Giulia SS Bondo Sculpture - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Now that *is* a large chunk of real estate...........& at nearly $1600, that's a large chunk of cash too....

Mine cost me $330 to build 3 years ago, I had the 2 lengths of angle iron I used for the roller plates, the hoops are 50x50x4mm wall thickness - anything less in wall thickness doesn't like to roll without kinking the tube. At 4mm wall thickness each hoop weighs a hefty 40kg's. The rollers are simple marine boat trailer rollers & a spot of waterproof wheel bearing grease keeps it all rolling smoothly

And mine ain't original thought either - check out Michael Wolter's Giulia Super here -> Bilder. Michael was kind enough to share the basic measurements of his design & I tweaked it to suit my available roof height

Ciao
Greig

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 02-06-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Corrected hoop tubing size....memory wasn't so good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfistiSA View Post
Now that *is* a large chunk of real estate...........& at nearly $1600, that's a large chunk of cash too....

Mine cost me $330 to build 3 years ago, I had the 2 lengths of angle iron I used for the roller plates, the hoops are 40x40x4mm wall thickness - anything less in wall thickness doesn't like to roll without kinking the tube. At 4mm wall thickness each hoop weighs a hefty40kg's. The rollers are simple marine boat trailer rollers & a spot of waterproof wheel bearing grease keeps it all rolling smoothly

And mine ain't original thought either - check out Michael Wolter's Giulia Super here -> Bilder. Michael was kind enough to share the basic measurements of his design & I tweaked it to suit my available roof height

Ciao
Greig
Michael was kind enough to sent me a copy as well a while back. As you indicated earlier there are some pluses and minuses of each design. I choose this because it suits my needs better.

Thanks for sharing.

Lionel
post #33 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Good thread diversion here Lionel - The advantage of this discussion is that other folks out there get to see what can be done

If you have a *lot* of fender work, Lionel's A Frame & arms is better, if you have lots of nose & tail work, mine is better, either can be made with simple home tools and a decent welding rig. In my case an Engineering works rolled the hoops for me, but the labour cost was minimal and I bought the steel & had it delivered to them.

If your workshop space is vast & you need to move the shell around, add wheels, if your available space is short & so is your off-the-car storage capacity, mine has this advantage

Both are adjustable for chassis lengths, hoop sizes on mine can be made bigger if you have a '57 Caddy in your stash, my hoop sizes were made according to my workshop roof height (allow for the roller plate & light fittings)

Both can be braced down the middle with a steel bar for cars with rotten floors & sills - I'd suggest making up a bar that went from the engine cradle bolts under the chassis rails to the rear trailing arm mounts, but to speak nicely to an Engineering works & install a large turnbuckle or adjustable bolt to allow for tweaking the frame to get it 100% straight when doing sills & door apertures - it's what I've got planned for one of my Sprints.

Ciao

Last edited by AlfistiSA; 02-06-2013 at 08:53 PM.

post #34 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

When we replaced the inner sills support section we punched and flared the holes for added strength. Originally the inner supports on the SS where solid flat sheet of metal. Surprised that no one commented.
Attached Images

post #35 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well! I just finally booked my reservation for the AROC 2013 convention. I need to work harder in order to get it ready to drive through the dessert! (Just kidding)

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-07-2013 at 05:44 AM.
post #36 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Velez View Post
I need to work harder in order to get it ready to drive through the dessert! (Just kidding)
I assume this is your new idea for sand blasting? The downside is: it's more difficult to collect all the bondo pieces that fall off when driving through the desert!

Late '57 Giulietta Spider Normale
post #37 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach5rider View Post
I assume this is your new idea for sand blasting? The downside is: it's more difficult to collect all the bondo pieces that fall off when driving through the desert!
Actually, there will be no bondo! Bondo verboten!!!!!
post #38 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 AM

If one wants to see the ultimate bondo sculpture, have a look at this thread on the f-chat board. Regards, Ian

The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333 - FerrariChat.com
post #39 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceOne View Post
If one wants to see the ultimate bondo sculpture, have a look at this thread on the f-chat board. Regards, Ian

The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333 - FerrariChat.com
Ian,

I have seen similar work before, 15 gallons of bondo removed from the SS pale in comparison. If you purchased stocks from Bondo manufactures in the '80's and '90's you could have enough money to live the life of "Champagne wishes and Caviar dreams" Know the new fad is Sheet metal fabrication equipment. Just the signs of the time.
post #40 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

We just completed the driver side floor pans, sill sections and ready for installation.
Attached Images

post #41 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Restoration on this SS started on December 28th and as of today we have logged 280 hrs. So, what has been done in 280 hrs?

Removing everything from the car except suspension.
Paint stripping, bondo, fiber glass, undercoating, and sand blasting.
Metal fabrication of floors, door frames, sills, jack point boxes, crick boxes and floor pans
Welding, lots of welding

We should be done with all the floors and sills except the outer rockers this upcoming week. We are also replacing both inner rear rusty fender wheel wells and installing these once we replace all the damaged rear fenders with new metal followed with hand planishing.
Attached Images

post #42 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Wow, for a Texas car the rust is extensive!
Beautiful work!
post #43 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz133 View Post
Wow, for a Texas car the rust is extensive!
Beautiful work!
Marc,

Although, the car has been in Texas for a long time it is very likely that it was an originally northern vehicle. We removed a heavy and thick under coating that was very common back in the '70's for cars that resided up north known as Ziebart. I can say that Ziebart rust proofing treatment deterred rust to a degree but it failed to protect the car from the brutal salt destruction. The rust damage is more apparent from the inside out and not from the outside in. Once rust makes it way out the damage inside is already done.
post #44 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

New Photo updates on SS Bondo Sculpture

SS is coming along very well and as of late we have done the following:
finished the driver side new floors, driver side rocker, longitudinal support, crick box and new door frames. Next week we hope to complete the doors with new skin before we star moving to the outside panels.

AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug
Attached Images

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.
post #45 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

A few more.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lionel Velez; 02-16-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode