Just picked up a 1960 Veloce Spider barn find. Now what? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by M635dude View Post
Alfa just got back to me and the car is a veloce that was built on August 1st 1960. Graphite Grey over Red.

For now, it sits.
A rare interim veloce and one of the nicest color combo.
How much for that horrible basket case?

Alejandro - Italy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 AM
HUD

I'm with Gordon on this one..Unless your in a major hurry and no space..Slow down and do a little at a time. So it takes 5-8-10 years enjoy the process.

Ciao!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Platinum Subscriber

M365dude,

I am reluctant to post this reply as you have received a lot of good advice and encouragement but I have a slightly different slant to ponder.

First, you have the good sense to recognize that this project is beyond your present capabilities.
Second, you are a qualified welder.

That gives you two traits that few, if any, first-time amateur restorers possess and bodes well for your chances of recovering this car.

May I suggest that your first step is which advice to follow: is this madness or a golden opportunity? Your call.

If you decide to go forward think about buying a cheap hulk with similar problems. It doesn't have to be an Alfa just anything that you can work on and learn how to fix. That way, you can transfer your knowledge to the Alfa and not merely use the Alfa as a learning tool.

Best of luck.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM

I sense with over 500 views, there are more sides to this question that would benefit the owner. No one will be smitten if they step forward so let it go. I think he asked a fair question that deserves some real life experiences and costs. I asked this question a few months ago and never got anywhere. I think folks need to share more in this department. It's been too long since I did a full restoration so I can't comment but it really is a value to those wading into something like this. I've said my two cents now it's your turn. It shouldn't have to turn into a debate.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

I think that you should start to buy Veloce parts for your car starting today. I am helping someone restore a 101 Sprint Veloce and have sold him some of my spare parts that I purchased 40 years ago. I know that body work is expensive, but finding parts can be very difficult especially for Veloce cars.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

The "more-car" you have, the more valuable it is, restored or not. Totally agree with Kuni.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUD View Post
I'm with Gordon on this one..Unless your in a major hurry and no space..Slow down and do a little at a time. So it takes 5-8-10 years enjoy the process.

Ciao!
I Agree. If I were a (certified or not) welder I'd do just like that, but this is a matter that only the concerned person can evaluate.

I would like to remind to the friends of the press and the great beyond that this would not be the first time that a car in desperate conditions back to its former glory. Without going very far there is the Paul's 1958 veloce, a botton up well done restoration started from these remains:

Same for the Pete's, even more complicated metal work on another 1958 Veloce:

Again, helas, my 1960 Veloce

As we all know, today a lot of stamped panels are available (almost ready to use) so the restoration becomes a puzzle game, which saves time and money:

On the other hand I do not think that the market penalizes restoration projects started from wrecks, and, in fact, The Paul's Veloce was auctioned and sold for 99,000

Below the estimated auction price, I know, but I've always wondered if this was not due to the eclectic colors combination rather than to other contingent factors
In any case (of course we should ask him) I do not think he has lost money. What I know for sure is that he has enjoyed that enterprise to the edge of madness.

Alejandro - Italy

Last edited by AlfaDrone; 09-24-2014 at 05:31 AM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM

That was an amazing project, and completed, was essentially a new car. Also a source I suggested our thread starter, both for cost, and sources. That car is unlikely to EVER be a parts car again! For me, it's another one saved and I like that.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M635dude View Post
Alfa just got back to me and the car is a veloce that was built on August 1st 1960. Graphite Grey over Red.

For now, it sits.
FWIW, I tripped on the 101 25 designation in the parts book.. Page 9 ..It is a Giulietta Spider Veloce USA ( which was pretty much a given) in the range 1495.08001 to 1495.11900. there are footnotes I can't figure out the meaning.

Hope this finds you sorting through the parts..and marking them.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 AM

LOTS of photographs stored on a zip drive will be very useful. Whenever I take various things apart on my unrestored 1965 Aucsa Veloce spider, I photo same and save. I've sent hundreds of photos of parts of this car to other BB members so they know how it was from the factory.
If you decide to sell the car, the photos are valuable!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 PM

Garage
Sent you a PM.
Find a donor car that has some decent metal in it and do some cut/paste to save you the work of having to do all of that labor. Money ahead in the long run.

Christopher

www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 PM

I've restored both better and worse than that and I am about to embark on the journey again !!

Keep in mind that they were welded together from both stamped panels and hand formed bits and pieces when they were new, a proper restoration where bits and pieces are welded back in PROPERLY will not detract from the value.

Apart from the values, which are , entirely secondary as the value can only be realized when the car is sold, we do this out of fun, out of passion and occasionally out of frustration......

I tought myself to MiG weld, Dad taught me pretty much everything else, we are just home restorers and enthusiasts. You seem to be better skilled than most and your workshop / garage looks to have lots of spare space.......

The car is worth restoring, either by you or by someone else, there's no difference in Veloce and Normale in the rest, both take the same amount of work, Veloce parts are more expensive and once finished, it will command a higher price than a Normale - it's a supply and demand thing, even when new, Veloce's were about 9% of total build.

Ciao
Greig
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM

everything can be fixed,makes it easier if sheet metal is available and the budge is more than generous.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode