Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Looking for my fathers old 1963 Alfa Giulietta Coupe, have serial number...

Tags
ar 355428
6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Chris1750 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so this might be like trying to find a needle in a haystack that is even if it hasn't been crushed by now but I just came across a trade in invoice from 1968 with the Vin number of his 1963 Alfa Romeo. He purchased this car straight from Italy and had it shipped over to him. He purchased it from his uncle who raced Alfa Romeo's in Italy and this was was modified and tuned for racing. So the Vin is AR 355428 (2 door Giulietta coupe), is there anyone out there that knows how to break down this vin so I know more about this vehicle? Also is there some sort of registry that I could type it into and see if anyone owns it now? Any help on this would be great, thanks guys I am a total newbie to this!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Dig those craaazy spinners, man!:cool:

is there anyone out there that knows how to break down this vin so I know more about this vehicle?
Send the chassis number (AR 355428) to Marco Fazio at CentroDocumentazione@alfaromeo.com. He can tell you the date of manufacture and the original interior / exterior color combination.

Also is there some sort of registry that I could type it into and see if anyone owns it now?
You can check the registry here but she's not on it. Having been tuned for racing, she probably led a hard life.

What's the story on the photo?

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you find.

#6 ·
Thanks guys I will get right on it! The story of the photograph is that my father the Drummer was also a photographer, so one day he got the band together to do a couple shots that they could use for promotional flyers. I just scanned it in and still haven't had time to clean it up in Photoshop, figured it would be a cool picture for this site!

#11 ·
Themuzz
Can you give "The Audience" a little more to work with ...
The first thing I notice about any ALFA is the color.
63 Sprint; AR333428 ; traded in to a Wilmington, Delaware Pontiac dealer in 1968 - in what state was it registered for 5 years ?
(side note: what replaced the Sprint?)

Wilmington, DE is not known as a hotbed of ALFA activity ... its proximity to Philadelphia lends credence to a possibility of the next buyer (and registration) being from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

1968 - it seems there was a Police Action being performed in the Far East by U.S. armed forces during this time ... anyone lucky enough to return stateside was looking for a new ride. Muscle cars were in vogue then but a number of individuals sought something of a more sporting transport. This might have been the next owner ... or ... cool wheels for a college kid ??? Plenty of educational facilities in that area.

Best of Luck with your search !

#12 ·
Hope this helps the search:

Dear Mister Muzzi,
According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 355428 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint (101.12), manufactured on the 10th December 1962 and sold on the 26th March 1963 in Rome, Italy.
The body colour is Alfa red.
Yours, Sincerely,
Marco Fazio

#20 ·
And for what its worth, it could be in Europe or some other place in the world, as there have been several waves of import/export, forth and back from or to the US since that time, depending on currency exchange.

You could also visit your police station, explain the situation and maybe some friendly soul will help you, definately worth trying....I doubt they are going to shoot you for that....

Dennis

#22 ·
Someone posted this photo on the [101-105] listserv recently, and I ran across it today.

I ran your dad's VIN through Public Data. That covers registrations in Colorado Florida Idaho Iowa Kentucky Maine Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Nebraska North Carolina Ohio Oregon Tennessee Texas Utah West Virginia Wisconsin Wisconsin Wyoming. Sorry, no luck.

#24 ·
I ran your dad's VIN through Public Data. That covers registrations in Colorado Florida Idaho Iowa Kentucky Maine Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Nebraska North Carolina Ohio Oregon Tennessee Texas Utah West Virginia Wisconsin Wisconsin Wyoming.
On a different but related note, my Spider was originally purchased in Oregon and if possible I would like to trace its ownership history.

Are the Public Data records that you used available for everyone to search?

Regards,
Chris

#23 ·
So I am still on the hunt guys, just came across another old photo and figured I'd post it here. I checked with my local DMV and they were pretty much useless, still haven't tried the police department but I am thinking I might give them a shot this or next week. Thanks again for all the help guys, Damian

Attachments

#25 ·
I tried to find my father's 1958 Spider after he sold it in 1961 to a UCLA professor. I talked to the professor in 1970 after he sold the car and could not find it at that time. I know that privacy laws were not so strict then as they are today and I do not think that unless you are in law enforcement you will not be able to search DMW records for a long lost car. I also believe that many old Alfas were sent to the scrap yard many years ago. I kept my 1961 Sprint Veloce that was purchased by my father in 1961 and given to me in 1968.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.