Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Acid dipping early body Sprint Normale

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kuni123456 
#1 ·
Are there any risks to acid dipping an early body Sprint 750 Normale? I assume that there some aluminum spacers used sandwiched between the frame rails right? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
My thought is that you have answered your own question - yes there is the risk of dissolving the aluminum spacers sandwiched between the frame rails.

Unless all the acid dipping solution gets rinsed out, you can also run into problems of corrosion and/or bubbled paint down the road.

Why wouldn't you just media blast the body?

#3 ·
Because media blasting leaves behind the media in places that are difficult to reach and remove even by using a lot of air. I want every nook and cranny cleaned and give it that new metal look to start from. It maybe my only choice though because of the aluminum spacers. Thanks.

#4 ·
Aluminum can be dipped - different chemicals. Just make sure they are aware of the aluminum and use the correct process. I prefer dipping if the car isn't rusty WHEN done properly and the solution must be properly neutralized and rinsed. The place that did one of my cars (mix of AL and steel) guaranteed I wouldn't have problems from residual chemicals and would pay for a repainted if so. That was 9 years ago. No issues.

#5 ·
I'm all for dipping and would have it done in a heartbeat if available in my area. I'd also get the body electro primed in the same way, ensuring coverage in all the internal cavities.

#6 ·
I had my 750D dipped and would do it again. The aluminum blocks by the suspension bolting is not a problem (you only have to worry about sheet aluminum) and tell the dipper that they are there. It is also important to drill holes where the solvent and rinsing water could be trapped, for example the side rails. The body should be oven dried (air drying takes to long, the body will rust be for all the cavities are dry) and immediately primed because it starts rusting after a few days (if you can smell the solution then it is not jet dry). The electro prim by my dipper wouldn’t compensate for normal epoxy primer so I skipped that.
The sight of a virgin Body is beautiful! Especially wen no surprises unveil.
Roland

Attachments

#9 ·
I have a problem with acid dipping. The acid removes the rust, paint and also the internal primer. I would have the body dipped in primer after acid dipping, but environmental regulations for vapor emissions make this almost impossible. I have had three Giulietta bodies media blasted and then primer etched. The rust was removed and one could see all of the body damage. The rusted out panels were replaced and other areas were repaired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.