1957 750B Sprint Full Restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM

This car doesn't look as bad as I would expect from a long stay in an English hedge. I guess it must be true the 750/101 cars are more resistant to rust than later cars.

Great project, I look forward to seeing it come together!

A Sprint
A Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Good luck, and forge ahead!!

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 AM

This is a crazy project - love it

post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 AM

Hi John

I've just picked up a '58 Sprint Veloce Confortevole, mostly complete, but needing a full restoration, including un-doing a very bodged previous rebuild.
The floor boards & chassis rails are very bad, so will have to be cut out & replaced. When I jacked up the front, the doors became difficult to open & close.........

Firstly I must mention that the blasting company I use is, owned by a Vintage car enthusiast & the guy doing the blasting has been there for 25 years, so is well versed with the intricacies of car sheet metal & ferrous oxide. Plus he uses a fine grit sand.

I'm going to have the '58 shell completely sandblasted, inside & out, and will have my one '57 Sprint Normale blasted at the same time - I need to do floors on both cars, so will use the one as a template for the other.

Bottom line is that the 750 cars were hand built out of *thick* steel & unless your blaster is a real cowboy, they come out really well - your car has some deep-seated rust issues and mechanical stripping will sadly not eradicate the rust out of the pits in the metal.

If the blaster is good, he will work over the car doing little bits at a time & move regularly, often returning to a panel 5 or 10 times to prevent a heat build up = warping.

In your shoes I'd investigate some local blasting companies, get some references and check out their work. If you have to transport the shell some distance, make up a steel frame with wheels & use a trailer. To prevent rust starting as soon as the blasting gun is switched off, I recomend using a product called "Deoxydene" or "Deoxit" - basically a colourless liquid you wipe on the panels to prevent rust forming for 5 to 10 days - in my case I use a 5 litre garden sprayer & drench the shell inside & out - the excess flows out of the holes where the floor boards *used* to be.

Media blasting opinions are like ar$e-h0les - everybody has one - if the blaster is good, then you end up with a clean shell - if you go cheap & use a dodgy blaster = warped panels. I don't believe that you can manually remove rust by grinding & over many years of playing with Vintage & Classic cars, we've successfully blasted quite a few bodies.

Saying that, I haven't done a 105 Series car yet - there I would be wary as the sheet metal is rather thinner than the early cars & in the case of the flush nose cars, even thinner again.

Your car, your call - shout if you need more info

Ciao
Greig
Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others

P.S - DON'T DIP IT - the acid eats the aluminium stiffeners which the Factory inserted into the front chassis rails - these are what your upper & lower front suspension A Arms bolt up to.

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 01-28-2015 at 05:31 AM.
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I've heard of a couple of mobile dry ice blasting companies now in the UK, which is a far gentler treatment than traditional grit media blasting. Also consider buying several gallons of that Deoxy gel made by Bilt Hamber - it's performed amazingly well in comparison tests.

You certainly made the most of the dry spell, it's been raining heavily here all day!

Alex.
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Paint

Having scraped away at the paint, it seems to be in the following layers (outer first)

Red
Grey
Orange
Lt Grey
Dark Grey/ blue
Cream
Med grey

This seems like too many layers to be original. I attach a photo of the paint rubbed down to the 'dark grey/blue' layer. Could this be the original?

p.s. the plan is still to have it blasted- I have a local blaster that has a good track record.
Attached Images

Virus Alfa- well and truly infected.
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM

I've following your endeavours...what a great project!
Have you got the chassi nr? From the photos it seems you've got the body nr...
"Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo" would be able to inform you which one would be the original colour... just a suggestion!

Carlos
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Carlos,

See earlier threads ref the chassis number. The Archivio Storico could only give me the construction and sale dates, not the colour.

John

post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Grey Primer between colors and under the first? What color was under the steering box when you pulled it off?

A Sprint
A Spider
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa soon View Post
Grey Primer between colors and under the first? What color was under the steering box when you pulled it off?

It was 'Hints of Rust'!!

The interior was beige and brown, if that is any help.

post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 AM
GTD

John
Regarding your Sprint's original colour, I hesitate to use the word "virgin", as in finding some bit of hardware that hides some original virgin paint.
Were I to venture a guess it would be that Bertone used a grey primer on the day your Sprint was originally painted, covered by a finish coat of Avorio/Ivory.

Alfa Sapiens
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM

If I were you, I would use the doubt as to original color as an excuse to paint it whatever color I wanted, sticking to the original palette offered by Alfa of course.

If I ever paint my Sprint I am going to go for Anthracite gray, there are just too many red ones out there...

A Sprint
A Spider
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
John
Regarding your Sprint's original colour, I hesitate to use the word "virgin", as in finding some bit of hardware that hides some original virgin paint.
Were I to venture a guess it would be that Bertone used a grey primer on the day your Sprint was originally painted, covered by a finish coat of Avorio/Ivory.

I would agree that it was cream/ivory when it left the factory...
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

Somewhere I saw a list of colors for early Sprints. One of the colors was "beige bananna" I have never seen a photo of a Sprint in this color much less a real car. Bang made a 1/43 model in the color.
Name:  Bang_7153.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  10.2 KB

I have some color photocopies of a pair of ivory Sprints that were featured in an Italian magazine article in 2004. "Automobilismo D'Epoca" In some photos they look close to white, but not a bright white. They are probably ivory. In a couple of photos though, they look very beige - probably because of the lighting.

I think your Sprint would look great in either beige or ivory. The period colors give the Sprints a special look.

Dave
Drivers: '63 Spider '74 Berlina
Projects: '58 Sprint, '59 Flaminia berlina, '63 Appia Berlina, '63 Flavia coupe, and Bernie the Berlina.

Last edited by davestebs; 10-13-2007 at 08:40 AM.
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I am torn between red and metallic silver (grigion chiaro?) Red is a bit of a cliche, but it looks great, and I have seen the OK Parts lightweight 750 in met silver which also looked very stylish.

Mind you, final paint colour is not exactly high on my list of priorities at the moment!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode