New here with a Giulietta Spider and 2 questiones - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Magnus,
The brake drums were bare aluminum. The best way to get the proper look is to glass bead blast them, then spray them with a very light evaporating oil (here in the U.S. WD-40). This will eliminate the white look and maintain the bare aluminum look and only need be done once. The steel discs on the outside centers were black oxide. Machinists cold blue looks right here.
You are correct about Lionel's looms. They are the best you can buy anywhere, and, should you run into problems, he is happy to help. With Lionel, it is not just the sale, but customer satisfaction.
The gauges are best done by a shop that specializes in this work. Here in the U.S. we use Palo Alto Speedometer in California. I would suggest you contact Christian Ondrak, OK Parts and Engineering in Germany. He will be able to recommend a restoration source closer to to you that will do an excellent job. Tell Christian I sent you!
There are none of the older top frames nearby for me to measure, but I'm sure someone here on the BB has the information you need.
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

Last edited by Gordon Raymond; 11-09-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Left out a sentence (or two)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Hi Magnus

What specific "color" Red did you use on your car. And what manufacturer.

Thanks

Vince
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM

Hi Vince.

I compared some small old original colourd piece ( that not been exposed to sunlight) with Standox paint colour map. I found that the "modern" paintcode that loked most similar to my metalpiece was "Fiat 147 Rally Rosso Brasil"

A colour used on Fiats made in Brasil, 1981-1983 I think.

I painted all the parts so I could not compare with the original paint but I think the car looks amazing. Some kind of the old red colour that I wanted.

And as it was an "Italian" paintcode I feel better than if Huyndai , Seat or GM was the colour code that was next to original.

And thanx Gordon.

I`ll put the drums in my blast cabinet and glass bead them. And luckily we have WD-40 here too.

Magnus Holm
Sweden
Giulietta Spider 1960
Alfetta 4d. 1977

Last edited by bohuslan4ever; 11-10-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Regarding Gauges - I would strongly recommend against using Palo Alto Speedometer. I had terrible experiences with them recently - 16 Months!!! to get my gauges done. Not repaired properly, shoddy quality. Not as good as they were a few years back!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Colour of the exhaust manifolds.

Hi

Does anyone knows what colour the manifolds had from new or if they were unpainted.

Black is the easy way as that colour is easy to find but I will have it like the original if itīs possible.

Magnus Holm
Sweden
Giulietta Spider 1960
Alfetta 4d. 1977
Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Tubular headers were painted with a non glossy, non metallic, silver lacquer that quickly burnt off. Iron manifolds on the Normale's came as bare (rusted colored) cast iron. The coating used by Jet-Hot here in the US comes in a color that replicates the silver and NEVER burns off. They also offer a "cast-iron" coating for iron manifolds that is the color of raw grey cast iron, and does not rust.
Now:
Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

while your restoring, make sure you get the right tyes, you can get the correct Pirelli Cinturato beware of the cheapo options
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Dougal,
I made a comment on anther thread about Vredensteins as a good alternative to Cinturatos....have you tried them?

'56 Giulietta Spider, '57 Giulietta Spider Veloce, '57 Giulietta Lightweight Sprint Veloce, '60 SZ, '68 GTA, '76 2000 Spider
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM

There was four new Michelin MX with the car when i bougt it. OK they are about 10 years old now but never used and I think I will try them on.

The cost of renovation exceeds an awful lot. I bought parts for more then $10.000 last tree weeks. The costs such as rubber parts is incredible. But I hope the restauratione will stop below $30.000

Magnus Holm
Sweden
Giulietta Spider 1960
Alfetta 4d. 1977
Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

I can't say I'm a fan of the Vredestein. if you look at the pictutres you'll see the problems people have with them. they develop a dent in the side wall. It is a shame to fit them to your car when there is an appropriate Michelin XAS which is a fantastic tyre or even the original equipment Pirelli Cinturato, both of which are genuine period tyres, so they are designed to compliment cars with this sort of suspention and steering geometry. but obviosly they look so much better without all the lines and writting all over the side wall and the correct tread pattern. As you can see Pirelli and Alfa go back a long way. i can see no benefit in compromising the cars appearance and handling for a few pounds
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Adjust Koni Classic shocks.

I jut got my new Koni Classic shock absorbers and I have paited them black to make them look as original.

Iīm intrested of the right settings of them. My car has new springs whith original hight and the rest of the frame is all new and in original shape.

I will use the car on normal roads, itīs not a trackday car.

Tell me how you have adjusted them so I donīt have to dismandle them a lot of times to get them right.

All suggestions are welcome.

Magnus Holm
Sweden
Giulietta Spider 1960
Alfetta 4d. 1977
Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Magnus,
They should be on the SOFTEST setting front and rear. This will still be stiffer than the OEM black/grey units, but will prove satisfactory. In cold weather the will stiffen more, but will loosen with use as the hydraulic fluid thins as it warms.
That said, some prefer them a little stiffer for "sporting" use. Here the fronts are loose, and rears 1/2 turn tighter. The way these units are set up, jounce and rebound are NOT THE SAME. Rebound is SLOWER. With adjustment, you are adjusting jounce ( compression). I have never tested a set with the correct tools to see if the rebound, (extension) adjusts with the jounce. I can tell you that these can easily be set much too stiff for a car as light as the Alfa spider, and many people make that mistake!
Now:
Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks Gordon.
Iīll go for the softest setting on the shocks.
Does anyone here has an Pipe AR 1365.88.711 fore sale. The one between the flexible pipe and the oil gauge. I prefer an original pipe.
I lost mine during plating.
Pictures of the car comming soon. The site I have them on is down

Magnus Holm
Sweden
Giulietta Spider 1960
Alfetta 4d. 1977
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM

The pictures.

Finally som pictures of the progress.

After next week I have two-week vacation. Only for rebuilding the car and som Winter olympic game viewing.

Does anyone know where to buy the rubber part that is on top of the accelerator pump on the Solex APAI/G carburatore. I have not found anyone who selling this rubber seal.
Maybe Iīm interested of buying an water pump core to my 1300 engine. It is the one with aluminium fan.

Magnus Holm
Sweden
Giulietta Spider 1960
Alfetta 4d. 1977
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Beautiful work! I do Weber restoration and rebuilds here in the US. Parts are expensive but available. I'm sure there is a like individual that specializes in Solex. You might try contacting Christian Ondrak (OK Parts) in Germany as he may know a source, or rebuilder.
Now:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.