Threaded hub cap retaining clips - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Threaded hub cap retaining clips

Can anyone tell where to source these hub cap clips without costing 4,5 euro piece? I need 25 of them and that seems a little steep price for simple items like that (total = 112,50 euro).There often use to be tips on the board where to get various smaller items in hardware stores of the big retail chains.

Thanks,
Dennis
Attached Images

Last edited by concept 101; 02-28-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

60s VW wheels have similar clips, though I don't know if they're close enough to work. but look on a VW site for what will fit 70 and early Bus wheels. I riveted a fair number of them on my Bus some years ago.
Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Beetle clips come close in looks. Don't know about the dimensions, but you could try a set. At euro 5.95 for a set of five they are a lot cheaper...

Volkswagen Bubbla Hubcap clips & rivets 5 pcs number 2503 / 111601131

Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint58 View Post
Beetle clips come close in looks. Don't know about the dimensions, but you could try a set. At euro 5.95 for a set of five they are a lot cheaper...
Seems the VW clips are very similar, except that small anchoring tab at the ends, which is probably vital for the clip stability. I guess without it, the clip might slowly shake loose and start turning round with the consequence of loosing the hub caps while driving.
Don´t know if the clip anchoring is enabled by some groove in which it rests on VW wheels, but it is not satisfactory solution here, otherwise nice tip, thanks guys....

Dennis
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I'd say if you honk down on them pretty good with the threaded fasteners, or rivet them with an air tool, they're not likely to move, even without the tab. I never has issues on my Bus, and I riveted those by hand, with a big ballpeen and bucking bar.
Andrew
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Hi Andrew,

I already found the clips with threaded fasteners at Classic Alfa for half the price from everyone else, still much for measly clips like that, but I rather don´t want to hammer and fiddle with the riveted ones on the rims/wheels as they are already painted. Don´t have any air tool for that either.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM

In the dark ages before the cottage industry of bits we have today I used VW clips on my Giulietta wheels, properly riveted, they don't move and the hubcaps is held securely.............BUT, not all hubcaps are the same, I have at least 5 different hubcaps and while they all look alike, there are subtle differences in tolerances and I went through quite a few to find the ones that clipped on securely. Some simply popped off on their own. Both times I had a hubcap pop off a rim it was with the VW clips

BY contrast my recently restored rims have the proper Giulietta clips and any of the variety of hubcaps fit securely. I prefer the ones with the rivet, my Dad turned up a cup and rivet head punch on the lathe & like Andrew says, a big hammer works well !!

Ciao
Greig
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
I launched a nice '65 Super hubcap on a short length of road, never to be found again only an hour later (dang lake people hillbillys ). I think it turned up in Canada on e-Bay. It had one slightly loose clip. Make sure they are very tight. Some are bolted and most riveted. The new rivets (small copper jobs) are pretty anemic compared to the original ones (large-headed steel ones). Some in other thread's posts have said pan-head bolts with aircraft (nyloc) nuts are the best.
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - just for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - now for sale
Gone - Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK
Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, but right now, being pretty worn out of the eternal search for missing parts, as well as thousends of moments to solve a restoration brings about, constantly fabricating some temporary tools, I just prefer threaded fasteners for a quick fix which I later on, when maybe not having anything to poke with, can always swap for the original rivets. I´ve once used the threaded fasteners on the Spider as well and it works perfect, although don´t have any recollection the clips were THAT expensive 15 years ago....

Dennis
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
I launched a nice '65 Super hubcap on a short length of road, I think it turned up in Canada on e-Bay.
I bought it - just kidding........
Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.