Work during the last months
Last summer I decided it was time to take up the restoration of the Giulietta again. I shut down my old workshop and sold of much of machines (lathe, grinders and much more) and most of the ”good to have stuff”. Then I moved the remaining 2 cars and the remaining equipment to a smaller place but 40 km closer to where I now live. On pic 19 you can see my race car “flying” over my friends cars as it is lifted up on the truck I hired for the move.
It was anyway a good time to have the Giulietta sandblasted, so I had it done when I anyway moved the car. The sandblasters did a good job with the car and all the loose panels such as fenders, doors, hoods and such. Unfortunately the sandblasters painted the car with a black primer which makes it surprisingly difficult to see properly what you are doing or to take any reasonable pictures. I had seen work of the sandblasters before where the cars had always been painted with a light red primer, so it was a complete surprise.
With most of the things set up in the new place by late October, I could start work on the car again. First I reviewed what was needed to do and in which order. If you look at pics 21-23 you can see that the sheet metal where the pedals should be is largely missing and that the front floors do not have the correct pressings. They had been replaced at some time in history with flat slabs of sheet metal welded on to top what was remaining. It was quite rusted now anyway. The front left cross member is basically nonexistent as well and the middle left cross member quite rusted too. In pic 22 you can see that the luggage compartment floor has been replaced with a flat piece of sheet metal. This was done in the -90’s and although in good shape and reasonably well done it has to go! Not only that it is ugly, but anyone can anticipate the rumbling noise it will create while driving… I will replace it later with a piece with the correct pressings.
Needless to say, there is so much work left before this beauty will be on the roads again.
Basically, I took it up where I left it long ago. The car needs to be structurally sound before anything else. The last thing I did was to replace the center and outer rocker panels. Since the inner was in very bad shape too, the new panels were not attached to it. First I locked the outer rockers in position, to keep the car straight, and then I cut out the inner rocker together with the rotted cross members and part of the floor (fig 24). New cross members were created with the correct shape and welded to place with a new inner rocker. Lower part of the front left torpedo wall was shaped and welded to place with the restored support / attachment for the pedal housing (pics 25-28). Part of the metal around the gearbox tunnel was replaced too. I have tried to shape the sheet metal as close to the original as possible. It is really a wonder how much help you can get by surfing the net and see the pictures from other restorers!
Next step was to weld up the rear seat floor next to the left inner rocker and also to open up the rear left longitudinal frame (pics 29-32). It was looking suspicious and was full of dirt and in quite bad shape. This was repaired and the box attaching the inner rocker to the rear frame (and rear jack point) was created and welded to place (I have to add a picture later).
After this I shifted my attention to the front of the car. The front left frames (pic 33) was not in great shape. The right side had been repaired earlier, but I will have to redo that since the shapes are not correct. The front lower cross member was opened up and naturally replaced since it was full of dirt and quite badly rusted on the inside. All rust was cut away and replaced with new sheet metal. I did also reinforce the front sway-bar attachments on the inside (pics 34-37).
This is basically where I was when I started this thread.
There have been some developments since last time I wrote. I will tell you more about these later on!