Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Heater fan repair on Sprint

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sfourza 
#1 ·
I recently dismantled my heater fan motor in an attempt to fix it. It was seized on one of the bearings which I had to remove (difficult) in order to clean the shaft etc. After quite some messing about I thought it would work, but alas, no. The kit of parts in the UK is typically £230 so I looked for an alternative. I'd previously used a boat ventilation fan (£25) on another old car (my Panhard) so I bought another. After removing the plastic legs and dressing the body to make it nice and round I used some 6 mm self adhesive sponge rubber strip to wrap around - two rows x two layers and the fit was just perfect - no screws required. A quick test on a battery showed the fan to have really good air flow.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Series II Sprints (Interim & 101) with the blower motor inside the tapered trumpet / collector under the right front wing / mudguard. Series I; II & III Ti's and Berlina's as well.

An invisible upgrade - give the motor & fan a quick coat of satin black spray paint & you're done.

750 Sprints & all the Spiders have the blower motor in the heater casing under the glove box, although an upgrade here would be effective, but visible from the passenger seat.

Ciao
Greig

#9 ·
How does one remove the stock fan from the tube? I was just looking at mine to clean it up and repaint it and the fan supports appear to be riveted in. I'm interested in doing this mod, but I don't want to destroy anything while taking the old one out.

Thanks,
Will

#10 ·
Never mind, I got the pins loose and the fan came right out. I didn't expect them to be a press fit item. One of them was sitting a little higher than the rest so I tried twisting it and it pulled right out. The others took a little Kroil but released as well.

Will

#11 ·
This is an elegant fix and I'm using the same fan. However, I think you may have the fan installed backward. The arrow on the top of my fan housing points forward towards the blades and the blades seem to to be designed to push air in that direction. The fan will blow either direction, depending on the polarity of wiring.
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.