Giulietta Sprint Veloce -61 abnormal restoration - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMartin View Post
and the two final pics for this time
Great job. I had to do a similar replacement on my Spider.

Cheers,

George
Attached Images

George Kraus Restorations
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Portland, OR USA
e ::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
RESTORATION PHOTOS ::

ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG ::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi George,

I had a look at your amazing restoration. I take my hat off!

I have a question. How are the hoses from the airfilter and the air inlet to the coupe supposed to be connected to the inlet behind the grill (on the drivers side) on a veloce? The remains (and mods) on my car give no clue.

Cheers, Martin
post #33 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Hi George,

I had a look at your amazing restoration. I take my hat off!

I have a question. How are the hoses from the airfilter and the air inlet to the coupe supposed to be connected to the inlet behind the grill (on the drivers side) on a veloce? The remains (and mods) on my car give no clue.

Cheers, Martin
Martin, are you talking about the connection in the front wheel well from the front air scoop? I have clamps similar to these mounting the front air scoop.
Attached Images

George Kraus Restorations

Portland, OR USA
e ::

1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
RESTORATION PHOTOS ::

ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG ::

post #34 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I am wondering how the air scoop itself should look, since I need to build new ones (all rusted away). I have attached a picture from a normale, but I assume it should look differently on a veloce with the two hoses.
Attached Images

post #35 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I think the Veloce has a vertical elbow that the air hose to the carbs fits to.

Originally part of the metal scoop, but one could secure the elbow aft.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #36 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Don,
A friend, Skip McCabe, of McCabe Automotive Restorations, has just completed the body work on a 1960 transitional Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. At some time in this cars life, the nose was crushed, and it was re-nosed, rather poorly, as all the front end supporting structures were cut away. Skip borrowed my 1965 Spider Veloce this past winter to use as a pattern for recreating all the missing sheet metal on the 1960, including all the Veloce air pick up and components in the left side of the nose.
You might try e-mailing the secretary, Irene, @<mccabes860@aol.com> as they may have pictures of the work done for this cars owner. Tell Irene I sent you.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #37 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Gordon, et al,..

The Sprint Air vent coming from the front opening are completely different. I am currently working on one of my Sprint Veloce's and will be making this piece. I can post some photos of what the original is suppose to look like later this week.

Martin, I am sure that you will be needing a wiring harness and I can sure help you with the most period correct reproduction available. Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com Please feel free to see some of my harnesses in the Gallery section.

Regards,

Lionel
post #38 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 PM

Whew!
Thanks Lionel! Same customer at Skips has his '58 750 Sprint Veloce there, but I did not look at the cold air pick up.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #39 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Whew!
Thanks Lionel! Same customer at Skips has his '58 750 Sprint Veloce there, but I did not look at the cold air pick up.

Mine has been removed from the car and the view will be three dimensional
post #40 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I was sent a picture of how it should look for a 750 sprint. I guess it should be similar for the 101 except for the part around the indicator light.

I am creating templates (see figure, but please don't use it yet since there could be errors) and will post them once I have the complete idea of how they should look.

Martin
Attached Images

post #41 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I think the reason why the original branch for the air-to-carbs hose was vertical was to eliminate the risk of ramming water into the engine.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #42 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 AM

MUCH different from the spiders!

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #43 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I was sent a picture of how it should look for a 750 sprint. I guess it should be similar for the 101 except for the part around the indicator light.

I am creating templates (see figure, but please don't use it yet since there could be errors) and will post them once I have the complete idea of how they should look.

Martin
The above photo is for a 1st series Sprint with eyebrow trim. The 2nd series Sprint does not have the directional signal assembly attached to the box, but rather it is mounted on the egg crate grill.
post #44 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
MUCH different from the spiders!
Granted, but my point was that it would be easier to put an upside down "T" aft of the existing scoop.

Which is what I will do on my Sprint.

As the saying goes we do live in a rain forest.

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
post #45 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

The abnormal abnormale

As I learned it the term abnormale originally came from converting a regular Sprint into Veloce look-alike by adding twin webers and so.

My car has done an opposite transformation, hence being ďabnormalĒ. It did start life as a Veloce -61 but at some time in history it lost its original registration. The registration was replaced with that of a normale -60 which is the cars current identity. The body still wears the original Bertone body number and the Veloce specific sheet-metal beams for the 80 liter fuel tank and attachment for the handbrake wires.

Since the car doesnít have the original registration nor the original engine, gearbox, rear-axle, brakes or correct Veloce-instruments I donít aim for a perfect original restoration.

My aim with this car is too have something that looks authentic, is fun to drive and also suited for track-days. I aim to restore the bodywork and interior close to how it looked as new with a few exceptions. There will be a (removable) six-point roll cage and since I donít like the original chairs (not that I have them anyway) I plan to create replica SZ chairs that fits the era (of course), are beautiful and offer much better side grip. I do have a 2l engine, a five speed gearbox and rear- and front axles with disc brakes that are being prepared for the car. These will do until I can afford the correct items for the car. Should it be that Veloce papers should appear on the market I will see if I can afford them and put the car back to its original state. But for now it will have to stay an Abnormale!

The attached pictures of the beautiful -62 Veloce serves as an inspiration for the restoration work I am doing.

Martin
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode