Giulietta Sprint Veloce -61 abnormal restoration - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Gordon, that´s a beauty!
The Giuliettas are still among the most beautiful cars ever, and highly motivating to do body work on. The Spiders are extremely elegant and the transition from the c-pillars over the boot (inside the rear fins) on the Sprints makes me happy every time I look at it.

DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Exclamation

Now, what is my bid for an original piece of nose art; shall we open the bidding at...$$$$$$$!

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #228 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I bought mine years ago from Keith Goring, at Alfa's Unlimited. I think I paid around $2500 for it over time. As a factory piece, it has been copied a few times in whole and in part, by the talented panel beaters at McCabe Automotive Restorations in Mundelein Illinois, for other damaged Spiders. They had tried current reproductions and decided the effort required to make those fit correctly was offset by copying my real one that does fit.
I bought it for my own car just-in-case something horrid ever happens. Meanwhile it IS nice wall art and has helped others that need restoration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

post #229 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

welding together the fender parts

It is important to have the same gaps all along the edges that should be welded or else the efforts to get perfect shape through stretching or shrinking is disturbed by bumps or flats resulting from local excess material or locally too large gaps. Therefore, the trimming of edges and trial fitting is very important. The station buck is great here since it holds the different parts in place while marking the edges for cutting/filing but also when welding them together. The first figure shows how the outer and upper fender parts have been tacked together for final welding, but lifted from the station buck to avoid setting it to fire. The other figures show final welded fender and after hammering flat and grinding the welds. I used a MIG-welder throughout but a TIG would give less need for grinding welds.
Attached Images

post #230 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Smile

Is this not simply fantastic?!

Don should book tours through his shop!

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #231 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Yes it is. Also that it was made from a relatively few sections, preventing deformation over time. NICE hammer welds! I know a very few individuals that can do this nice work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #232 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I know a great many Alfisti are very knowledgeable regarding repairing, restoring and maintaining their cars. But this seems to be an other-worldly level of skill.

Last edited by Raimondo; 03-18-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #233 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Is this not simply fantastic?!

Don should book tours through his shop!
Coffee´s ready! You are all welcome to visit if you like. I know a story or two about fishing too.

DM
post #234 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
I know a great many Alfisti are very knowledgeable regarding repairing, restoring and maintaining their cars. But this seems to be an other-worldly level of skill.
Ray,
Thank you, but to be honest quite many can do this with some patience/stubbornness and the real craftsmen do it better and faster than me. I hope though I inspire others to trust their own abilities and I also hope am not too other-worldly since that might scare my wife (aghhhh, you have two of those?!?).

I have attached a picture on an apprentice work from a Danish craftsman (sorry, forgot his name). The six-way junction is made from a single piece of copper sheet. Pretty amazing! The item is on display at Diesel House in Copenhagen - an excellent engine museum where you, for instance, can see what used to be the worlds largest engine for 30 odd years being started. After the museum I can recommend the Stroget street and "en lille en". Copenhagen and the Danish are indeed very nice.

DM
Attached Images

post #235 of 235 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Makes it sound so easy but we know that a lo of time was required, even just to make the wooden buck. Most skillful and impressive!!!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode