Spider Veloce Restoration Diary - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

ahà Lionel...con que esas tenemos

The man in my profile pic is Carlos Arzani, an argentinian race driver:

Carlos Arzani sips a "mate", a green tea, while resting on his 8C, serial number 50014. Later, after being significantly modified, 50014 was further destroyed in a fatal accident in 1948.

Picture from the book: Alfa Romeo Argentina, Part I, By Cristián Bertschi and
Estanislao Iacona. (Veloce Today)

Alejandro - Italy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

All over red

So, afther 250 hours of (prep and painting) work, my Giulietta is back to it's original Rosso alfa 501. A few pictures here, all the rest in my Blog.

Reassembling starts soon

Alejandro - Italy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Isn't it amazing to see them like this again?

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

post #79 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:56 AM

Hello Alejandro,

Don't you think that the original red color of the Giulietta Spider is "rosso chiaro" (or "rosso Pininfarina") AR 505 ?

Previously = Giulia TI Super, Giulietta 1300 Sprint, 1600 Sprint GT Junior, Alfetta GTV, Alfetta 2000 saloon. Currently = Alfa 156 TS, Giulia Spider.
post #80 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

AFAIK it is Rosso Alfa 501, but... se below

I compared several color samples from different brands before deciding on what I belive was the factory shape of red used on my spider. As you can see above, the Maxmayer A.R. 501 Rosso Alfa 21/B (left) matches the Lechler 505 Rosso chiaro, whereas the Lechler 501 matches the Maxmayer 501 21/A.

It must be considered that for the same color there are different shapes. The A.R. 501 Rosso Alfa changes over the years, so it is darker on early cars (21/A) and a bit clearer since 1960 (21/B). My spider is a 1960 101 interim Veloce, then I chose the 21/B from Maxmayer. if I had used Lechler products, I probably would have chosen their 505 Rosso Chiaro.

As a side note, I will refer what an expert told me about the processes of painting at the pininfarina factory. He discovered this curious fact while, using advanced chromatography techniques, he was trying to establish the right shape of each early A.R. nitro color in order to reproduce them with modern chemicals. Shortly, there was no color equal to itself! More precisely, only the cars painted together in the same batch were the same color, that because, quite simply, the tank cleaning between the coating of a batch of cars and the other was not a priority at that time, so, if, for instance, before painting your car they had painted a batch of white cars, your car was a lighter color, or darker if the previous batch was black and so on.

Frankly not sure how much of this is entirely true, but something tells me that things were not going very differently.
One thing is clear: often, to be faithful to the factory specifications, we become trapped into dilemmas to the limit of absurdity, and only a look at how things really were in those days shows us that we risk being more catholic than the Pope

Alejandro - Italy

post #81 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:28 AM

Alejandro,
I agree that there seem be 3 nuances of rosso 501, witch were applied to bodies Bertone or Touring according to the joined picture witch I saw in AlfaBB forum.
But there were also 2 nuances of rosso Chiaro AR 505 (Cardinal red and Farina red which seem to have been applied to Pininfarina spider 750/101 ..
But you are doubtless right that every car was able to be different in the time, and your work to resuscitate this Giulietta is fantastic !

Previously = Giulia TI Super, Giulietta 1300 Sprint, 1600 Sprint GT Junior, Alfetta GTV, Alfetta 2000 saloon. Currently = Alfa 156 TS, Giulia Spider.
post #82 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My veloce leaving the paint Shop

[youtube]hmZ8WztnaN8[/youtube]

> Blog Post

and two pictures:

Alejandro - Italy

post #83 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 AM

Bellissima !!!!
post #84 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

This is a stage in restoration where the designers idea is more obvious to me than the completed car. I don't know why. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #85 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Gordon you are spot-on !!

All the designers & Carrozzeria just got it right the first time
  • Pininfarina with the Spider
  • Bertone with the Sprint & Sprint Speciale
  • Centro Stile with the Berlina & Ti
  • Zagato with the SZ

They carry a big WOW factor today, but back when they were new, they were revolutionary. Age has continued to flatter these little Jewels - not something that can be claimed by every design from the '50's.....witness the Edsel amongst others...

Ciao
Greig
post #86 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

...and finally, the assembly stage:

> More pictures on my Blog:

Two things that never fail in an Italian workshop: WD40 and the calendar with a naked babe

Alejandro - Italy

post #87 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Garage
Great Journey!!!

Rob s

Rob S, Cur.84 Spider,87 Milano.01 XK8,Prev 91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #88 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM

nice thread

Tags
giulietta bodywork

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode