Giulia electronic problems - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Giulia electronic problems

I've had a '17 Giulia TI with HK sound system for 1 month now. The Nav wasn't working out of the box, and was replaced by the dealer. Now the Nav works, but the odometer is flashing, indicating a problem with the car electronic system. Alfa sent a tech down but he couldn't diagnose it.

Also, I can't get the nav to respond to most of the voice commands, and can't figure out how to set the nav commands that aren't controlled by the rotary knob, such as the 2D vs 3D display. The Owner's Manual is pretty useless in this regard. Anyone else have similar problems with the flashing odo or voice commands?

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This type of crap convinces me to drive my old cars till the day I die!! THANKS for convincing me!
Sorry, do you have a Lemon Law in your State?
Give me another one or I'm suing! That would be my next line at the dealer if I had to show up. You paid a "SLoad" of money for this car.
There should be NO POSTS or Worries.
ALFA should stand by their product or their integrity is gone.
Your time is worth money and taking it back and forth to get it fixed, it's wasting yours.
alfajp likes this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

Last edited by alfasrule; 02-28-2017 at 01:46 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM

On the Giulia forum, there is talk of problems with the HK amp. Perhaps this is related?

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfourza View Post
I've had a '17 Giulia TI with HK sound system for 1 month now. The Nav wasn't working out of the box, and was replaced by the dealer. Now the Nav works, but the odometer is flashing, indicating a problem with the car electronic system. Alfa sent a tech down but he couldn't diagnose it.

Also, I can't get the nav to respond to most of the voice commands, and can't figure out how to set the nav commands that aren't controlled by the rotary knob, such as the 2D vs 3D display. The Owner's Manual is pretty useless in this regard. Anyone else have similar problems with the flashing odo or voice commands?

Don
I've had no issues with the Nav on mine got back in January...though it did throw a CEL...at dealer now..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Let me know if they find the cause of your CEL. My dealer (and Alfa USA) are (presumably) still trying to find the cause of mine, which started when they replaced the radio/nav. Do you have the HK sound system?
Don
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Giulia CEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDriver View Post
I've had no issues with the Nav on mine got back in January...though it did throw a CEL...at dealer now..
Have they found the cause of your CEL yet? Still waiting for a resolution of mine.
Don
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Too much unreliable electronic garbage/toys for the techies. Don't need it, don't want it.
PSk, DSpieg and ganunez like this.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Giulia electronic problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Too much unreliable electronic garbage/toys for the techies. Don't need it, don't want it.
Del,
All new technology has teething problems. I remember what it took to get the Weber carb jetting right in my first Alfa, a Sprint GT, in 1965. (And that's not to mention head gaskets and 2nd gear synchros!) And the timing belt problems in my 164 LS in 1994. Some may have said at the time, "Should never have given up the Solex," or "Who needs 4 cams, anyway" or "I'll never buy a front wheel drive Alfa."

The advice and experience of other Alfisti was critical in helping me deal with these problems at the time, so that I could enjoy the many and major positive characteristics of these marvelous cars. And now I look to this BB for similar information about the new Giulia. It represents current technology, like it or not, with all its benefits, and some of its limitations. And it's a great driving car, in keeping with true Alfa tradition. It would be a shame to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Kind regards,
Don
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Yeah, I understand what you are saying.

However, almost all problems the newer cars of most makes have are due to electrical/electronicsoftware glitches. Almost every day there are recalls announced because of another typical electrical/electronic/software problem/error, resulting in the possibility of loss of control, fire, or system nonfunctioning.

Now I realize that for the most part, they are trying to reduce vehicle weight, what with electronic steering and braking (which I'm distrustful of if they don't have failsafe backup), but much of what they are installing are just techie toys and overcomplicated hvac systems. That's the part I don't see the point of, except if the car was a self driver, lol, having to have something to keep the occupants occupied. I for one don't need to be that pampered/coddled/entertained.

Even Ford announced that their electronic systems were too complicated, that people did really like simpler systems with easy to understand knobs and buttons. Still, they have problems with reliability, with another recall announced today.

And, since we are dealing with Fiat...

BTW, lol, I ran my 64 Sprint GT for ~240k miles or so without having to fiddle with the jets of the Webers. All I had to do was wash off the tops of the carbs every 25k miles or so to keep them clean. Car always ran fine. Someone must have fiddled with yours.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-29-2017 at 11:37 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfourza View Post
Have they found the cause of your CEL yet? Still waiting for a resolution of mine.
Don
Yes they did and the car is running like a Champ
All it took was bringing it to a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa Romeo dealer....at the end of the day it was a dealer Tech issue.
The Cam Shaft Pressure Sensor was bad (what I was told & showed)...and the last dealer did not notice that the sensor was out of position, out of its cradle/un-attached. thus the hard code that could not be cleared as well...
they replaced the sensor, secured it properly to its base and all was right...did all the software updates as well
May want to ask them to check that....
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:02 PM

If it is the odometer flashing, not the check engine light, then possibly something was not parameterized or coded(matched to the rest of the vehicle electronics) correctly when the Nav was replaced. This is usually done with the scan tool. Many new cars require the V.I.N. or mileage to be logged in the new component with the scan tool. A coding fault many times won't set a diagnostic trouble code, the tech needs to look in the scan tool to make sure that the necessary info is set for all the control units by reading the control unit i.d. and vehicle V.I.N. I'm not familiar with the vehicle personally; my last year as an Alfa tech was 1995, but since then I have wrenched at many dealers including M-B, Jaguar/Land Rover, Audi and Saab. This symptom is identical to many VW/Audi's when a component is replaced and not coded. If I were working on it, that is the second thing I would check for with the scan tool, after fault codes.
Craig
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by czalfa View Post
If it is the odometer flashing, not the check engine light, then possibly something was not parameterized or coded(matched to the rest of the vehicle electronics) correctly when the Nav was replaced. This is usually done with the scan tool. Many new cars require the V.I.N. or mileage to be logged in the new component with the scan tool. A coding fault many times won't set a diagnostic trouble code, the tech needs to look in the scan tool to make sure that the necessary info is set for all the control units by reading the control unit i.d. and vehicle V.I.N. I'm not familiar with the vehicle personally; my last year as an Alfa tech was 1995, but since then I have wrenched at many dealers including M-B, Jaguar/Land Rover, Audi and Saab. This symptom is identical to many VW/Audi's when a component is replaced and not coded. If I were working on it, that is the second thing I would check for with the scan tool, after fault codes.
Craig
Craig,
This is very helpful. I'll check with the service manager to see if they actually did what you recommend. They did say that the flashing odometer means some electronic component is out of sync, but couldn't determine how to fix it - even had a super-tech come down from Alfa-USA, to no avail.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
Don
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:15 PM

Garage
NAV component was replaced in my Ti before we picked it up from the dealer. Voice commands were only working in Italian or Spanish. Dealer caught it before delivery to us. So that meant the Sirius radio number was off and had to be reset with Sirius. All went smoothly with that transition. Dealer needed tech assist to try to pair the VIN to the new component and yesterday took it in for that. The in shop tech is very good but is still having difficulty getting it to pair up correctly. They have been very good about addressing it but it's a bit disappointing. So I'm driving a new Chrysler 200 with a rather cranky squirrel of an engine under the hood but it's transportation. They offered to put me into something else, but anything other than my car isn't what I want anyway. So another issue came up as I took it to the shop for the VIN pairing. Apparently it's leaking fuel from the rear of the car at or around the fuel tank. I noticed strong raw fuel smell in the garage esp after tank was filled. When 1/2 full no issue. Hmmmm. This almost sounds like some S3/4 spider fuel odor complaints.....not quite. I actually had fuel on the garage floor! So a new fuel tank is on rush order, hopefully not from Italy! Not a typical warranty recall I'd say..... fingers crossed.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keemosabe View Post
NAV component was replaced in my Ti before we picked it up from the dealer. Voice commands were only working in Italian or Spanish. Dealer caught it before delivery to us. So that meant the Sirius radio number was off and had to be reset with Sirius. All went smoothly with that transition. Dealer needed tech assist to try to pair the VIN to the new component and yesterday took it in for that. The in shop tech is very good but is still having difficulty getting it to pair up correctly. They have been very good about addressing it but it's a bit disappointing. So I'm driving a new Chrysler 200 with a rather cranky squirrel of an engine under the hood but it's transportation. They offered to put me into something else, but anything other than my car isn't what I want anyway. So another issue came up as I took it to the shop for the VIN pairing. Apparently it's leaking fuel from the rear of the car at or around the fuel tank. I noticed strong raw fuel smell in the garage esp after tank was filled. When 1/2 full no issue. Hmmmm. This almost sounds like some S3/4 spider fuel odor complaints.....not quite. I actually had fuel on the garage floor! So a new fuel tank is on rush order, hopefully not from Italy! Not a typical warranty recall I'd say..... fingers crossed.
Your TI problem sounds like mine: Nav dead on arrival, flashing odo after replacement, probably due to trouble pairing the VIN to the replacement unit. Let me know if they fix yours.

PS - many moons ago, my wife & I used to both drive Saabs. My plate was KEMOSAAB, hers was MEMSAAB.

Don
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
On the Giulia forum, there is talk of problems with the HK amp. Perhaps this is related?
That was due to people getting their windows tinted and somehow the water was getting on the amp and shorting it out. So, if anyone here is thinking of window tinting, check out that giuliaforums.com thread for more info on how to try and keep it from happening to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode