Spider Veloce Restoration Diary - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Smile Spider Veloce Restoration Diary

Hi People

my name is Alejandro, from Italy. This is my first post here. I followed this Board for over a year but I had not registered yet because, as you ‘ll see, my spell sucks. Sorry for that.

First thing first I want to thanks you all: this forum, along with the 750/101 yahoo group and giuliettas.com, has been my primary web source of data on Alfa Romeo classics and restoration info.

Now, I ‘m involved in the restoration of my 1960 101 interim Giulietta Spider Veloce ("Involved" means here that I actively work alongside the experienced guy who leads the restoration work, trying to learn everything about my car).

I do not have many good pictures of my Giulietta, but you can see her in the videoclips that I regularly publishes in my Restoration Diary Blog (Spiderveloce's Blog)

In any case I wish to present my proyect:

It/she

- is a matching numbers true Veloce, as evidenced by the Archivio Storico docs (see Mr. Fazio’s e-mail);

- was built June 4, 1960 and she was built to go to America, but she has never gone overseas, since an English gentleman bought it at the factory;

- had there a small accident which destroyed the left fender and part of the nose. Then a criminal tried to repair it with tons of Bondo;

- about in 1987 was sold to a Dutch sire.

I bought it last January from Joop Stolze in De Lier, Holand, and since then I ‘m fighting a truly war against rust Apart from that, the car seems to have good mechanical stuff: the engine turns by hand and the transmission is correct. It Has several missing parts witch I'm looking a bit 'everywhere: web, autojumbles etc.
(I 'll use only original parts, no repros).

Until now I did:

- disassembly: a really fun Svitol Party
- Stripped old paint out (chemical);
- Sanding of the body (bottom and engine bay only);
- purchase of spare parts (Fender - a Cannibal Mission - and many wrong items that I ‘m trying to resale on ebay).

Now we are ready to begin the truly reconstruction of the body. God help us!
We work slow (only 2 days at week): I 'll post 'in progress' links here.

I hope to enjoy your advice and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Alejandro - Italy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Alejandro,

Welcome to the forum. You will find very many nice and helpful people on the forum as well as the Yahoo group. Like you I am trying to learn from an experienced restoration company as my 750F 1958 Spider Veloce undergoes full restoration. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Paul

Paul Yesnosky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Completed Sept 2012

- Restoration Paused, Currently Sleeping
1960 Giulietta Spider Normale - In Hibernation

- Up After the GTC

- Restoration Started
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Alejandro, welcome to the forum, and thanks for deciding to post your progress here. Your English does NOT suck, we all understand you perfectly.

I believe that we now have two or three new Giulietta restoration projects being documented here on the BB - excellent! I look forward to reading them all.

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '65 Giulia Ti * '67 GT 1300 Junior

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Alejandro, Welcome... I really enjoyed clicking on your links to see the restoration process and your Spiderveloce's Blog.

I will enjoy the progress.

Cheers,

George Kraus Restorations

Portland, OR USA
e ::

1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
RESTORATION PHOTOS ::

ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG ::

post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Many thanks for the welcome guys

yep, now there are two veloces in the making at alfaBB: Paul started after me, but I'm sure he will be faster, that is 'più veloce' than me (Nice Blog paul, i 'll be link it ASAP).

I'm glad that you appreciate my Rock'n'Roll Resto documentation The video clips are part of the game and help me to recharge the batteries to go ahead with all the work.

Georges, Patrick, you know... in order to avoid to seem melodramatic, i prefered do not write this in my first post, but now I have to say 'very special tanks' to you both: your fine documentation of the restoration were an important stimulus for me, to address the entreprise itself and to share it the best way i can

Alejandro - Italy

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Alejandro,
Everyone reading your progress reports are very interested in helping save another of these neat cars. You should be able to get good answers here for any questions you may have. One of my customers is also in the middle of a 1960 Veloce transitional car restoration. He has had one of the best Ferrari restoration shops here in the US do the body, as it was in very poor condition. Now, it is very close to "as new" condition, after a substantial investment of time and money. Though this customer could probably have bought a nicer car for less money, his thought was that he wanted to save this particular car. He has succeeded, his transitional spider will now never again, be considered a "parts car", and he has the respect of many of us who like these cars.
Here are just a few pictures of the car, the trunk floor restoration is always a challenge!
Attached Images

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

Last edited by Gordon Raymond; 09-09-2010 at 11:33 PM.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 AM

The "F" punch

Hey Gordon

That's obviously a Monday car as Gianfranco was clearly too hungover to wallop the "F" letter punch hard once, instead he settled for 2 or 3 effete taps. Luigi usually managed to get it right with one wallop, but he generally never got it straight either.....

More proof that the firewalls were all manufactured in sequence and those shells destined to become Veloce's were designated so after the fact.

With more than one "F" on the firewall, is this a Super Spider Veloce ?? Does that make it twice as fast ??

Aye
Greig

1495 08930 (Feb '60)
1495 10990 (15 July '60)
+ others
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM

It Might! with all the tin worm work, the body is probably somewhat of a lightweight!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi Gordon
sorry for the delayed replay, I was at the Imola Autojumble this weekend.
And thanks for the pictures. I agree with Greig: that ghosted 'F' seems a hungover work

Yes, me too I could buy a better car for less. But my plan was not simply to own a Giulietta spider veloce, but to save an 'almost-parts-car' by restoring it nut and bolts my self.

I say more: the original plan was to present a fully restored fifty-year simbolic giulietta (Veloce, red, builded in june 1960) to the centenary celebrations. Clearly, we miscalculated the timing of work

Anyway I think it's better this way: we can now work without haste and do everything as it should be done.

Alejandro - Italy

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
5UG

Ciao Alejandro (e lei della canzone di Lady Gaga?)
I'm also having my Veloce restored.
Here's a picture of what she was like when I bought her (full Forum post in Jan 2010)

Work started about a month ago and this is what she was like about a week ago.

Soda blasting will be taking place in a few days time. I've been told to carefully protect the front suspension chassis mounting holes as they can be damaged during blasting.
I've been having fun sourcing parts (most seem to be available from Classic Alfa and Alfastop in the UK where I live).
I enjoy the Spiderveloce blog - un bello lavoro, don't worry about your knowledge of English, I've been studying Italian for a few years and haven't reached sucking status yet!
Alla prossima volta
Alan

Alan
1962 Giulietta Spider Veloce
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Hi Alan,
Does your car have the same 2 shoe helical finned drums both front and rear as shown?
I raced my '65 Veloce in this configuration as I did not like the feel of the spongy pedal from the front disc's. I have since learned the remedy (larger master cylinder used with the three shoe front drums), and my car now has the discs back in place in front.
However, I found in racing, the two shoe helical drums, both front and rear, were a wonderful combination, and both lighter and easier (as well as cheaper) to keep functioning properly, than the three shoe front drums, or the disc, drum combination.
With soda blasting, or any other type media blasting with these cars, what needs to be avoided is getting the media inside the stamped chassis members. Simply plug the holes with wood dowel plugs.

Gordon Raymond
Now:

Last edited by Gordon Raymond; 09-13-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:51 AM
5UG

Hi Gordon
The brakes on the car are exactly as I bought it.
I've got confirmation from the Alfa archives that the car is a Veloce but, other than replacement of the block a few years ago, I thought she was all genuine Veloce parts.
I sent a couple of pictures to the Giulietta Register secretary Peter Yaxley who told me that the manifold isn't Veloce. I think that Veloce manifolds are very expensive, and the new exhaust system I have would need to be changed, so I think I'll just keep the normale exhaust parts.
I'm aiming to have the car rebuilt almost as it would have been from the factory, even though that will mean it won't be as convenient to drive. I quite like the idea of sending myself back in a time machine to the 60's from time to time.
So far the planned "improvements" are :
Dynalite alternator
Mohair soft top
Leather interior
So far the project has gone smoothly, the only problem I'ver had has been a few missing parts (some must have been lost when the previous owner was taking the car to bits).
This is annoyingly expensive, particularly when the originals are probably lurking under a work bench somewhere.
It will be interesting to learn of the challenges the other Veloce projects run into, and how they are solved.
Alan

Alan
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Alan,
You will have a lot of fun with this car. From my personal experiences both on track and street, you need not worry about your brakes! The set you have are the most attractive, lightest and easy to maintain. They have no difficulty in stopping this light car time and time again from over 100 MPH. The alternator is a good idea, particularly if you have additional electronics that need power. I have seen many Alfa spiders retrofitted with leather interior, and it looks and smells nice. My only concern is rain. These cars often leak some even with the best top. This is witnessed by the great number of rusted out seat bottom pans I have repaired over the years. If it either never rains where you are, or you never get caught in the rain, you will be fine! We have many excellent sources of reproduction parts here in the U.S. and many are discussed in depth here on the BB. There are quite a few wonderful suppliers in Europe as well.
Those of us that love the Giulietta / Giulia cars are always on the lookout for spares, some we may never use, for our own cars. Many of those parts we find lurking under someone's bench, just as you suggest!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

HI Alan
No please, my friends have mocked me all the summer about that lady gaga song

Nice veloce you got there.
I do not think soda blasting can damage the suspension mounting holes, since the inner piece is made in solid alluminium. Rather if I were you I would take that steering wheel away right now.

Last but not lest, i think that a 'normale' manifold on a veloce engine is not a good idea. It can affect compression and, afther all, a double weber injected twin cams sound is a serious thing

Alejandro - Italy

Last edited by AlfaDrone; 09-15-2010 at 01:20 AM.
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM
5UG

My car is back from the blaster - much worse than we thought!
The main structural parts of the body are good but lots of panels which looked OK are very thin (almost porous) or full of holes.
New boot (trunk) floor, seatwells and many other places need attention.
Thank goodness my restorer is a member of the family and not only can fabricate panels but is a brilliant welder.
As a matter of interest can any bodywork panels be bought ready made (in the UK preferably)?
Alan

Alan

Tags
giulietta bodywork

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode