Test drove the new Giulia - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumifaizer View Post
Also, unlike every other car in this segment, Alfa does not offer any service plan (free oil changes etc) as do Jag, BMW, and Audi. How badly do they want to fail!!!
The real question is are you sure you'd want them wrenching on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Test drove a Giulia Ti. Really impressed by how fun it was and fully agree that the autobox is surprisingly ok. Convinced myself and my wife that I could live with the auto. Was about to order one - Giulia Ti AWD with sunroof, driver safety package, performance package, grey with brown interior. Surprised to learn that despite having owned an Alfa for longer than anyone working for Alfa USA has been around I am not eligible for the $1000 owner loyalty discount. If a guy who has babied a roundtail spider for a decade and who's first car was a 76 spider can't get any recognition from Alfa Romeo who can????

Also, unlike every other car in this segment, Alfa does not offer any service plan (free oil changes etc) as do Jag, BMW, and Audi. How badly do they want to fail!!! I am so depressed about this. Would have loved to have a second Alfa in the garage. I think I actually will test the Jaguar XF after all.
Are these the makings of a good car???
I think you should sort out your priorities. Those are gimmicks to get suckers to buy crappy cars. Not saying BMW, Jag, etc make crappy cars, but ... it's just a ploy to sway the indecisive. If you truly enjoy driving the car ... that should be enough, assuming you can afford it.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Checked it out the other day. Very nice car, well built. Liked the steering wheel. I didn't drive it, have no intentions of buying one.
The motor had no sound to it. Even a 164 had a growl when revving the motor, but this car did not.
Does not look easy to work on at all. Definitely would have to depend on service department.
They only got Quads in Vermont. 47K they want. Berlin City Williston.
I'm sure it drives like a dream, but I'd prefer a manual.
I'm a driver!

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 AM

I think you mean they only got Ti's in Vermont ....
47 K .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfa 75 2.5 Auto(Red)
Alfa 75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Track car
Alfa 75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 226.3 Hp ATW (Grey).
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sorry I mean't AWD ones. NO RWD's

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Test drove a Giulia Ti. Really impressed by how fun it was and fully agree that the autobox is surprisingly ok. Convinced myself and my wife that I could live with the auto. Was about to order one - Giulia Ti AWD with sunroof, driver safety package, performance package, grey with brown interior. Surprised to learn that despite having owned an Alfa for longer than anyone working for Alfa USA has been around I am not eligible for the $1000 owner loyalty discount. If a guy who has babied a roundtail spider for a decade and who's first car was a 76 spider can't get any recognition from Alfa Romeo who can????

Also, unlike every other car in this segment, Alfa does not offer any service plan (free oil changes etc) as do Jag, BMW, and Audi. How badly do they want to fail!!! I am so depressed about this. Would have loved to have a second Alfa in the garage. I think I actually will test the Jaguar XF after all.
I agree on the service however Jaguar & BMW offer free scheduled maintenance while Audi does not...if you buy a plan you say 37% supposedly...and BMW just lowered all their scheduled maintenance for 2017 models going foreward...used to be 4yrs 50k now it is 3yrs 36k and the what they service has been cut from what they used to service
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:07 PM

Guys, please stop complain about engine sound. All engines are turbo and turbocharger is a natural softener of the sound. It is almost impossible to create roar small turbo (2.0) engine. Silence is a PLUS of turbo engine.

For freaks who want to listen "real" turbocharged engine sound Alfa added synthesized digital engine sound through speakers on Stelvio and Giulietta Veloce. Enjoy the marketing stuff

And secondly. Alfa Giulia is not a sports car. It is just a family berlina, not a coupe. Comfortable everyday car.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
Are these the makings of a good car???
I think you should sort out your priorities. Those are gimmicks to get suckers to buy crappy cars. Not saying BMW, Jag, etc make crappy cars, but ... it's just a ploy to sway the indecisive. If you truly enjoy driving the car ... that should be enough, assuming you can afford it.
I agree. Look at what those Krauts call a service interval, too. A 30k "free" service plan will only get you two oil changes. Even with the extra long life oils we have now, that is way too long between services.

One gimmick that I love about BMW is the dealership experience. Free cappuccinos and movie theater... I stop by any time I'm in the area. Last time I was there they were showing Raiders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
The motor had no sound to it.
You must not have put your foot in it. The engine sounds great, and sounds good downshifting, too. You can hear it in the video at 18:40.
If it's too quiet for you, you could always do how they have the Abarths setup and run strait pipes after the cat
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Alfa Giulia is not a sports car. It is just a family berlina, not a coupe. Comfortable everyday car."

Maybe now, who knows what will show up as a coupe, but in the past, the sedans had basically the same drive train as the coupes, yet many didn't realize that. My friend's Giulia Super was the same as my Giulia Sprint GT underneath, yet some saw it as ONLY a sedate family sedan, not as capable as the coupe. Same for later models.
PhilBoncer likes this.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
"Alfa Giulia is not a sports car. It is just a family berlina, not a coupe. Comfortable everyday car."

Maybe now, who knows what will show up as a coupe, but in the past, the sedans had basically the same drive train as the coupes, yet many didn't realize that. My friend's Giulia Super was the same as my Giulia Sprint GT underneath, yet some saw it as ONLY a sedate family sedan, not as capable as the coupe. Same for later models.
whomever thought that a Giulia Sedan 1300 Ti 1600 Ti and/or Super was not capable never drove one....they were/are such great sedans...my opinion is that they were better than their German contemporaries from a performance/handling perspective....then again I'm biased
PhilBoncer likes this.
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
Guys, please stop complain about engine sound. All engines are turbo and turbocharger is a natural softener of the sound. It is almost impossible to create roar small turbo (2.0) engine. Silence is a PLUS of turbo engine.
"Almost impossible" is a gross overstatement. Run straight-pipes off a 2L Turbo motor, and I assure you the result will be quite loud. My turbo spider has just a small resonator on a 3-inch exhaust- it sounds great. The 4C also makes plenty of noise out of a 1.8T motor.

But yes, the base Giulia is supposed to be a entry-level luxury family car. If you want a snarling exhaust and barn-burning performance, that's why they made the Quad.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

Last edited by nealric; 03-01-2017 at 06:47 AM.
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post

This.

The thing that made past Alfa sedans great was exactly that they still *were* sportscars, just sort of square-shaped ones. The hope, for us Alfa sedan fans, was that the new Alfas would capture that ethos, drive like a sports car, and *not* be just another comfortable everyday car. If that's all they end up being, there's plenty of those around, and Alfa will not make an impact.

PhilB
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Define "sport car" please.

The Miata is a sport car. The 4C is a sport car. The MR2 is a sport car. The early 911 was a sport car.

The modern 911 is a GT car. The Boxter is a GT mistaken as a sport. The Cayman is a GT mistaken as a sport. GT = Grand Touring. (not picking on Porsche, just easy examples)

The modern Giulia is a performance minded saloon. Perhaps a large GT car. It's a friggin sedan not to be confused with a "sport" car.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:

The Miata is a sport car. The 4C is a sport car. The MR2 is a sport car. The early 911 was a sport car.

The modern 911 is a GT car. The Boxter is a GT mistaken as a sport. The Cayman is a GT mistaken as a sport. GT = Grand Touring. (not picking on Porsche, just easy examples)

The modern Giulia is a performance minded saloon. Perhaps a large GT car. It's a friggin sedan not to be confused with a "sport" car.
The Alfa Spider was a sport car. The contemporary Alfa saloon was pretty much the same in mechanicals, and even similar in weight. It drove just as well, and was just as responsive and involving. So I'd call that a square sport car. And not just the Super; the lower-spec models of the time were not as fast, but not boring econoboxes. They still drove well and communicated with the driver. They were sport cars that held more people and stuff than the usual sport car. That's WHY they were special.

Yes, cars are more specialized these days, and no one was really expecting the Giulia to just be a square version of the 4C. But the point is that Alfa makes sporting cars (or did, and should), and thus the Giulia (all models) should have a sporting feel -- should handle and steer and brake well, should communicate precisely, should be tuned for driving briskly, should *not* be just another entry-level luxury car. 280hp is plenty for a good performance sedan, having to spend an extra $30K on the 500hp version should not be needed to get an involving driving experience.

If I get behind the wheel, and can't immediately tell the difference from a Mazda or Honda, there's no reason for me to buy one. A "large GT car" is closer to what it needs to be.

PhilB
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

The newer Miatas are more like light GT cars, and so is the Fiata. The 4c is probably the only current production car at base trim that I would consider a sports car. You have to pay extra for the likes of Porsche to turn their GT cars into sports cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode