Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Time to clean up my engine compartment - help appreciated

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  hdavis 
#1 ·
My Giulietta´s that is....

As some of you pointed out when I first acquired my 750 Spider, the dash needs to be refinished and I need to remove the windshield spray nozzles.

And while I'm at it I have decided to clean up the engine compartment, which looks worse than the rest of the car.

I will probably end up removing the engine to do it properly.

Below are some pictures of the engine compartment as it is right now, please be so kind as to point out anything you can see wrong, like incorrect hoses, clamps, grommets, extra holes, incorrect or extra cables or terminals, etc.

I know already that I am missing a fuel pump, that I have an incorrect carburettor, and that the fuel intake pipes and hoses are wrong, but your input will be greatly appreciated for everything else.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A few more pics

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I have to tell you it's hopeless. You'd better sell it and buy a better one.

BTW I'm ready to give you $5000 for this heap. >:)

I would keep the Weber, and replace the fuel pump drive with a Veloce blanking plate. Actually I think I still have one somewhere...

Is the red sticker broadcasting the use of EP oil in the gearbox? Definitely not original on a 750. I don't believe that Alfa used any round head screws, but people more knowledgeable than me will tell you what was used. And I don't think the two holes right behind the engine are original. The rest is just a question of getting the right clamps at the right angle...

Not sure about the heater valve on a Spider either...

#4 ·
Thanks,

Anyone else?

You chance to freely criticise a car!

If it was for sale, everybody would be all over it with thousands of incorrect or missing items...don't be shy! :grin2:

#5 ·
The items that I see that are not as delivered from the factory are:

1. Missing sponge rubber grommets and metal backup rings on the air ducting as it
passes through the firewall.

2. Incorrect oil line that supplies oil pressure gauge. Both material and configuration

3. Modern hose clamps, plastic zip ties.

Pretty nice car actually, clean it gently, preserve the patina.

Vern in Oregon

#6 ·
Yes, the patina will be preserved, don't worry. I don't intend to restore it.

Can someone post some pics of the items mentioned by Vern (of the correct ones that is)?

Thank you

#7 · (Edited)
And while I'm at it I have decided to clean up the engine compartment, which looks worse than the rest of the car. I will probably end up removing the engine to do it properly.
A question + two thoughts:

- What is your objective? concours winner, or just greater pride of ownership? If the former, then yea, you have some work ahead of you. Pulling the engine and repainting will be necessary. Even if you don't want to approach 100 points, fresh paint would add a lot. So would re-plating the hardware.

- 750sprint hit the high points: the copper tubing, zip ties, etc. His advice "clean it gently, preserve the patina" is certainly one philosophy, and if you plan on driving your Giulietta, probably the best approach.

- The brake fluid canisters create problems for underhood aesthetics on 750/101's. I can see that brake fluid has attacked the paint on your canister as well as the surrounding bodywork. There are a lot of technical reasons to not use silicone brake fluid, but it does have the advantage of behaving more like Armor-all and less like paint remover. If you stick with conventional brake fluid, replace the gasket on your canister's filler cap to reduce oozing.

#8 ·
Thanks,

No concourse winner here, just as you say pride of owning a correct car, it will be driven, but the engine compartment looks so much worse than the rest of the car, that in my mind requires some work.

The brake fluid canister is certainly a sore spot. The gasket has been replaced already.

One of the things that might be difficult to appreciate in the pictures is how bad the rubber around the steering column is. That needs to be replaced for sure.

#9 ·
Regarding the steering column rubber, many of us have bought new ones in the last few years, and they are not correct. The hole centers for the column and speedo cable are not in correct position. Frustration, carving with a box knife, more frustration!
I believe one molder in Italy has an incorrect pattern, and is selling to all the suppliers we typically use. A friend who has done several 750 Spider restorations gave up, and scrubs the fifty year old parts with wire brush and solvent until they look ok, rather than deal with the new parts.
If someone can confirm new parts that are correct are available , I would so love to hear that Im wrong.
Brad
Escondido, Ca

#13 ·
Regarding the steering column rubber, many of us have bought new ones in the last few years, and they are not correct. The hole centers for the column and speedo cable are not in correct position. Frustration, carving with a box knife, more frustration!
I believe one molder in Italy has an incorrect pattern, and is selling to all the suppliers we typically use.
Brad
Escondido, Ca
Brad is right, the reproduced one that is currently available is wrong for Spiders & Sprints, I suspect that it was modelled off a NOS one for a Berlina or Ti with a more upright steering column & consequently the hole is in the wrong position relative to the position of the metal holder bracket on the firewall for a Sprint or Spider.

Ciao
Greig

#10 ·
Thanks for the tip Brad, it is indeed very frustrating to buy a (probably expensive) new part to find out it doesn't fit.

#11 ·
The brake fluid reservoir needs more than a new gasket to insure fluid doesn't leak or spurt out the vent hole. The Girling reservoir on my 101 has a gasket/bellows arrangement that completely seals off the fluid from the outside air yet allows air to be drawn in as brake wear lowers the fluid level. It also serves to keep water condensation out of the fluid. My paintwork looked like yours until I fitted this part and refinished the area. I don't remember the vendor but I imagine a bit of searching will turn it up. AlfaStop, most likely.

Mike Hollinger
Atlanta

#19 ·
I wouldn't remove the engine to do the bad bits i.e. the area under the brake reservoir. When you've removed the reservoir and the steering column rubber/metal surround you will have more space to work.
You can carefully remove the damaged paint using a citrus based stripper, prime and spray from spray cans after careful masking. I get a local paint shop to match paint and fill spray cans.
I used to work for a while with a guy that detailed engine compartments on exotic classic cars - Ferrari's, Cobra's etc.. and was amazed at what you can do with the engine still in situ with a bit of thought.
Another tip is to paint black parts in satin black from a can, then polish them a bit with t-cut, so that you get a semi-gloss shine. Blends in nicely with the old finishes.

#20 ·
Those are very good suggestions, thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.