New Grills: $115!!! Brass, chrome, A+. - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:00 AM

John,

Please put me down for two

106 La Rue St.
Huntsville, Al. 35811
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to 81gtv6 Send a message via Yahoo to 81gtv6
Please put me down for three for my 101 Spider.
Jacob Ricciotti
Barrington, NH
408-337-2774
post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Updated List

Here's the latest as of Sat, Jan 10.
we're at the halfway point ( just over 50 pieces)

John Feng
Attached Images
File Type: pdf grill_groupbuy_nocontactinfo.pdf (36.0 KB, 109 views)

John F.

Last edited by bfeng; 01-10-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: forgot to provide a piece count

post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I did some "e-bay" old paperwork checking and found the last brass one I bought was damaged, (now straightened and copper plated). I bought it 2 years ago for MORE than these cost new. I may not need to have my spares re chromed. I can hang the copper over brass repaired ones on the wall, and use new ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 330.gtc
Smile Alfa grills

I just talked with Don Singer to place an order for a grill and he said the manufacturer and he had a miscommunication and that the manufacturer now wanted $10,000 ($100/grill for 100 grills) for the tooling, resulting in a revised price of $215.

He told the manufacturer he was not interested and is very embarassed that he advertised them for $115 and cannot deliver. He is 84 and does not do computer stuff, so I offered to post this info for him.

So, what is the market for grills at $215? I do not know who is keeping tabs on interest, but perhaps that person could receive expressions of interest from the group for grills at $215. I have no financial interest in this, except a need to have a spare grill. As he said " if you have a spare grill, yours never gets damaged, but not so if you do not have a spare."

Larry Benson
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 AM

Larry,
I have been posting a .pdf summarizing the interest on ALFABB plus Giulietta owners in my vicinity. Disappointing to hear about the pricing mistake. $215 is still a good deal, but I think it might cause people like me to reduce my desired quantity from 4 to 2 (1 to race, 1 spare). From my experience dealing with low volume tooling at work, $10k for a tool large enough to produce a complete grill seems reasonable.

As far as how to update the list ... it's there a few posts earlier. Suggest people respond again with the new price in mind.

John

John F.
post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 AM

Hi John,
I agree. I still want ONE. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:47 AM

Same here.
I am down to one.
Thanks for your efforts.

Philippe
58 Spider V, 61 SZ, 62 Sprint, 62 SS, 1900 CSS 56
post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Gold Subscriber

I still want two.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Just curious to know if the $389 listed item from current suppliers is inferior.
So I suppose there is no one who has any experience with the current crop?
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Everyone,
I had a long talk with Don last night. He apologized to everyone for the confusion. He had a firm quote from his vendor last fall, but it seems that his vendor has gotten less interested in this project (busy with other work). I did mention to don that even at $215, there will be many takers.

Don advised us to "stand down," for a bit and let him try working this out with the current or an alternative manufacturer. If/When Don is ready to give it another try, he'll contact one of us ... at which time I suggest we run this on the forum as a "sticky" and do it in the style of a group buy.

John Feng

John F.
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

grill

I don't think current repro's are very good. Too much extra metal on outside edge. Both mounting holes should be recessed- dimpled- and they are not. Makes using correct screw- especially lower one- difficult. And the contour is just not quite right. I had a repro on one Giulietta- did not fit well- an original was used when body work was done. Ended up putting my last NOS on it and it fit perfectly. I am going to massage the repro so that it is correct. And I will put myself on the list for 1 of these if they ever get made. Even the higher price still a bargain. My nickels worth. 50+ year 58 Giulietta Spider Veloce owner.
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM

I agree Karen. Don and I discussed this. He agressivly follows up on his projects. I could only hope to do as well at his age. I believe he will attempt to get this done.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlegs32 View Post
I don't think current repro's are very good. Too much extra metal on outside edge. Both mounting holes should be recessed- dimpled- and they are not. Makes using correct screw- especially lower one- difficult. And the contour is just not quite right. I had a repro on one Giulietta- did not fit well- an original was used when body work was done. Ended up putting my last NOS on it and it fit perfectly. I am going to massage the repro so that it is correct. And I will put myself on the list for 1 of these if they ever get made. Even the higher price still a bargain. My nickels worth. 50+ year 58 Giulietta Spider Veloce owner.
Thanks for the report.. I just don't need one as I have couple in my stash. It would seem that the onesy-twosie proposition isn't going to make the 100 threshold. It seems that if indeed this new venture creates a source that produces a totally accurate reproduction, then the bargain price might not be the motivational factor to buy them in view of the inferior supply in the pipeline. Wouldn't it be prudent to factor in a price for say, 50? I have a sense at a price of $300-350 under that scenario it might still be doable. If I needed one and knew it was as good as the original, that would still be peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Spending that kind of money on inferior stuff is where the hurt comes from.

I just had a discussion with a friend who needed door pulls rechromed. I asked him why he wasn't buying the repops. Same story. How could they be so bad on such an easy design to copy? They were junk in his opinion because of the razor thin edges. Uncle

PS I just bought some NOS door handles for my GT because the repops are JUNK. Did I pay dearly? Yes..Do I care? No, because they were worth it. Uncle

Last edited by divotandtralee; 01-14-2015 at 08:13 AM.
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 330.gtc
Regarding comparativequality; no way to tell until a side by side comparison is made.....cannot do right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode