Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Best convertible top and source

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  alfazagato 
#1 ·
I would like to replace my original convertible top with a new one.
I have three questions:

1.- Fitment: my '59 Giulietta is the SWB version but with fixed vent windows. The product No. 2019 of IAP state that the advertised top is for cars with short wheelbase (SWB) and no vent windows on doors. Mine is SWB but with vent windows. Could this top fix in my car?.

2.- What is the main diference between both materials: Vinyl and the one called stay-fast?. The original one that I have is like a cotton or something similar.

3.- What is the best source of this convertible top in USA and Europe?

Thanks

#2 ·
Enrique

You need the SWB hood, the Vent window vs no vent window issue is very simple

* Vent window 750 SWB Spider = European Specification

* Non-vent-window 750 SWB Spider = USA Specification

The wheel bases are identical, from chassis 08000 the wheel base was lengthened by 2"

Ciao
Greig

'57 SWB Spider with vent windows
Others

#7 ·
never seen that either. I think it is safe to say the strapping and any accrudiments associated with the top bows is not included by top suppliers. Robbins does provide a very nice velvet covered padding for the rearsection in contact with the body. Installing it to the metal bar on the 750 is best left to a pro.

#8 ·
The herringbone pattern material that covers the front bow on my Spiders is simply the back or cloth backing of a piece of vinyl which was glued shiny side down onto the front bow or peak.

Looks very nice & fancy, but in reality is the side you usually never see.....

Ciao
Greig

#11 ·
Robbins has several material options. I'll strongly second the earlier recommendation. Go to their website and all will be revealed. I've been using their tops for Alfas since 1974. You can certainly get the Stayfast fabric, wich I like as well. If you use a local Robbins installer, they will guarantee against installation problems. If you screw it up yourself, you'll have to buy another top. There really is no better option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.