far, and many other Driving ralleys. Drive on Patrick Hung's Jaunts! Get to the 1958 Coupe des Alps videos on the U-tube and get your juices flowing!.

Laurence
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
I know exactly what you refer to George. From 2 feet away, my 275 GTB ferrari looks perfect, but when you get close, you see the nose has a million microscopic chips FROM RACING! I get asked why I don't cover the nose with racing tape (ugly). My answer is this car was INTENDED to be driven. Next time at the track, you can look at it at speed and see if you notice any chips!
A restored car, like a new car, can only be 100% if it is not driven. That's just wrong!
This is just my opinion!
This is why I get so upset about people who will not restore or paint a car because of over-done patina, ie. the car has simply not been maintained.

If you restore a car and then most importantly DRIVE it afterwards patina will return and the car will look again like a driver, and also like the owner likes the thing .
Pete
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR58SprintV View Post
Dear Paul in San Jose,

Congradulations! Well done, in the end if you do your resto well, and keep her stock, you'll just love driving her and have your long-term value! I love driving mine, and am doing the Monterey week, Mille Autunno, two Cal milles so far, and many other Driving ralleys. Drive on Patrick Hung's Jaunts! Get to the 1958 Coupe des Alps videos on the U-tube and get your juices flowing!.

Laurence
Thanks Laurence. I'm looking forward to the adventure. I am in the midst of composing what will probably be a too long of a post describing my "roadmap for restoration" and I'm hoping it generates some discussion. Part of my post will be on how stock to keep it. But I don't want to bother everyone in having that conversation in this reply. Look for another post from me.

I'm looking forward to meeting (virtually or otherwise) folks in the Bay Area.

Paul
1960 Giulietta Spider Normale - In Hibernation
1965 Giulia Sprint Speciale - Up After the GTC
1965 Giulia Sprint GTC - Restoration Started
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

In that case, Paul, you'll need to allow yourself an entire week in Berkeley, there being that many Alfa/Italian car shops to visit and truly interesting people to meet.

When you stop by Laurence's shop, be sure to have him show you his pride, a Morgan, under restoration, then hop on over next door to see what Ferrari Patrick Ottis is working on; there's also a pre-war Alfa there for your enjoyment (Patrick's own car). If Patrick's son, Tazio, happens to be there, he's restoring a '59 Sprint, in Tornado Blue, so you can swap stories. Lastly, visit Glenn Oliveria's Alfa (race) shop for an impromptu picnic out on the back patio, where the conversation is rarely just about Alfas. I skipped a few other places, but this should be a solid start to the Berkeley Alfa Tour. Have fun!

1967 GT Jr. Race Build
1963 Giulia Spider Restoration
Classic Alfa Romeo Registry
VeloceSpace Restoration Parts
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Ride

I just came back from a great ride with two great friends Bill Hains and Greg Byes. We did about a 2.5 hour drive up to Roslyn Lake in the east Portland area. Bill drove his very nice 65' Giulia and Greg drove his "M" BMW. Nice and cool with the tops down, wonderful twisties. Stopped at McMenamins Edgefield" (McMenamins - Home Page) for a pint or two after. Stopped for a photo op at an old barn on the old "Barlow Trail" road (Barlow Trail). Always wanted to stop there.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Columbia River Concours d'Elegance.

This past Sunday I participated in the new Columbia River Concours d'Elegance. Our local Alfa club AROO had a fine showing of a variety of Alfa's.

Once again, I picked up another "Best in Class", my fourth, for my Giulietta. The event was held on the beautiful grounds of the Fort Vancouver "Officers Row".

This may be my last Concours now that I am putting on the miles. Can't show and drive and expect the same results. I will post some photos in later posts.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM

Amazing George. That is that the event even went off. Congrats, but what a poorly organized event. I went with a couple of good freinds who were/are FAA folks to the fly in next door, with the intention of going to the concours too. We never found it. I saw a half dozen cars "from the concours" drive into Pearson field. Found a dozen or more old mediocre cars nearby at Clark College, but nobody in the area could direct me to a real event. Parking was awful all over the area, and information was more scarce. The kids in the CAP were more concerned about not parking anyplace than giving any info, and they had none to spare.

We did see a wedding or two in progress and drove all over Fort Vancouver where I did 6 years of service, not finding your event.

Write this one off as a total failure as a concours.

The good news: The fly in and display of old planes was awesome! Airports are easy to find and the people are the best.

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 08-25-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
Amazing George. That is that the event even went off. Congrats, but what a poorly organized event. I went with a couple of good freinds who were/are FAA folks to the fly in next door, with the intention of going to the concours too. We never found it. I saw a half dozen cars "from the concours" drive into Pearson field. Found a dozen or more old mediocre cars nearby at Clark College, but nobody in the area could direct me to a real event. Parking was awful all over the area, and information was more scarce. The kids in the CAP were more concerned about not parking anyplace than giving any info, and they had none to spare.

We did see a wedding or two in progress and drove all over Fort Vancouver where I did 6 years of service, not finding your event.

Write this one off as a total failure as a concours.

The good news: The fly in and display of old planes was awesome! Airports are easy to find.
It doesn't dilute the quality of Geo's car BUT I felt robbed of the thrill of victory when one of my cars took a prize in Boston's biggest Italian show and I spent 3 days preparing for it, 8 hours per day. The judging was done by one lonesome soul who had a hard time figuring out where the motor was. This was not our proudest moment.
Good experienced judges are few and far between... I'm repaeating myself...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
It doesn't dilute the quality of Geo's car ..
Hey, I know Georges car is one of the best in the country. Please understand, that comments are only re this one awful event.
Constuctively, I hope it is improved next year

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 08-26-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.