Giulietta Sprint Veloce -61 abnormal restoration - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

And some more pics...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

And some more...
Attached Images

post #18 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 AM

rockers

Where did (do) you buy your rocker panels, i·m in the need of a pair, thanks

post #19 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I did them myself.

If you have the profile you should be able to have a metal workshop bend a couple for you.

Good luck!
post #20 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Don, if your Sprint could talk! I know it would never be able to thank you enough for it's rescue! You are doing a fantastic job, and it is very clear from your photos and work, that you really care about this car! It gives me great pleasure to see these cars saved from destruction. Having driven and raced Giulias and Giuliettas for 47 years, they are the best of the vintage sports cars and are still wonderful drivers today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #21 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

For most of the previous post--"For Sure"

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #22 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm a fan- Great job!
post #23 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Welcome to the world of Sprints

Don-
An amazing feat of restoration. Congratulations! I will follow your project with interest.

Phil

Phil
'62 Giulietta Sprint Normale
post #24 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the support!

It makes me even more motivated to finish the restoration asap.
post #25 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Work during the last months

Last summer I decided it was time to take up the restoration of the Giulietta again. I shut down my old workshop and sold of much of machines (lathe, grinders and much more) and most of the ”good to have stuff”. Then I moved the remaining 2 cars and the remaining equipment to a smaller place but 40 km closer to where I now live. On pic 19 you can see my race car “flying” over my friends cars as it is lifted up on the truck I hired for the move.

It was anyway a good time to have the Giulietta sandblasted, so I had it done when I anyway moved the car. The sandblasters did a good job with the car and all the loose panels such as fenders, doors, hoods and such. Unfortunately the sandblasters painted the car with a black primer which makes it surprisingly difficult to see properly what you are doing or to take any reasonable pictures. I had seen work of the sandblasters before where the cars had always been painted with a light red primer, so it was a complete surprise.

With most of the things set up in the new place by late October, I could start work on the car again. First I reviewed what was needed to do and in which order. If you look at pics 21-23 you can see that the sheet metal where the pedals should be is largely missing and that the front floors do not have the correct pressings. They had been replaced at some time in history with flat slabs of sheet metal welded on to top what was remaining. It was quite rusted now anyway. The front left cross member is basically nonexistent as well and the middle left cross member quite rusted too. In pic 22 you can see that the luggage compartment floor has been replaced with a flat piece of sheet metal. This was done in the -90’s and although in good shape and reasonably well done it has to go! Not only that it is ugly, but anyone can anticipate the rumbling noise it will create while driving… I will replace it later with a piece with the correct pressings.

Needless to say, there is so much work left before this beauty will be on the roads again.

Basically, I took it up where I left it long ago. The car needs to be structurally sound before anything else. The last thing I did was to replace the center and outer rocker panels. Since the inner was in very bad shape too, the new panels were not attached to it. First I locked the outer rockers in position, to keep the car straight, and then I cut out the inner rocker together with the rotted cross members and part of the floor (fig 24). New cross members were created with the correct shape and welded to place with a new inner rocker. Lower part of the front left torpedo wall was shaped and welded to place with the restored support / attachment for the pedal housing (pics 25-28). Part of the metal around the gearbox tunnel was replaced too. I have tried to shape the sheet metal as close to the original as possible. It is really a wonder how much help you can get by surfing the net and see the pictures from other restorers!

Next step was to weld up the rear seat floor next to the left inner rocker and also to open up the rear left longitudinal frame (pics 29-32). It was looking suspicious and was full of dirt and in quite bad shape. This was repaired and the box attaching the inner rocker to the rear frame (and rear jack point) was created and welded to place (I have to add a picture later).

After this I shifted my attention to the front of the car. The front left frames (pic 33) was not in great shape. The right side had been repaired earlier, but I will have to redo that since the shapes are not correct. The front lower cross member was opened up and naturally replaced since it was full of dirt and quite badly rusted on the inside. All rust was cut away and replaced with new sheet metal. I did also reinforce the front sway-bar attachments on the inside (pics 34-37).

This is basically where I was when I started this thread.
There have been some developments since last time I wrote. I will tell you more about these later on!
Attached Images

post #26 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Some more pics

Some more pics
Attached Images

post #27 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

And some pics again

And some pics again
Attached Images

post #28 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

yet some more pics
Attached Images

post #29 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

and the two final pics for this time
Attached Images

post #30 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Hello everyone,
good job, the sprint will see new¡¡¡¡¡

58 Giulietta Spider/ 69 spider veloce/ 71 Junior Zagato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode