Spider Veloce Restoration Diary - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Lionel,
I find my photographic and written commentaries with my customers of utmost value. They know what is being done with their project, both visually and with the written word and are encouraged to add input. I like satisfied customers!
Gordon,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Nevertheless, video does provide increase the entertaining value in a 3D kind of way. At the end of the day.... full documentation on a restoration is king just as cash is king, specially when the first class restorations must be set apart from the mediocre ones expecting top dollar at the expense of those of us who go the extra mile and effort with details and period correctness. That said, not all quality restorations are rotiserie restorations, but most just happens to be due to a significant number of factors mainly rust issues. Just my to Euros worth.

Regards,

Lionel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yearly update

Seriously, after much indecision and a lot of time spent on sourcing the correct parts, restoration begins to go faster.

Meanwhile, the engine rebuild is done and it is also reassembled. Here is as usual the videoclip:

> Blog post: Rimontaggio del Bialbero (AR 106*00049 Assembly)

Many new old stock parts

- carbs are almost ready
- gauges are under restoration by an ex employee of Veglia Borletti: I 'll show you guys the Jaw-dropping results he is able to achieve
- Wiring harnesses is ready
- Fuel tank is done
etc. etc.

I'm leaving tomorrow to Northern Italy to check out the metal man work and, after that, I 'll attend the Padova Swap meet.

More updates soon.

Alejandro - Italy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Restored Gauges

... and here are a couple of pic of my restored gauges:

- Blog post: Restauro strumentazione (prima parte)

Before:

After:

Notice they have been also converted from Mph / F° to Kph / C°.

Palo...what?

Alejandro - Italy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Very nice work!

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrone View Post
... and here are a couple of pic of my restored gauges:
Palo...what?
Alejandro,

It IS truely a jaw-dropping result, but for others that might want to use this guy´s services (if possible of course), one of the main essentials you forgot to mention is "quanto costa"???

Dennis
post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept 101 View Post
Alejandro,

It IS truely a jaw-dropping result, but for others that might want to use this guy´s services (if possible of course), one of the main essentials you forgot to mention is "quanto costa"???

Dennis
Thanks
The complete restoration and conversion to Km/h of my sets comes EUR 998,00. Now, consider (a) that I provided some components as plastic numbered rings in Km/h, gaskets and other minor bits; (b) my set was together with others in a group that we (me and some guys followers of my Blog) have arranged to get the better price; on the other hand (c) the internal componets of my instruments were in very poor condition.

Regarding the pro who did the work I do not know much about him and I would not say inaccurate things. I met him once when I saw the results of his work on one of the sets involved in the group (see the final part of the videoclip) and immediately decided to give him mime. I know he worked with various companies that make top Restorations (Villa d'Este cars and the like). I will meet him again at the time of payment . Meanwhile, if someone is in a hurry I could give the email address (on PM please) of my my friend Marco from Padova, who has a close relationship with the restorer and managed the group.

Alejandro - Italy

post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Garage
Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for your respons.

Not that my intention here is to badmouth your guy or anything, he´s truely excellent, just a comparison while anyway on the subject, but Palo Alto´s work is not that bad either, see here in the attached pics below. These are an Alfista colleaque´s from Stockholm instrument he´s sent to Palo Alto for restoration and overhaul and the cost maybe 3-4 years ago was approx. $900 or maybe just under (shipping excluded)).

Yet its good to know that there still are guys around in Europe that can perform this kind of quality job on uncommen items like these. (there´s definately no one in Sweden I know or have heard of that can do this)

Dennis
Attached Images

Last edited by concept 101; 12-10-2012 at 08:37 AM.
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

The short answer here is that true quality work anywhere is going to cost some money!
However, the results in both cases speak for themselves.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Impressive!!

Question: the larger dials are white, whereas the small ones are orange. Was this factory, or did th sun have something to di with tihs?

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Why did you convert to Km/h?

Also why do people reset the speedo's to 0 miles/kms? I've had a few people talk to me about my car saying will I be doing that? ... I have no intention or want to do that. We'll just continue from where it was .
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Why did you convert to Km/h?

Pete
Europe (except GB) = Km/h, I guess all of these km/h european countries require odometers on mph imported cars converted to km/h in order to pass MOT inspections.

As to why reset to 0, can´t answer that as these are not my instruments.

Dennis
post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept 101 View Post
Europe (except GB) = Km/h, I guess all of these km/h european countries require odometers on mph imported cars converted to km/h in order to pass MOT inspections.

As to why reset to 0, can´t answer that as these are not my instruments.

Dennis
Yep, MO ispection is the first reason to convert them. A second reason is the consistency with all the rest: the car is being restored according to the European specs.

"why do people reset the speedo's to 0 miles/kms?" Well this is a good question. I'd also like to start from the point where the car was set-aside, but first: what does the number 34856? means? (1)34856? (2)34856? Second, having converted the instruments to Km/h, it no longer makes sense. Finally, this is not a preserved car, it will be a restored to "new" condition car... in a word, this will no longer be the car than once, but something different, that is the result of a compromise between fidelity to factory specifications and practical needs.

Back to the comparison between palo alto gauges and mines, sometimes I really appreciated their work (as in the pathung gauges); in other cases, I have some doubt about the correctness of the work performed. Given that the most important thing is the istruments mechanics (and on this point I can only say that I hope that they work), also aesthetic aspects are important. What the hell is this paint? Why not the original zinc plating?

On the other hand, reading this thread I realized that the waiting time to get the restored gauges back is very long, and that prices can be up to $2000

I would like to clarify a few things about my gauges: first, the complete restoration took only two months; second, the price has increased till almost € 1000 for two reasons: the mechanics had practically to be thrown away, then was partly restored and partly replaced with NOS componets, and the conversion to Km/h. Another member of the group brought his instruments in better condition and does not want the conversion kmh, well he spent a little over half of what I spent. Same excellent quality:

Alejandro - Italy

post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrone View Post

What the hell is this paint? Why not the original zinc plating?
Alejandro,

Read the attached thread and got really chocked: waiting 8 months and $2400? That´s ridiculous....
I guess my friend must have been BSing me about the price, or he was extremely lucky....

The painted fasteners are definately hardly worth a "pro" definition and especially not for that kind of money, as one would expect genuine and solid workmanship throughout (like in your case), as well as zink plating is not that a big deal to pull off (and shouldn´t be for a company like this either).

Well, I have to admit now that with all this knowledge, I would pic your guy anytime.....

Thanks,
Dennis
post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM

There is a certain "value" placed on a brand or service that over a period of time remains acceptable even at ridiculous prices simply because the customer believes he cannot get it done any other way. As long as customers line up at the door to pay, it is a thriving enterprise regardless of price. Unfortunately, there is little competition in this business of instrument restorations, and for that we are on the hook to pay.

I dare say there is plenty of talent on the BB site to walk through a complete restoration of these instruments as they are not that technically impossible to grapple with. There have been written articles about how to calibrate these gauges. I personally like a little patina on mine, too.

As for plating versus painting the case, to me that is just "eye-wash" to drive up the cost and make the customer feel good and fuzzy over the invoice number.. Neither enhances the performance or preservation any more than the original finish, unless of course the gauge was underwater.
post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

[Additional info on gauges restorer]

Now that I got the ok from the guy to put his data on the web I can tell you more about him.

He is called Tullio Paccagnella, from Abano Terme (Padua).
Tullio worked at the Veglia Borletti for almost 10 years, from 1983 till 1992. Currently has its own workshop (Telephone: (+39) 049 8600869. Mobile 345.6825696 [sorry no e-mail]) and he also collaborates with Quality Cars, whence come most of the councours winner cars one can see at Villa d'Este. Just to give an example, the AR 2500 6c Sport Ghia has passed through his hands

More pictures of my gauges at this Blog Post

Alejandro - Italy

Tags
giulietta bodywork

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode