Test drove the new Giulia - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Test drove the new Giulia

I test drove the new 2.0L turbo Giulia... In a nutshell it's a very agile and responsive sedan that is nicely optioned for the price. Best in class performance compared to all the other 4cyl sedans on the market. My experience with the Multiair engines tells me there is a lot more performance to be had as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 AM

She's obnoxious
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by that boy asad View Post
She's obnoxious
The feeling is mutual

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
The feeling is mutual
Management needs to conduct a drug test on her
Evildad likes this.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh lighten up... Angela is fun and a great cheerleader for the brand. I wish we had enthusiastic people like her at all the dealerships. Most salesmen couldn't care less about the cars.
rogerspeed and nunki like this.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Oh lighten up... Angela is fun and a great cheerleader for the brand. I wish we had enthusiastic people like her at all the dealerships. Most salesmen couldn't care less about the cars.
We certainly do, Dane @ Alfa Romeo McKinney is the most knowledgable and enthusiast of the brand. I get it she's a bit on the hyper side, but glad she is passionate and enthusiastic for Alfa. I'm not downing her on that

Also is very helpful on the forums in regards to getting questions answered. Check out giuliaforums.com
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If the new Alfas become known for attracting Hipsters, it'll kill it for us more serious types.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't think hipsters own cars these days. They just rent a car2go whenever they have to go some place further than their nearest Whole Foods.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM

Engine sounded very nice on acceleration and downshifts. So after driving her what are your thoughts?
jpk112 likes this.

87 Maserati Biturbo Spider since new, 13 Abarth 500
16 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The car feels much lighter than it is. It really impressed me in that regard. I really dislike automatic transmissions, but that ZF 8-speed is not your typical slushbox. Blipping through those close ratios with the paddles is quite fun. I think it is a lot of car for the money; especially if you opt for the performance package with the active dampeners and limited slip differential.
jpk112 likes this.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Check out his two videos on walk around and test drive.

The wind in mic not issue for most of videos.

My friend John is manager of the Greer, South Carolina Benson Fiat/Alfa Studio where these videos were made:

kanundrum and jpk112 like this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
The car feels much lighter than it is. It really impressed me in that regard. I really dislike automatic transmissions, but that ZF 8-speed is not your typical slushbox. Blipping through those close ratios with the paddles is quite fun. I think it is a lot of car for the money; especially if you opt for the performance package with the active dampeners and limited slip differential.
I've not studied the new Alfa "active dampener" system. However, I bought a new 92 Mitsubishi Galant GSR back when, which came with an active suspension system employing air ride height, and real-time adjustment of the shocks.

When the rear shocks went out I was quoted $2,300 to replace. I don't recall if that was each or both, but by this time the car was about 7 or 8 years old, and that seemed quite a lot to pay to restore basic driving, so I converted to the non-air-non-adjustable suspension via pieces from a wrecking yard.

Given Alfa's history (and future?) one must wonder what the repair/replacement cost will be for a very sophisticated system on a low-production car? Or, whether such parts will be available?

I get that performance requires bold steps, so not criticizing Alfa. I just wonder if my own purchasing choice would be for a somewhat less exotic configuration in exchange for being able to keep and operate the car longer.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I own a 164S with that decade's version of active shocks. If they go out, there are no replacements, and if one were found (there has been one for sale), they cost $800 for just that one. Luckily, they can be rebuilt, which I did, but still, I also have an LS with Konis adjusted to approximately the same feeling and response of the shocks on the S (determined by many runs on the same roads and curves), and I do prefer those much less expensive (at the time) Konis over the S shock (unfortunately for 164 owners, those particular Konis are also no longer available, but that's a side issue).

Bottom line? IMHO, I'm not sure the adjustable shocks are worth it, considering the potentially expensive problems they will likely have in the future. If I were to buy a new Giulia, I wouldn't opt for those shocks.

Unless of course, you have enough money to not worry about it, lol, and thus being able to appreciate their alleged (and maybe esoteric) attributes and contributions to the suspension performance without that worry.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 02-15-2017 at 10:43 AM.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
If the new Alfas become known for attracting Hipsters, it'll kill it for us more serious types.
that wouldn't make FCA unhappy as our grandpa generation doesn't have enough buyers

current:
83 Spider Veloce
ex:

solve problems, learn something new!
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Having hipsters buy BMWs certainly hasn't hurt that company, although that reputation kept me from buying one, even when pressured by a friend to do so. I remember back in the 60's when Alfa cars were much better than BMWs, but BMW had the correct advertising, understanding who the majority of potential buyers were likely to be.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode