Transmission Issue? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Issue?

I have a regular Giulia Q4. Sometimes when I have made a stop for about an hour and leave with the engine temp gauge at about two bars, I will stop at the exit with the brake applied and wait to go. The engine will go up to about 1200 rpm (like a fast idle) but there is no push. It almost feels as if it's out of gear. When I release the brake and exit the idle speed goes down to regular. This only happens when the engine is about half warm. When I leave the garage in the morning when the engine is dead cold this doesn't happen. I have absolutely no problems with this transmission otherwise.The shift points and power transfer are excellent (unlike every Fiat automatic I've ever owned). The dealer has no flash updates for this car at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolfe View Post
I have a regular Giulia Q4. Sometimes when I have made a stop for about an hour and leave with the engine temp gauge at about two bars, I will stop at the exit with the brake applied and wait to go. The engine will go up to about 1200 rpm (like a fast idle) but there is no push. It almost feels as if it's out of gear. When I release the brake and exit the idle speed goes down to regular. This only happens when the engine is about half warm. When I leave the garage in the morning when the engine is dead cold this doesn't happen. I have absolutely no problems with this transmission otherwise.The shift points and power transfer are excellent (unlike every Fiat automatic I've ever owned). The dealer has no flash updates for this car at this time.
It seems you've shown the issue to your dealer.
Did they check the fluid level of the transmission?
On older cars, a vacuum leak (even the tiniest leak) would cause all kinds off problems. I don't know if vacuum has any bearing on this new transmission.

I suppose the more obvious suggestion would be, "Don't do that until it's fully warmed."

I think fluid pressure has a big influence here. When it's cold, the oil (hydraulic fluid in the transmission is a type of oil) is thick and there is more pressure because it's harder to move the oil. As it warms, the fluid flows easier and the pressure drops. If it seems fine when both cold and hot, then perhaps it's a glitch on the software designers part. It should still be looked into.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

The more I experience it and think about it I feel that it's programed to do what it's doing. It's very consistent and happens every time under the same conditions. It happens in reverse or drive. When you take your foot off the brake the transmission engages and moves the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode