Giulia SS Bondo Sculpture - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Giulia SS Bondo Sculpture

First of all Happy New year to all. Now the good stuff!!!! I purchased this Giulia SS in Austin TX last year and decided to do a complete restoration. I knew the car needed lots of work but NEVER imagine to be as much as what I have discovered. Thus far, I have removed a 5 gallon bucket full of bondo and more to remove. The entire car was sculture out out of Bondo!!!!!!This car has been in Texas for more that 25 years mostly in the Houston area where it was "restored" by a local shop. I remember seeing the car in several events back in the 80's and in fact I have some old photos of the car when it was "restored" Now I am going to restore all over and hopefully with significantly less bondo this time around. The good thing about it is that I can get my money's worth out of my English wheel. Once we strip the entire car we will have a better sense what we are in for to be completed. Thus far I am thinking of making a wooden buck in order to make all four fenders. Should I re-body the car in aluminum! Very interesting proposition!

I will not be posting too many photos here but anyone interested in following up with this restoration can see more at AISLLC.SMUGMUG.COM Photo site still work in progress and the final version will not be out until later this year. Yet, many of the cars we are working will be here for your viewing pleasure.

Regards,

Lionel

Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com
aisllc.smugmug.com
Attached Images

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 01-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Bondo Off

All Bondo and Fibre glass off. Ran out of five gallon buckets.

AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug
Attached Images

post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM

good lord; any guess as to total weight?

1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial, S.II; s/n 0556(0446)MD
1968 Ferrari 365GT2+2; s/n 11199 - former owner 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia SS; 381357

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Any newspaper and chicken wire yet?

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Piper- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Any newspaper and chicken wire yet?
Nope. Just plain all bondo, fibre glass, and thin aluminum with undercoating to mascarade the "quality" restoration. All is gone now and I will be bysy with my English wheel.

Next report when the metal fabrication and body work is done. just keep watching aisllc.smugmug.com

Lionel
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 PM

My 61 SS didn't have much rust, except the passenger rocker. When we started working on it after media blasting, a roll of newspaper wrapped in window screen and covered with bondo/fiberglass, sort of fell away. The thing was heavy enough I'm surprised I didn't break a toe!

Kevin Murray
61 SS #381
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Centuries from now automobile archeologists will use restored cars to date man's progress in civilization by reading these cached newspapers. And catch up to date on old news . . .

Now
)(
)(
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

Links

post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Ancient history

I have a '35 Renault Primaquatre Cabriolet, it was built in December '35 and shipped out to South Africa as a RHD "Export Model" in 'Gris 'd Appret" - primer

It was painted red over burgundy in March 1936, because that was the date of the folded up newspaper I found wedged into the rumble seat lid under the trim

I enjoyed catching up on man's progress over the years

Just another day in the history of our classic cars.....

Ciao
Greig
Attached Images

post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
This is why the business of restorations must be difficult. Owner brings in what looked like an okayish car and now it is requiring 60% of the metal to be replaced and will be costing lots of $'s ... I hope in this case the owner understands .
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
This is why the business of restorations must be difficult. Owner brings in what looked like an okayish car and now it is requiring 60% of the metal to be replaced and will be costing lots of $'s ... I hope in this case the owner understands .
Pete
Pete,

I do understand. I am the owner and restorer. More photos to come.

Lionel
post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

More rusty parts.

Just completed cutting and forming all the metal for the doors and passenger side of the car. We are now replacing the entire passenger side floor pan and cricket box.
Attached Images

post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Driver side, Almost done

Well, here are the most recent photos for the passenger side where we are starting to finish after removing everything including the passenger side floors that are now new.

The last photo is my new rotisserie that I just made for the SS. Can someone tell me what is wrong? I got a little overzealous and almost crew it up.

Let see who will find out?
Attached Images

post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Lionel, just out of curiosity as a benchmark, how much do you estimate the bodywork and painting will cost, since you are the customer you are not compromising a client. Not the whole car's restoration with interior, trim, etc. The nearest $5k is fine. Thanks, Bruce

Now
)(
)(

Gone-
-

) -

Links

post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Lionel, just out of curiosity as a benchmark, how much do you estimate the bodywork and painting will cost, since you are the customer you are not compromising a client. Not the whole car's restoration with interior, trim, etc. The nearest $5k is fine. Thanks, Bruce
Bruce,

Can't tell you because I have no benchmark to go by given that is the first SS we have worked where there are no straight lines almost anywhere. I am estimating around 700 hrs for sheet metal fabrication, metal replacement and final hand planishing. If you take a look at the Sprint we just finished we spent 500 hrs and there is at least an additional 200 hrs for the SS. You can see the Sprint final video at AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug. A great deal of time is spend on hand planishing in order to remove all panel distortion. We do not cover panel distortion with bondo. If you see the bare metal sprint - you will notice that you can not easily detect any welding or metal replacement on the outer skin. That is because the welding is fused into the panels with oxy-acetylene welding that is them hand planished in order to achieve a superior quality finish. Have you figure out what's wrong with my rotisserie?

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to user459
Rotisserie

Lionel,

I just can't figure it out! It looks like an optical illusion to me.....
Attached Images

Terry Rushbrook
SNO Director at Large, Space Coast, FL
'65 Guilia Spider Veloce (project)
'79 Spider Veloce

[B][I]Nothing drives like an ALFA![/I][/B]
[COLOR="Blue"]www.alfamagic.shutterfly.com[/COLOR]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode