1957 750B Sprint Full Restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

1957 750B Sprint Full Restoration

Hello everyone,
I thought some of you may like to share my journey as I restore my 1957 Sprint normale.

I bought it about 4 months ago from an old-fashioned car restoration workshop near where I live. I had been talking to the owner- a great bloke called David Cooper- who said "I've got an old Alfa round the back that is a wreck- take any parts you want from it". I went round and found the Sprint. It was in pretty bad condition- almost overgrown with brambles, no doors or bonnet, and had been sitting outside for about 15 years (see top photo). David had bought it as a parts car when he restored Nick Mason's (of Pink Floyd) Sprint, but as this was a 101 he didn't use too many parts. The car is unusual in that it had been converted to RHD by Ruddspeed. As far as I can make out, it was originally delivered in Milan in '57 (thanks to the Archivio) but then imported and re-registered in the UK in '58 (it has a '58 Bedford plate). I assume this is when the conversion was carried out. The car also has unusual rear seats- with a large front bolster like the one shown in the Nada book but with a more styled back. They were original- when I took them out the Bertone three digit number was chalked on the back.

I started to take parts from the car, but was amazed at how solid the body of the car was given its age and exposure to the elements. Eventually, I came up with the daft idea of restoring it and bought it from David for 50.
Attached Images

Virus Alfa- well and truly infected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I travelled over there about once a week and have now stripped everything off of the car. The engine was not original- someone had put in a 61 Giulietta TI engine which was totally wrecked. Today we put in angle- iron stringers across the doors, bolted some 4X2 across those for stability and removed the last major component- the rear axle.

The plan for the car now is to have it blasted with plastic media, then brought back to my garage so that I can assess the damage. It will need a lot of welding- major repairs to the crossmembers, new floors, new sills, major welding around the trailing arm mounts, rear valence and boot floor. The good news is that this is not my first resto and (more importantly) I have an excellent bodyshop almost next door whose owner is a good friend. And I am not in a rush.

In the mean time I am restoring the parts I have taken off and slowly replacing the missing or irretrievably damaged bits. I have already got hold of an engine, two doors, a fuel tank, boot lid, and various trim bits.
Attached Images

post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that my 1966 Duetto had to go to finance it (and to placate the wife!!)

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 PM

2 week turn-a-round flip based on the photos above IMO

Are you kidding. That project should keep you out of the bars. On second thought, it might get you in them

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Attaboy! What a lovely project. Makes mine appear nothing in comparison. Let me know what you are short of as I have some Sprint parts surplus.
Lets talk again.

Stuart

'56 Giulietta Spider, '57 Giulietta Spider Veloce, '57 Giulietta Lightweight Sprint Veloce, '60 SZ, '68 GTA, '76 2000 Spider
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
you're one brave man, kudos to you for bringing her back! Will she be RHD, or will you bring her back to the original LHD? Keep posting pics!

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Lionel,

Many thanks- I may be in touch. I will see what falls off when the blasting has been done!

Peter,

She is staying RHD. She ill never be concours, so she may as well be unique. Also, the Ruddspeed bulkhead casting is too beautiful to leave out!

Stuart,

I'll be in touch!!

John

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
Lionel,

Many thanks- I may be in touch. I will see what falls off when the blasting has been done!

Peter,

She is staying RHD. She ill never be concours, so she may as well be unique. Also, the Ruddspeed bulkhead casting is too beautiful to leave out!

Stuart,

I'll be in touch!!

John

John,

I do also can provide you with the wiring loom. www.classicwiring.com

Have fun with the car restoration.

Lionel
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 PM

Good Luck!

Great restoration project!

Best regards from Madeira.

P.S. - I note under the original "ROSSO ALFA" are onde ORANGE colour! The same in my Giulietta Sprint 1956, under the "rosso alfa" ( red ) are one ORANGE colour! ( ? )
This orange colour are for protection? or else?

?

Thank you

Marco Pestana
Marco750B56

Last edited by Marco750B56; 08-15-2007 at 03:42 PM.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Out of all the resto projects beeing done by bb members, this one has to be the most.. I don't even know what to say!!!!!!!!!!!...

But it sounds a fantastic project... and one "to keep you off bars"... or to drive you into them on a definite basis".

Good luck and keep everyone posted of further developments.

Regards,
Carlos Vasconcelos
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to john.harrill
Now that's ambitious!

Currently Owned:
1957 Giulietta Spider (Maria - Fabrication in progress)
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6
2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1959 Giulietta Spider - Restoration
1967 Fiat Dino Coupe - Restoration
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 PM

This is going to be a looooooong thread if it gets regular updates... and I look forward to them!

A Sprint
A Spider
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

I know it looks bad... (well, it is bad!!) but I have already restored lots of the parts. The steering box, for example (before & after!!)
Attached Images

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco750B56 View Post
Good Luck!

Great restoration project!

Best regards from Madeira.

P.S. - I note under the original "ROSSO ALFA" are onde ORANGE colour! The same in my Giulietta Sprint 1956, under the "rosso alfa" ( red ) are one ORANGE colour! ( ? )
This orange colour are for protection? or else?

?

Thank you

Marco Pestana
Marco750B56
Marco,
there are about ten colours on the car in layers an inch thick! From behind immovable objects (lubrication plate etc) I think the original colour may have been light blue, but there is also grey, red and obviously this lovely orange colour. I can't believe anyone ever painted this car orange, so I think it was probably an undercoat!
John

post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
I know it looks bad... (well, it is bad!!) but I have already restored lots of the parts. The steering box, for example (before & after!!)

Some may regard the bottom photo as an over-restored piece lacking the patina of the original steering box as shown in the top photo. I wish to differentiate myself from those "some."

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode