no 6 speed for US - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

no 6 speed for US

is anybody else really upset that they are not offering the new guila in a 6 speed manual. i thinking of trying to import it from italy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I'm not upset, but then, I'm not interested in a new Alfa.

As an American, you cannot import a car into the US for personal use. You can find all of that information on the US DOT and EPA pages.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 AM

Garage
No worries. For sure the Stelvio is gonna come with a 6 speed as standard equipment.... hahhhahhaa!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygtveloce View Post
No worries. For sure the Stelvio is gonna come with a 6 speed as standard equipment.... hahhhahhaa!

Stelvio equipped with 8 speed ZF only. Even RWD versions (150 and 180 HP diesels) have automatic
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

I would like a 6 speed manual transmission, but may have to drive the 8 speed ZF. I do not want to import a car just to have a manual transmission.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
What is the process for importing a non-U.S. version / nonconforming vehicle or car into the U.S.?

The Federal agencies that regulate the importation of non U.S. version or nonconforming vehicles are the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - See IRS Federal "Gas-Guzzler" Tax.

These agencies do not encourage the importation of non U.S. version or nonconforming vehicles for on-road use because converting a nonconforming vehicle is usually very expensive, and sometimes impossible or impractical. It is possible that a car will conform to one agency's requirements but not another's.

Cars that are more than 25 years old are exempt from EPA and DOT requirements. For more information about antique vehicles visit "Importing classic or antique vehicles/cars for personal use".

EPA will permit the importation of a nonconforming vehicle only if it qualifies for exclusion or an exemption, or is imported by an independent commercial importer (ICI), who is a current holder of a valid EPA certificate of conformity. The ICI importing the vehicle has to clear the goods through CBP, not the vehicle owner.

The ICI must retain custody until after the vehicle has met all EPA requirements. Before importing the nonconforming vehicle, make sure there is an ICI who is both eligible and willing to import your vehicle, and that you are prepared to pay the ICI charges, and wait the necessary time.

Exemptions are applied to situations of extreme hardship, temporarily imported vehicles, and foreign vehicles that are identical to the U.S. versions. Additional information on exclusions and exemptions can be obtained from EPA's Web site.

The vehicle must also comply with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) to be imported. If it does not, the importer must contract with a DOT-Registered Importer (RI) to bring it into compliance, and post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal CBP entry bond required for nonconforming vehicles, which is 3 times the car's dutiable value.

If the car conforms to EPA requirements, but not DOT's, then the car may be imported by the importer, although copies of the DOT bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form when submitted to CBP. Proof that a car conforms to EPA standards may either be a manufacturer's letter or a sticker on the engine. Proof that a car conforms to DOT standards may either be a manufacturers letter or a sticker on the inside rim of the driver's side door. You can obtain a list of registered importers at the DOT Web site.

You will not be able to register a nonconforming vehicle until it is brought into compliance. You will need the CBP Form 7501 to register it with the Department of Motor Vehicle. CBP will not give you this form without approval from the EPA and DOT.

It is illegal to sell or donate a nonconforming vehicle in the U.S. It is also illegal to dispose of them in a junkyard. Non-compliant vehicles must be exported, destroyed, or brought into compliance.

To import a vehicle for purposes other then on road use, such as showing or racing, or kit cars, or uninstalled engines, please see the DOT Web site and EPA Web site for relevant information.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

I know that cars can be federalized, but the cost is very expensive.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

6 speed

What is the big deal about a manual transmission?? Have you driven a paddle shifter? You can shift faster with the paddles- especially in sport mode- than a manual. And when in stop and go traffic- no shifting manually! I think the paddle shifters are the best of both worlds. I have driven both a Maserati GT and Ghibli Q- the Ghibli a lot. Paddle shifting is great.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I'm a huge fan of manual gear boxes. It is becoming harder and harder to find non econo-cars with manual gear boxes. I'm sure there are many reasons why manufacturers discontinue offering manual boxes. The first is probably a business decision because the sales don't support all of the work that is required to get a car certified in the US. There are differences in sub-frames and possibly some differences in the uni-body that require crash testing.

Don't forget, manual gearboxes don't get as good of gas mileage as automatics. The Feds are pushing on the auto manufacturers to increase fuel economy. So, the way they comply is to install smaller engines and automatic gearboxes. Look at VW/Audi. Cars that once were offered with V6's and turbo/super charged V6's now are only offered with 2 litre turbos. And, they are all automatics.

The last car I bought was a 2007 A4 Avant with a 6 speed manual and a V6. I love the car, but am now thinking I need something larger. I cannot see myself driving an automatic/semi-auto. Worse off, I can't see myself in an SUV. So, if I want a bigger dog hauler (between me and my girlfriend, we have 5 dogs), I will have to buy something with an automatic. End of story.

I don't want to stay stuck in the past with old sh-tbox cars that need a ton of work as my daily driver. So, if I want a new or new to me car, it will need to be an automatic.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 PM

As far as the original poster's question about importing an Italian version to the US, as others have said it is possible, extremely expensive, quite frustrating and in the end not worth the hassle. You would be much better off voicing your thoughts to Reid Bigland (I did back in November and dedicated a thread to it) and Alfa Romeo US both directly and in social media.

Because Alfa US did originally state for over a year that the QV would be manual only, it was developed and federalized...what Alfa needs is a business reason to bring it over and that can only be done by a grass roots campaign
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM

By the rumors European QV with manual will be discontinued soon. The reason? About 95% of all Giulia were ordered with automatic transmission.
So, there is no reason to invest in engineering, and there in no savings in purchasing

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have driven the manual and auto trans QV's. I would buy an auto any day over the manual, even for the track, shifts quicker, smoother AND faster.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider

Last edited by ECARRILLO; 03-18-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: TYPO - CORRECTION. Would buy an auto over a manual
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"I would buy a manual any day over the manual"

Want to clarify that?
Alfaboutvegas likes this.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
"I would buy a manual any day over the manual"

Want to clarify that?
exactly,,, WHAT?

That was my thought too!

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21
Greg
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Brain fart

Would buy an auto over a manual

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode