Photos of 750-101 Sprint/Spider interiors - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Gold Subscriber

Fred,

My car uses the throttle control that is on the right hand side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM

101 Spider interior 1960

This thread is already getting away from the original point, and getting sidetracked into other issues..... Wouldn't it be best to only show 'original' interiors, rather than restored interiors that the owners 'think' they have got right? (No offence meant to George Kraus, whose restored interior is very correct... although heel pad stitching differs from this original car!)

Posting photo's with comments like '....would be interested to know what looks original and what looks replaced' lead to us being unsure if the pictures are correct or not. This thread is intended to form a definitive library of correct original interiors, not to ask questions about if your interior is original or not.... or did I get that wrong?

Having done very extensive searching, this is the most original 101 Spider Veloce interior that I could find, posted on the veloce register. It dates from 1960... albeit missing the rubber front floor mats and hood cover. Note floor vinyl and pattern of stitching on heel pad of tunnel carpet.
Attached Images

Last edited by timdaw; 12-23-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: additional info
post #33 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 AM

101 Spider interior 1960 cont..

Last picture...
Attached Images

post #34 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Tim, you´re absolutely right, it should be like that, to show the real and correct originality beyond any doubt, only suppose that someone had restored interior on an i.e. 1958 car ten years after in 1968, already then keeping it as original as possible, how do you see the difference between restored and original, and guarantee the factory originality after 46 years when everything got patinated and half worn out? I don´t think its going to be that easy.....and at the same time there has maybe been several owners and it is not always the case the latest owner can guarantee anything.....

P.S. Ok, experts can always tell after the foam type in the bottom of the seats, or the type of supporting straps in Spider seats etc, but for most others it is not going to be that easy....

Dennis

Last edited by concept 101; 12-23-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #35 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdaw View Post
This thread is already getting away from the original point, and getting sidetracked into other issues..... Wouldn't it be best to only show 'original' interiors, rather than restored interiors that the owners 'think' they have got right? (No offence meant to George Kraus, whose restored interior is very correct... although heel pad stitching differs from this original car!)

Posting photo's with comments like '....would be interested to know what looks original and what looks replaced' lead to us being unsure if the pictures are correct or not. This thread is intended to form a definitive library of correct original interiors, not to ask questions about if your interior is original or not.... or did I get that wrong?

Having done very extensive searching, this is the most original 101 Spider Veloce interior that I could find, posted on the veloce register. It dates from 1960... albeit missing the rubber front floor mats and hood cover. Note floor vinyl and pattern of stitching on heel pad of tunnel carpet.
I don't know that the original intent was to show original interiors; don't see that in the Title, but I guess it is sorta suggested in the text by the originating author. That's not a bad idea though I think most of us can tell original from restored by the photos.

Now here is an original for you...
Attached Images

George Kraus Restorations
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Portland, OR USA
e ::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
RESTORATION PHOTOS ::

ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG ::

post #36 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:16 PM

You are right Dennis, of course, but we have to try and reach a consensus on what is the most original pattern, based on documentation of the cars having some known history, and thought to be unaltered since new.

I used to have a Porsche 356, and for them it is really easy to find the correct details for everything on the car... Not so for the Giulietta. Why is that? I've spent hours looking at forums, inspecting cars that have been restored and re-restored incorrectly, and finding misleading and simply incorrect information down almost all avenues.

The Alfa books generally show incorrectly restored cars too. Parts suppliers produce, for instance, carpet sets which are nothing like the original shapes or original material and call them 'exactly original pattern'..... Despite what I say, I'm not an absolute originality nerd, but wouldn't it be great to have an accurate reference source for our cars, SHOULD we desire to do them 'correctly'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept 101 View Post
Tim, you´re absolutely right, it should be like that, to show the real and correct originality beyond any doubt, only suppose that someone had restored interior on an i.e. 1958 car ten years after in 1968, already then keeping it as original as possible, how do you see the difference between restored and original, and guarantee the factory originality after 46 years when everything got patinated and half worn out? I don´t think its going to be that easy.....and at the same time there has maybe been several owners and it is not always the case the latest owner can guarantee anything.....

P.S. Ok, experts can always tell after the foam type in the bottom of the seats, or the type of supporting straps in Spider seats etc, but for most others it is not going to be that easy....

Dennis
post #37 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdaw View Post
The Alfa books generally show incorrectly restored cars too. Parts suppliers produce, for instance, carpet sets which are nothing like the original shapes or original material and call them 'exactly original pattern'..... Despite what I say, I'm not an absolute originality nerd, but wouldn't it be great to have an accurate reference source for our cars, SHOULD we desire to do them 'correctly'?
Tim,

That´s the problem, not even Alfa can sometimes say what´s correct and what´s not. The same goes for some of the books that actually should identify various parts like engine numbers, but can be wrong there too. I like originality and think cars should be restored to factory specs in every aspect, but its not always that easy for everyone.

The first step should be to rework the title of this thread and add "original" interiors but I don´t think its possible to change the title in retrospect, so that´s the first bump.
I also had a Porsche 356 once, but its history now, still regrett selling it after 30 some years as it was a ´54 Convertible.
I´m out of suggestions on what else to do with this tread.

Dennis
post #38 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Dennis,

I agree with you that restoring a 750/101 car should be as original as possible. I saved my original interior for my 101 Sprint Veloce and gave it to the shop as a pattern. The car has been in my family since it was new. The seats were recovered before 1968. I have to replace the cloth around the door and window winder with the silver foil material.Name:  1961 Sprint Veloce Interior 001.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  1961 Sprint Veloce Interior 005.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  1961 Sprint Veloce Interior 006.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  1961 Sprint Veloce Interior 007.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  41.9 KB
post #39 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

Name:  1961 Sprint Veloce Interior 001.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  52.2 KBThis is a photo of the original interior.
post #40 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

I used to own a 1957 Spider that I restored more than 40 years ago. The car had very similar interior except for the transmission shift cover. The door handle and window winder are different than a 101 Spider.
post #41 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
´63 Sprint, 2 plus 2 rear seat

Rear seat of a ´63 Sprint as advertised on Ebay (or perhaps somewhere else).

Dennis
Attached Images

post #42 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Hi guys,

Looking 2 buy a set of front seats for a '61 Sprint Veloce, any condition will be considered.

Many thanks,
Alex

Moretti 750 GS/Moretti 1200 GS/Giaur Champion/Bandini Siluro/Abarth DB/Abarth RM/Topolino Siata/Fiat Geburth/Abarth Simca 1300 Corsa/Fiat Moretti Sportiva
post #43 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM

Interior of 1959 Sprint 750

I agree with some of the above - for me the interior doesnt need to be exact - as I am not going for concourse, BUT it is good to know what the starting point is (or was) My Sprint has got black corduroy inserts in the front seats, and as its last proper home was San Jose, that must have made getting in to a hot car a whole lot more comfortable with bare legs - but was this original fitment - the rear seat (same as the first example on the thread) is black PVC. The quality of the work is spot on, so i am guessing that they are original
Attached Images

post #44 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 AM

Raising the roof

The roof lining above the rear seat has also been cut away, quite professionally executed - to provide an extra inch or so of head space - was this an Alfa mod or after market?

Can anyone tell me if seat foams are available for a Sprint?
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by therealbushman; 06-10-2015 at 03:32 AM.
post #45 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 AM

The short answer is yes, the red & black is most likely correct for your car. During '58 & '59 Alfa & Bertone were experimenting with ways to jazz up firstly the ageing Series I and then the new Series II. One of the ways that they did this was to use Vinyl/Vinyl combinations in a variety of colours. Black & red was one of those combinations.

The corduroy inserts are an owner mod, but the back seat is correct, right down to the moveable centre arm rest and the fitted side panel arm rests. These back seats were available as accessories, BUT had to be ordered at the time of the car as they were incorporated into the car on the assembly line & the trim was matched to the car.

The recess in the headlining is also correct - one of those late '58 to early '60 quirks. There's a metal frame spot welded to the roof and the headlining tucks around it with a piece glued directly to the roof in the middle. Our 11 Jan '60 1493*21726 has the same headlining. This concept was carried through into the later 105 Coupe's.

The back seat is quite a rare piece, Giulietta's were expensive & the accessories were costly add-on's to the purchase price.

Seat foam is currently not available as there are several versions of the Sprint seats. You will have to have your trimmer cut foam to suit.

Ciao
Greig
6 x Sprints
3 x Spiders
1x Ti
Others

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode