Auto Stop/Start - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Gee and we wonder where the bad reputation of Alfa Romeos comes from!. Have a look at what you guys are writing!!!!! No starter motor has failed yet and you are already writing them off.

I think the Stop/Start feature is a great idea. Why have your engine running while not moving. It's just wasting resources and my wages.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 03-11-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Well, I suspect that some enterprising owner will figure out how to really bypass that system for good, heh, heh.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Well, I suspect that some enterprising owner will figure out how to really bypass that system for good, heh, heh.
No need for that. AR included a disable switch. Read your manual.

When your at a stop doing zero miles (kilometers) per hour, you also getting zero mile per gallon. If, I repeat IF, turning the engine off at red lights changes the MPG from 28 to 30, that a good thing. Right??? IF this is true, then letting the engine continue to run at red lights is actually -2 MPG. Negative two mile per gallon. When I want that kind of fuel consumption I drive my one ton truck around.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

Last edited by Racer Z; 03-11-2017 at 07:09 AM.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:00 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Again why?

The only reason in this thread for why seems to be worry about start motor fatigue/wear. That implies that we Alfisti really do think Alfa Romeo (FIAT) cannot design a decent car ... so why the F**k do we buy them then?

Just leave it alone and get used to the feature. 2 months later you will have adapted and all will be good, including a happy wallet.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:15 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolfe View Post
What's even more aggravating is that I've heard that they're trying to make it a requirement on all new cars. I'd like to see a study done to determine the actual fuel savings and possible premature failure of the starter. Now we can add "starter lag" to any turbo lag although I don't sense much of the latter on my Giulia.
Fuel saving is one reason but the other important reason is pollution in particularly cities. Cars idling away just gas people, so turning the engines off is a very sensible idea.

Rest of post deleted as I realise I simply don't care ... do whatever
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 03-11-2017 at 02:29 AM.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
In recent years all new cars in Europe have the stop/start feature.
My Alfa Giulietta 120 TB (1,4 L 4 cyl. turbo) is 6 years/124.000 km/77.500 miles still with original battery) have stop/start and haven't given any trouble.
In a manual transmission car it really easy to use: Brake and stop and put gearbox in neutral engine stops. When traffic light turns yellow press clutch pedal and put lever in 1st. and off you go.
If the battery current is low just after start up the system doesn't work. A few minutes after a cold start it works.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"That implies that we Alfisti really do think Alfa Romeo (FIAT) cannot design a decent car ... so why the F**k do we buy them then"

Well, because they were fun to drive regardless of the failures and required fixes we've experienced with Fiat/Alfa products through the decades. Can't deny that. That's one main reason the BB exists.

I'm not advocating removal of the feature, but just figuring that as with systems which have existed in cars for years, a few people have worked around them for whatever reason, and probably will do the same here.

Quite frankly, I don't care myself, unless it would not work correctly.

Del

Seattle

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:13 PM

I've had my 2.0 for about 1500 mi and the dealer has done about 9 software updates. Now every once in a while I'll get the auto stop system malfunction warning on the dash when I start the engine. If I shut it off and restart the engine it resets without a warning. I think it's punishing me for pushing the defeat button most of the time. I'm at the dealer on a regular basis so, when they have time, I'll have them put it back on the computer.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM

Recall for Giulia is coming. It includes software update almost for all car electronics.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I've had my 2.0 for about 1500 mi and the dealer has done about 9 software updates. Now every once in a while I'll get the auto stop system malfunction warning on the dash when I start the engine. If I shut it off and restart the engine it resets without a warning. I think it's punishing me for pushing the defeat button most of the time. I'm at the dealer on a regular basis so, when they have time, I'll have them put it back on the computer.
I wanted to post an update to my problem with the auto stop/start malfunction indicator on the cluster. It seems to be related to the ambient temperature when it's above 70 degrees and the engine is warm. A message appears on the cluster "Auto stop/start function is unavailable" and then the malfunction indicator comes on located on the bottom middle of the cluster. The dealer had it hooked to the computer and the outside temperature was in the 60's. It would not replicate the problem even after the mechanic and I drove it 20 mi.
They have to contact their "Star" center to see how to proceed. Of course we could not get the car to replicate the problem, so we were dead in the water. Hopefully help (software updates) are on the way.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I wonder if Microsoft is involved with this software as they were with the 159, one of which they imported to Seattle to have at the Microsoft plant for what ever reasons with their software.

Del

Seattle

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Seriously, guys....every car I've ever driven in Europe in the last 5 years has this. And every golf cart, period. It's not new or complicated, unless you think fuel injection is voodoo and all cars should still have carbs.

Stacy Faught- 1978 Alfetta Berlina, 1983 GTV-6.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Ask you dealer about recall for Giulia, your car might be eligible for it

2.2 JTD: telai da 7510665 a 7539942, campagna 6116
Quadrifoglio: telai da 7510677 a 7537597, campagna 6117
2.0 GME: telai da 7510836 a 7537599, campagna 6118
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

The starter on cars with auto stop/start is beefed up for the increased operation.

The real killer of auto stop/start system is the battery. The battery needs to be huge and agm to handle the increased demand. The battery life of a car with auto stop/start is going to be alot less than without. The computer will monitor battery state of charge and deactivate auto stop/start once the battery is starting to age.

Louis
2011 M3 e90 ZCP no sunroof, 2004 M3 e46 no sunroof , 1987 Milano 24v, 1987 Milano Verde
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
Seriously, guys....every car I've ever driven in Europe in the last 5 years has this. And every golf cart, period. It's not new or complicated, unless you think fuel injection is voodoo and all cars should still have carbs.

Beat me to it - they've been doing this in Europe for years. It's a reliable system.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode