Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Bang from the carb SOLEX C32/PAIA 7 when accelerating

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  divotandtralee 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have this problem and still searching how to solve it: when accelerating, a bang and a small flame comes out of the SOLEX C32/PAIA 7, just next to where is the injector pipe of the accelerating pump. I have already tried different adjustements for the lenght of the control rod of the accelerating pump but without success.

So, if anybody had the same problem and already found a solution, please help.

Thanks a lot

Carlo

#2 ·
Hallo Carlo,

Check 'Glenn's alfa romeo repair & tune up guide': page 51 gives you the specification for every model.

I think the number on your needle valve must go lower: you are getting too much fuel, hence your sparkplugs get black/ detonation in the muffler & possible a detonation at the carburator.

Adjust the carburator to the right settings for your model according to this page 51 ... and you will get results.
Guess how I know ...

jp
Belgium 101.23

#4 ·
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answers:
- I bought Glenn's manual, but unfortunately my engine is a Giulia TI 1300 engine, or, at least I hope so, so I could not find any carb settings for this engine in Glenn's manual. Anyway, I posted a new thread under "sedan" for asking for Giulia 1300 TI carb settings. I hope someone will answer me.
- checked the ignition timing: it is perfect!

Carlo

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Hello,

thanks for the very useful info.

I mounted a Solex 35APAIG with main jets 1.25 and 1.45 that, as far as I know, should be correct for Giulia TI 1300, and the bangs are reduced.

Now I have another problem: after some driving, the engine stops and doesn' t want to start any more. After one week, the engine starts again, it drives for a while, it stops and doesn' t want to start any more. It happened 2 weeks ago and the again last week-end. If anyone has some clues, thanks a lot.

Carlo

#8 ·
Carlo..the reluctance to take a problem like this to an old school mechanic just leads to more frustration and chasing 95% of the "solutions" down a dead end street. There comes a time when we mortals have to toss in the towel and admit defeat. It makes life far more rewarding in the end and the cure is worth the lost time searching for it. I would think you have a greater reservoir of these guys in Italy than we have here.

#9 ·
Not to say... the knowledge you receive from the pro which is priceless. I can't tell you the number of times I have taken something to a pro and had it fixed GRATIS or for a gift card to Starbucks just because the fix was so simple in their eyes.and they were embarrassed to take any money ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.