Giulietta Tool Roll - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 AM

There is a tool roll on eBay. Check out the price!
eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo Giulietta 750 Tool Kit, Rare Veloce Tools (item 360129455948 end time Feb-09-09 18:00:00 PST)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Giulietta Tool Roll

Is it correct? compare the $1000 plus ebay item to the $20 find shown earlier on this thread. Red or brown screw driver?
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Let me ask a question about tool rolls that may offend some purists:

Right now I have my 101 Giulia tools in a pouch I got years ago from Griots Garage - the size and shape of the Griots pouch are pretty close, but it obviously looks all wrong - it's made of bright red nylon which can't readily be dyed. I already have a few correct Alfa tools, and some antique wood handled screwdrivers & open end wrenches that look pretty close (see photos below). I can acquire a French pattern hammer as George Kraus advises.

Say I want to invest a few more bucks to assemble a tool roll that is closer to the original. I need a source for a fabric roll that looks better than the red nylon Griots thing. I did a little research on the web, and found some sites that sell fabric tool rolls for woodworkers, like Traditional Woodworker - Tool Rolls and Aprons and Tool Rolls. Admittedly, none of the rolls offered on these sites look quite right - these have pouches on both sides, unlike the Alfa rolls which has pouches on one side and the plain retaining flap on the other. Anyone have a source closer in design to the factory pouch? I figure that even if I find one made from denim, I could dye it black.
Attached Images

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-07-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Jay,

I bought my two tool rolls (two cars) from Les Hurlock a couple of years ago, very nice and a good price too. His web page address, where you could see them, was Page 1, but it doesn´t seem to work now, or any longer. You might contact him through 750-101 yahoo group though, where he is a member.

Dennis

Last edited by concept 101; 02-07-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Let me ask a question about tool rolls that may offend some purists:

Right now I have my 101 Giulia tools in a pouch I got years ago from Griots Garage - the size and shape of the Griots pouch are pretty close, but it obviously looks all wrong - it's made of bright red nylon which can't readily be dyed. I already have a few correct Alfa tools, and some antique wood handled screwdrivers & open end wrenches that look pretty close (see photos below). I can acquire a French pattern hammer as George Kraus advises.

Say I want to invest a few more bucks to assemble a tool roll that is closer to the original. I need a source for a fabric roll that looks better than the red nylon Griots thing. I did a little research on the web, and found some sites that sell fabric tool rolls for woodworkers, like Traditional Woodworker - Tool Rolls and Aprons and Tool Rolls. Admittedly, none of the rolls offered on these sites look quite right - these have pouches on both sides, unlike the Alfa rolls which has pouches on one side and the plain retaining flap on the other. Anyone have a source closer in design to the factory pouch? I figure that even if I find one made from denim, I could dye it black.
Les's source for the complete reproduction tool roll set are with someone else now and he wanted about $600. I made my own cloth tool bag from the same Stayfast cotton canvas material used on the tops. I have had to make some of the tools and have sourced the rest from EBay. I have made some changed since this photo and now have ALL the correct tools, some still need to be plated. I should have it completed in about a month and will post photos of the completion.

George
Attached Images

1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
RESTORATION PHOTOS :: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gekgrap...7610294596096/
ALFA BULLETIN BOARD BLOG :: http://tinyurl.com/yq4evt
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

You might try
William R Daemke in Oregon
at colbill@colcenter.org
I bought a repro tool set last year and at the time he still had some left.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Sorry if my previous post was misunderstood, I was referring to two EMPTY tool rolls ONLY, that I bought from Les Hurlock, and good price meant 37 dollars for the first one and 42 dollars 6 months later for the second one, bought them in two rounds.

Dennis

Last edited by concept 101; 02-09-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM

The toolkit that is on ebay right now with the high bid seems to be driven by just two bidders who must think these don't come around much. I don't think I've seen a Giulietta tool kit sell for more than $450 in the last two years. Obviously it's easier to buy a complete tool kit than to piece one together but the price still seems high.

AFRA has a tool kit on their website which looks fairly good. The price might seem a bit high but it includes 20% VAT for Italian buyers:

Afra s.a.s. - Alfa Romeo Giulietta Vintage spare parts

AlfaStop also shows what looks to be the same or similar tool kit as occassional stock as well as the repro bags.

AlfaStop - passionate about Giuliettas

I personally wish I would have bought a tool kit 2-3 years ago when they were only bringing ~$250 for a complete set......

Chuck
59 Sprint
Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 PM

I surfed on over to the AFRA website, and took a look at the Giulietta tool kit they offer (see photo below). Interestingly, AFRA seem to use the same German-made, wood handled screwdrivers that George got from Garrett Wade Woodworking Tools. I suppose these are as good a modern day equivalent as could be found - to my eye, they are TOO nice, with their metal caps, and hex section at the top of the shank where a wrench could be used. My sense is that the screwdrivers that Alfa supplied with less well made.

The pliers in the AFRA kit look too large and heavy in the fulcrum area to me.

Thanks to Dennis (Concept101) for steering me to Les Hurlock for tool pouches - Les still carries them, and I have ordered one.
Attached Images

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-10-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have since found a set of two original screwdrivers that I am using in my kit since I found the Garrett Wade ones-- photos will follow soon, I have restored (refinished) the wood handles but the metal was in perfect shape as new. I have another "real" tool bag that I carry the serious tools and the complete set of Garrett Wade screwdrivers are in that kit along with the other usable tools. I am keeping the Alfa tool roll for show

Cheers.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Tool Rolls with Coffee

I am considering reproducing these. Can anyone, willing to pay $5000 per kit please contact me off line before I "tool" up? I think we can make this enterprise work if we have over 1000 replies. Then I can buy a Bugatti from a barn without the tool kit. PS Please do not specify the red lacquer shade on the handle.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I am considering reproducing these. Can anyone, willing to pay $5000 per kit please contact me off line before I "tool" up? I think we can make this enterprise work if we have over 1000 replies. Then I can buy a Bugatti from a barn without the tool kit. PS Please do not specify the red lacquer shade on the handle.
Now let's not get greedy. I think $3000 should cover it...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

George,

I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce that my father purchased in June, 1961. The car was imported from Switzerland by an American two months earlier. My father purchased the car and gave it to me in 1968. I have the original tool kit and it looks the same as your tool kit except I have all of the tools. I might even have a couple of spare tools because I probably purchased them 40 years ago. I never used any of the tools to work on my Alfa and still have the original tool sets for my Milanos. I should compare my kit to your kit, but I believe that the screwdriver has a red handle.
John W.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Tool Roll Complete

I have completed my tool roll. See photos. I just got some wrenches back from the plater. I had to make the hubcap tool and the hex wrench.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

More photos.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.