1957 750B Sprint Full Restoration - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post
Some may regard the bottom photo as an over-restored piece lacking the patina of the original steering box as shown in the top photo. I wish to differentiate myself from those "some."
nah, looks like the aluminum (or for Johnny, aluminium) has not even been painted

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Steering box looks good.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM

Nice one John, glad you are restoring the '57, shout if you need info / pictures from 05262 or 05880 ?

That steering box is a RHD Alfa part, used in the RHD Giulia Spiders and the RHD Giulietta Ti's.

Glad you are planning to keep her RHD, I found pictures of a RHD Giulietta Sprint in one of my books, "Essential Alfa Romeo Giulia & Giulietta Coupe's and Spiders, by David Hodges - ISBN 1-870979-59-1

3 pictures of a navy blue '59 / '60 Sprint Reg 255 HYU, with a RHD Ruddspeed conversion.

Ciao
Greig

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Greig- unfortunately not my car (was 4199AC, possibly again, but having problems with the licensing agency). If you could send me photos of the RHD car especially the dash, I would be really interested.

Well folks, today was back axle day. I brought it back to the garage, and started to strip it down but am having a real problem getting the hubs off- I have split it and the nuts are now soaking in penetrating oil. I just can't get good purchase on them with either sockets or spanner.

Once the hubs are off, the backing plates, axle tubes and diff case will be off with the front suspension parts and the wheels (as of this morning separated from the rotten tyres) to the blaster to get cleaned up and the steel parts powder coated. Then I plan to reassemble the rear axle and front suspension and stick them away until needed.
Attached Images

Virus Alfa- well and truly infected.
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM

750B dash board - '57

Hi John

This is about the best picture I have of a 750B dash board, This is a baby blue car being restored in California - it's a stunning restoration

The 3 toggle switches on the LHS of the dash should be "beavertail" switches, but these are now available again, but at eye watering prices.

The silver cannister under the speedo is the push / pull pump for the windscreen wiper nozzles.

Regards
Greig
Attached Images

post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
GTD

Oye!
I can't believe you failed to mention the missing odometer reset knob!

That rearview mirror looks a bit dodgy but that custom red steering wheel looks impossible for manuvering a Sprint.

Alfa Sapiens
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 AM

Missing bits

Sigh....... I was waiting for your eagle eye to spot that.

I can't believe that I actually set myself up for the abuse

I also failed to mention the "Lucas" style wiring harness hanging from under the dash, so as to facilitate the ease of spotting which wire is "letting the smoke out"

Unlike the 101 Sprint, the 750 does not have a complete metal backing to the rear view mirror, just three spring loaded clips to hold the glass - which in this case is in the owner's back pocket, along with a comb.

Ok, it's not my car & the owner will have to answer for the missing bits & the new & improved "horn button"

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 08-18-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling !!!
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Greig, but I meant pictures of a RHD dash if there is one in the book you mentioned. The dash I have has disintegrated- Ruddspeed seem to have chopped various parts of the LHD dash and riveted them back together before covering in vinyl but it had rusted apart. I have seen Ruddspeed RHD SS dashes and they are very professional. I am considering attempting to make a RHD dash from aluminium, incorporating certain parts from the original that are still in ok condition (instrument oval etc).

Rear hubs now off and crownwheel given a good wash in parrafinand looks to be in good condition (incl bearings). One question- I ave been advised not to have the axle tubes and diff case blasted as grit may get into the difff case- what do you guys think of this?

Thanks, John

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:41 AM

The RHD pics are in the book & I don't have access to a scanner right now, but it's a basically a mirror image of the LHS dash - although it's on a later '59 / '60 interim car. I'll try scan & post them for you.

At a guess I'd say yours was one of the early conversions & they made it up as they went along & by '59 / '60 when the dark blue car was made, they were getting better at it.

Try contacting the Giulietta register - they may know who owns the blue car, alternately can someone in the DMV not help you ?? Then you can get a good look at the dash.

I cleaned the axle tubes on my car with a rag soaked in thinners & it stripped off the black paint fairly quickly - I don't think Alfa put it on thickly, or mine was painted just before knock-off time on a Friday.

The centre aluminium "pumpkin" cleans up incredibly well with copious quantities of WD40 spray & a small brass bristled brush - mine are about tooth brush sized. It takes a while, but the results are very good.

Someone in the Giulietta Register must have a scrap car you can take the dash out of - I'd stay away from aluminium, it's difficult to join dissimilar metals, whereas you can always fabricate & weld a RHD dash in steel & then still weld it to the car. My 0.02c worth anyway

Ciao
Greig
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:49 AM
GTD

"have the axle tubes and diff case blasted as grit may get into the difff case"
Yes, that's true - it gets everywhere - so what? You clean it with air, then solvent, then clean it again with solvent.
Is it better to leave the rust on the tubes for fear of grit?

Alfa Sapiens
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Baby Blue Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfistiSA View Post
Hi John

This is about the best picture I have of a 750B dash board, This is a baby blue car being restored in California - it's a stunning restoration

The 3 toggle switches on the LHS of the dash should be "beavertail" switches, but these are now available again, but at eye watering prices.

The silver cannister under the speedo is the push / pull pump for the windscreen wiper nozzles.

Regards
Greig
Hello Greig,

Your baby blue, or Celeste blue looks great. Would you please share additional photos with us? My 58 Sprint Veloce was originally painted in that color and I want to get as much information possible. I want to painted the original color. Thanks, Lionel
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Hi Lionel

Alas, it's not my car, I'm not even on the same continent, I've got a few pictures, but they are quite big - I had to crop the interior one to get the dash to post.

I can mail them out to you - I've got your address from the Yahoo group.

Is that 06611 ?? I've just bought 06193, an 18 Feb '58 Confortevale. The Celeste the Spiders were painted seems to be much lighter than the equivalent on the Sprints - or pehaps the email pictures make it seem so, but yes, the colour on this car is really nice & 06193 will join 06611 in being baby blue - from the original resale red.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 01-28-2015 at 05:49 AM.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post
"have the axle tubes and diff case blasted as grit may get into the difff case"
Yes, that's true - it gets everywhere - so what? You clean it with air, then solvent, then clean it again with solvent.
Is it better to leave the rust on the tubes for fear of grit?
Not suggesting the tubes are left rusty, just that elbow grease replaces grit. Having spoken to the person who suggested this, he had a bad experience with mating surfaces being damaged by blasting. Anyway, I have started the 'by hand' cleaning. Results will be posted soon.

John

post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 AM
GTD

John
Perhaps I assume too much; I do my own blasting and know what to avoid dwelling on. With reasonable preparation, (plug tubes at both ends with rags) and careful post-blasting cleanup, you have nothing to fear from media blasting. IMO

Alfa Sapiens
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Well, the suspension and rear axle parts are now with the blasters. It is a small world- the guy who runs it owns a 156 and a (new) SZ, and when I opened the boot he said: "oh, Giulietta wheels. We did a set of those last week". Apparently there is someone else out there in Sussex restoring a Giulietta Spider he had imported from California- if you are there, make yourself known! (edited to add: Penfold Mettalising, Barnham)

On another note, when I dropped off the wheels I noticed I have four Fergat and one Borrani. The Borrani is in the worst state and quite badly corroded. I have access to another Fergat which is in better condition- do you think it is worth keeping the Borrani or going for a full set of Fergats? The painter will be able to make the Borrani look good, but it will not be as solid as the others.

Last edited by johnnym; 08-23-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode