Giulia SS Bondo Sculpture - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The driver side door is in place and the door gaps are being set to the same width. Normally, the SS doors have uneven gaps all over our goal is to correct the gap spacing uniformly on all sides.

Also we have done some preliminary hand planishing to the new lower skin and once the door is correctly fitted the final hand planishing will be done. Thus far the door shuts nice to the touch, all gaps are set uniformly. We are very encouraged by the progress considering the complexity of all the work to get the door to this point.

Check the video:

AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug
Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com
Attached Images

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Can't speak for yours or 'all the others' but my unrestored SS has very even gaps on both doors. Trunk and hood too. The few others I've seen at shows seem to be the same. Now, my Triumphs....eh, not so much.

Given these were hand assembled to a very high fit, might it be more fair to say that "most SS's that have had their structure compromised by corrosion have door gaps all over the place"?

Just sayin...

Great restoration thread. You are making progress at a pace that I can only dream of for my current project.
post #48 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
You Sir, must have enormous gonads!

Looking amazing.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Cool

Lionel

Another impressive project.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.

Last edited by Subtle; 02-20-2013 at 08:05 AM.
post #50 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Dan View Post
Can't speak for yours or 'all the others' but my unrestored SS has very even gaps on both doors. Trunk and hood too. The few others I've seen at shows seem to be the same. Now, my Triumphs....eh, not so much.

Given these were hand assembled to a very high fit, might it be more fair to say that "most SS's that have had their structure compromised by corrosion have door gaps all over the place"?

Just sayin...

Great restoration thread. You are making progress at a pace that I can only dream of for my current project.
Dan,

I have seen lots of SS's and not all these vehicles were built the same uniformly across the board. I have two Giulia SS's and the door gaps on neither vehicle have the same gaps by hinges nor at the door locks. I guess that both of my cars must have been made on either a Monday or a Friday.

Monday, because the work crew still hung over from the excess Chianti and Sambuca from the weekend or Friday, because they could not wait for the 4:00pm whistle to run out the door for another weekend of drinking. Just a hypothesis. Another hypothesis is that since not all work crews had the same skill level my cars might have been put together by the new rookies or less competent crew.

The trunk lit and hood appears to have good gap but I can not say the same for the doors. Maybe once you remove all the lead around the door edges used to rectify the gaps you will find otherwise.

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.
post #51 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Very impressive job!

Marc
Giulia ss 1963, Giulietta ss 1960, SZ ES30 1991
post #52 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

We just installed my experimental rotiserie, and it works great! It is amazing how everything looks from a different angle! The new sills are in progress and although there is lots of work going on I am starting to see some progress.

Enjoy the photos

Lionel

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.
post #53 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Most recent photos.
Attached Images

post #54 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Giulia SS gaining a new life

Giulia SS restoration is turning the corner and we are starting to see a new life taking form. Thanks to our new rotisserie work is starting to move faster. Sandblasting under the carriage is done and the new skin is going in. I guesstimated a total of 700 hrs for sheet metal fabrication, metal replacement, disassembly, removal of undercoating and sandblasting. We are well into our second month going into the 3rd month March 1st with 400 hrs into the project. The more challenging part still ahead of us, yet I am very optimistic.

I appreciate the overwhelming feedbacks received from many of you.
Enjoy the photos and feel free to leave comments on the project photo albums.

Lionel

Attached Images

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-25-2013 at 06:23 PM.
post #55 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Once all the metal work is done the final step will be the hand planishing and the lead work. Hand planishing undoubtedly will be the most tedious and time consuming of all the work process.
post #56 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Velez View Post
Once all the metal work is done the final step will be the hand planishing and the lead work. Hand planishing undoubtedly will be the most tedious and time consuming of all the work process.
Can you explain how you "hand planish" please, and how do you do this on panels where you cannot get access to the other side?

My understanding of planishing is where you hammer both sides of the panel at the same time to I think stress relieve it ... have I got this right?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #57 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Can you explain how you "hand planish" please, and how do you do this on panels where you cannot get access to the other side?

My understanding of planishing is where you hammer both sides of the panel at the same time to I think stress relieve it ... have I got this right?
Pete
Hello Pete,

Hand planishing requires access to both inside and outside of the panel where hammer and dolly is applied in order to relive the panel of stress where by either you shrink, stretch, or curve. If you look at the rear quarter panels of the SS you will notice that the inside fender well were removed for both repairs and allow access to the rear quarter panel in order to Oxy-acetylene and hand planishing.

You can view hand planishing process at AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug under restoration videos and

Hope that is clear as mud.

Lionel

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-25-2013 at 09:08 PM.
post #58 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Lionel

I regret that we never met when I lived just south of Dallas. Alas.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #59 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Lionel

I regret that we never met when I lived just south of Dallas. Alas.
Hello Don,

Your visit to my house should count! Stop by when you are in the Dallas area.

Good hearing from you,

Lionel
post #60 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Pete,

Your comments are important because it will helps me explain the process and others understand how the process work from beginning to end. I am trying to build a video library for anyone with a desire to either learn or just satisfy their inquisitive thinking. I could not tell you how much I learned by watching David Gardiner Metal working video. I watched from time to time even though I have reached a higher skill level. The only skill set I am still not to par is the TIG Welding process. And to be honest, I have not tried hard enough; I find TIG to be an exceptional bench work tool but complicated to operate when you have to get down and under in hard places. TIG requires you to use both hands and foot to handle heat control I find it like walking the tight rope and thus find myself frustrated and unwilling to try harder.

Thank your inquisitive thinking.

Lionel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode