Test drove a Ti--not so impressed. What am I missing? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Test drove a Ti--not so impressed. What am I missing?

Went for a test drive at Rusnak here in Torrance. I have to say the car looks great, very nice visually. Inside the brown leather is a really nice warm shade of caramel brown. Back seats a little tough to get in through the rear doors, and I'm an average sized guy. Good for my 5 year old, but I can see some wear on the seats being an issue. The front sport seats have pretty narrow bolsters, like kidney ticklers. The "joystick" gear control seems too big, but many cars are using these now, so I guess no big detraction. I thought the paddle shifters looked a little weird, how long they are, but work fine. I currently drive a 2011 M3 with an automanual. I liked the gearing of the Ti with the Turbo $ engine. The engine has a enough grunt for around the town/highway driving. I would not call it an exhilarating or performance experience, but very capable in most driving situations. The brakes were pretty mushy, honestly not great even for a 4-door saloon. My wife's Mazda Cx-9 has more responsive braking. I think for the $48,000, I was just a little underwhelmed. I actually am looking forward to the Stelivio, just because my expectations might be different in an SUV type vehicle. For now I have to wait and see on this new Giulia--certainly a very nice car, but the GTI I test drove a few months back seemed sportier and easily just as fast. My M3 with its V8 doesn't really wow you in the low revs, but once above 3500 rpms, lord almightly! Also it sounds incredible and handles very well. The seats are really great too, so for now, I think I'll have to wait and see. Am I missing something? I bet the Quad is a totally different car. I want to love the new Giulia and shell out the bucks, but...not yet maybe.

74 Berlina (first car--miss her)
94 164 LS (gone too)
83 Spider (alas, gone)
74 GTV (still have conjugal visits at least)
1987 Milano Verde (now in good hands)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I wonder if the brake calibrations are different n the US vs. here. The Giulia I was running around in a few weeks ago had the most amazing brakes I've ever experienced for a 4 door sedan. Saw a Stelvio the other day. Meh..... ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I was disappointed as well. I was hoping to see a better car, and although the dealer offered me to take it out for drive, I refused his invitation.
I'd rather drive my Beata, as bad as it is, but what a car. Drove her 700 miles this weekend, and running strong! Thanks Glenn!
It's a Camery with an ALFA Badge.
I got your Dragon!
Take you out in me Race car and they'll be a Brown spot in the passenger seat.
Name:  Da NEW BEATA 1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  70.5 KB
HeavyMetalAlfa and PhilBoncer like this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll have to go again (probably to a different dealer) and test drive another. Wasn't super impressed by the experience overall at the dealership. My local BMW dealership has great coffee, amicable salespeople...

Gotta go test drive another!

74 Berlina (first car--miss her)
94 164 LS (gone too)
83 Spider (alas, gone)
74 GTV (still have conjugal visits at least)
1987 Milano Verde (now in good hands)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Well, perhaps the Giulia just isn't the car for you. That's not a problem or an issue. We all have decisions to make and we don't all have the same desires.

You seem interested in performance from a sedan, so, did you drive a Ti in Dynamic Mode?
Did you put it in manual mode and use the paddles?
Of course you can pony up more money and try out the Quadrifoglio and it's 505 horse power.

Just because I like something doesn't mean you will. And that's OK. I never tasted a pickle I liked, yet they're quite popular.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Garage
what I have read those brakes in Giulia feels little bit different than normal brakes, but they should stop the car couple of metres before regular brakes (like those in bmw) and some reviewers said it takes some time to get used to then, some said they feel great.

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsix View Post
what I have read those brakes in Giulia feels little bit different than normal brakes, but they should stop the car couple of metres before regular brakes (like those in bmw) and some reviewers said it takes some time to get used to then, some said they feel great.
I'm not sure why that would be the case. Contrary to popular belief, brakes aren't the limiting factor in stopping quickly. Friction on the ground- not the brake discs- is the limiting factor on essentially all modern cars for street driving. They all have enough power to immediately lock the tires (or reach the threshold where ABS causes them to pulse) In order to stop quicker, you need stickier tires and a suspension that will keep those sticky tires planted as the weight of the car shifts forward. What big fancy brakes get you is brake feel and fade resistance(i.e. diminution of power over repeated stops due to fluid heat and pad glazing).

Some modern manufacturers will calibrate the brakes to have a lot of initial bite, which makes people feel like the brakes are good, but there is no actual increase in stopping power in an emergency.
Racer Z likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
Well, perhaps the Giulia just isn't the car for you. That's not a problem or an issue. We all have decisions to make and we don't all have the same desires.

You seem interested in performance from a sedan, so, did you drive a Ti in Dynamic Mode?
Did you put it in manual mode and use the paddles?
Of course you can pony up more money and try out the Quadrifoglio and it's 505 horse power.

Just because I like something doesn't mean you will. And that's OK. I never tasted a pickle I liked, yet they're quite popular.
Yes, could be. The steering wheel seemed thin to me too. After 20 years of waiting, nothing is going to be perfect. I'll go try it again anyway though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
I'm not sure why that would be the case. Contrary to popular belief, brakes aren't the limiting factor in stopping quickly.
"The electro-hydraulic MK C1« can build up braking pressure significantly faster than conventional hydraulic systems" why would they even use those if they are not any better?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
"The electro-hydraulic MK C1« can build up braking pressure significantly faster than conventional hydraulic systems" why would they even use those if they are not any better?
We are talking milliseconds at most. Those timescales aren't going to be relevant to overall stopping distances.

However, that does not mean it doesn't have distinct advantages. Two I can think of offhand: 1) stability control can act more quickly and accurately (milliseconds do matter for that sort of thing), and 2) brake response can be programmed to be different depending on driving mode. It's also possible that the difference can be helpful in ABS programming.
Racer Z likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

I will wait for a Giulia QV coupe and not buy another four door Alfa sedan. I want to buy a 500 hp Alfa, but plan to buy a new front engine Ferrari V-12.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Quote:
We are talking milliseconds at most. Those timescales aren't going to be relevant to overall stopping distances.

However, that does not mean it doesn't have distinct advantages. Two I can think of offhand: 1) stability control can act more quickly and accurately (milliseconds do matter for that sort of thing), and 2) brake response can be programmed to be different depending on driving mode. It's also possible that the difference can be helpful in ABS programming.
The biggest limiting factor is human reaction time.

And I agree fully that tire traction is the ultimate braking power. If you want to stop faster, put on sticky tires.
The rest is heat control at the rotor and pad. If you want repeated stops, dissipate the heat.

Driving skill is always a good discussion.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 12:07 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
They are preparing for autonomous driving ...

Personally I'm scared of all these "systems" that mean we are not really in full control anymore ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 07:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Yesterday I had an opportunity to test drive a Ti AWD. I wasn't disappointed with the performance at all. The engine seems to rev freely and the acceleration in Dynamic mode was more than adequate in my opinion. The transmission shifted crisply with almost the sensation of a manual. This was a great improvement over the 8peed DCT in my DD Acura, which sometimes has a mushy shift and often doesn't seem to know what gear it wants. To me the most notable thing about the Giulia was the steering- REALLY quick and responsive. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as far as brake feel; it just seemed similar to the Acura. I definitely will have to investigate further when my current lease is up.
Storsav likes this.

johnalfa

1994 LS Auto 84K
Euro Headlights
Goats LCD
156 Wheels

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT,81 Spider,88 Milano,89 Spider
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 07:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
its important when every centimeter or meter can save someones life. Ofcourse there is also other factors which are important or more important and all of these combined together makes the brake distance.

"Where a standard system would be able to increase the brake pressure from zero to locking in 300 milliseconds, the Mk C1 can do it in 100 milliseconds, an improvement of 300 per cent.

“In a situation where every millisecond can be the difference between life and death that is vitally important. In combination with our latest third generation ABS, Mk C1 can cut the stopping distance from 62mph to zero by up to 1 metre. "

Last edited by Vsix; Today at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode