New Grills: $115!!! Brass, chrome, A+. - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 PM

The way Don described it to me.
Updated tooling quote = $10k, so $100 per 100pcs or $200 per 50pcs

Manufacture (stamp, chrome, etc) = $115 for 100pcs. Don't know if there was a volume breakpoint or not (not in my experience).

I would still be in at $215 but I think it'll be harder to get to any give volume compared to $115. But, I've been in group buys before that worked. THey just need some time and a few evangelists to spread the word.

John F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

My only complaints regarding the $389 ones is the outer lip which is way to wide. Also the chrome looks a bit 'raw' for wont of a better term. However I needed to polish out some scratches when the client's $389 grill was used for fitting the front of his Giulietta Spider and the grill now looks much better.

I do like the idea of brass since there are times that the grill needs to be tweaked a bit to fit flush. Meaning brass bends much easier.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that someone couldn't at least check email on their cell phone, unless their only phone is a dial up type. I guess that means PayPal is out of the question.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

I would be in for 2 at the new price. I still have one NOS in the bag, just in case.

Thanks, Scott

Alfa Club of the Rockies.... Join today!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biba69 View Post
My only complaints regarding the $389 ones is the outer lip which is way to wide. Also the chrome looks a bit 'raw' for wont of a better term. However I needed to polish out some scratches when the client's $389 grill was used for fitting the front of his Giulietta Spider and the grill now looks much better.

I do like the idea of brass since there are times that the grill needs to be tweaked a bit to fit flush. Meaning brass bends much easier.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that someone couldn't at least check email on their cell phone, unless their only phone is a dial up type. I guess that means PayPal is out of the question.
Since you have a NOS and a repop, it would be nice of you to contribute some photos side by side and a few editorial comments telling us the differences you see. Karen pointed out a few. Pictures showing the difference might spring more potential buyers off the fence. As I said, I have no skin in the game but am just throwing in my 2 cents for no other reason than advancing knowledge. If your repop isn't available, maybe someone else can contribute some photos. U.
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Here is another issue to always keep in mind. I've two original brass grills. Both were stripped of chrome, annealed, repaired, polished, and copper plated. I stopped there. The reason being that they need to be fitted to the nose of my car, (original, neverdamaged with original paint). Cars that have been damaged will not accept correct fit of an original grill. It must be fitted to the nose contour. I felt if I ever sold one of my restored grills, the owner should fit it before nickle and chrome plating. A new brass grill can be "sprung" a bit for correct fit on a repaired car, the later steel version is a harder fit.
Obviously, a factory OEM brass grill fits a factory nose perfectly. It could be sprung a bit to fit repaired noses.
Just my opinion from my experience as usual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

The one on the left is the $389 version. Note the width of the outer edge. Center is an original brass grill that I had repaired by a jewelry repair shop in Chicago (not much change back from a $500 bill) and plated up to the copper stage and polished. Chromed locally by a semi high-end chrome plater. The right one is stainless, and what I'm told, not repairable. The center one was in worse condition but fit the front.
Attached Images

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Here is another issue to always keep in mind. I've two original brass grills. Both were stripped of chrome, annealed, repaired, polished, and copper plated. I stopped there. The reason being that they need to be fitted to the nose of my car, (original, neverdamaged with original paint). Cars that have been damaged will not accept correct fit of an original grill. It must be fitted to the nose contour. I felt if I ever sold one of my restored grills, the owner should fit it before nickle and chrome plating. A new brass grill can be "sprung" a bit for correct fit on a repaired car, the later steel version is a harder fit.
Obviously, a factory OEM brass grill fits a factory nose perfectly. It could be sprung a bit to fit repaired noses.
Just my opinion from my experience as usual.
Agreed
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM

I am in

Even at 215, I am in for one.

Scott
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Any news on this?

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:26 PM

zero activity since 2 years ago when we couldn't get enough people together at about $200 to cover the tooling costs.
With the recent decline of the GBP, why not just buy one from ClassicAlfa in the UK (about $250)?

John F.
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

grill

Not sure if Classic Alfa grills are any better than what we have seen in the past. Way too much edge flashing, attachment holes not counter sunk.
I suspect all the grill are made by the same supplier. And not very satisfactory. I would still be in for 2 if you would consider continuing with the project.
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Refresh my memory; how many had to be pre-ordered for this to be a go?

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Does anyone have a photo of a grille purchased from CA, Mr. Fiat, or another vendor, as of late, who would post photos of it so we could see what it looks like? Vendor ads do not show the necessary details.

I have a plastic grille that came my car and I need a brass or steel one, but don"t want to purchase something only to be disappointed once it arrives.

Thanks,

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode