Test drove the new Giulia - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
If the new Alfas become known for attracting Hipsters, it'll kill it for us more serious types.
Kind of sounds like something Yogi Bera might have said, "Nobody's buying the Giulia; there's too many people buying them."

No, I get what you're saying, but I think the threat of a hipster stampede to Alfa dealers is the least of their worries.
DanB and PhilBoncer like this.

Jim
Current: Black/tan '86 GTV6; Blue '87 Milano Plat; Blue/tan '76 Alfetta
Past: Opale/tan '84 GTV6; Red/tan '95 164Q; Silver '87 Spider Quad; Red/tan '91 Spider, Black/tan '91 Spider Veloce; Black/brown '83 Spider Veloce
Current non-Alfa: '03 White/tan 330i ZHP; Red/tan '98 Taurus SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

As much as I hate to say it, it would most likely ensure their return. Jeez, I hate to say that. Would possibly make me, being a more serious oldtimer type, lol, from buying one, not ever wanting to be associated with so-called hipsters.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 PM

If it's a good car, I want them to succeed, and I'll want one, no matter who else buys them, or doesn't.
Things are best judged on their own merits (or lack thereof).

People who avoid what is popular, based on that as a criterion, are no more virtuous, and no more independent of thought, than those who flock to what is popular. Both are basing their decisions on popularity, and allowing their actions to be chosen by others.

PhilB
Cali67Duetto and MDriver like this.

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Didn't say I didn't want them to succeed, just that as I found with most of the BMW drivers I personally know, I just haven't wanted to be associated with some of their behavior/image. Has nothing to do with the car itself. So, yes, it should be judged on it's designed merits, but that is very often not the case.

It depends on why the product is indeed popular. If it is because it is a superior product, fine; but if it is popular because of a certain image, then don't criticize if that image is not one's style and therefore unwanted by association/appearance.

Just old fashioned I guess, not into bling to improve status. Must be why I drive old cars very few people either wanted or recognized, from a car company nobody knows. They are just satisfying to me to drive.

As for the new Giulia, the onus is on it to prove itself to me enough. Would probably be ok, as I don't hardly know any hipsters, lol. The people I know would know exactly what the car is and why I would have one.

(not the prettiest Alfa I've seen as I still think the front end is almost ugly).

Del

Seattle

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 02-15-2017 at 06:01 PM.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I've not studied the new Alfa "active dampener" system.
I'm not sure what parts they are using either. Given the popularity of such items these days I'd bet you could probably buy them from the EO supplier instead of Alfa, and they might even be used in another application.

Quote:
Given Alfa's history (and future?) one must wonder what the repair/replacement cost will be for a very sophisticated system on a low-production car? Or, whether such parts will be available?
That is a concern I have for the Quadriplegio. I love it, but that almost Ferrari engine scares me. I don't have any such concerns about the 4cly one. This is an all new platform for Alfa, but you're going to start seeing bits and pieces of it poping up in many FIAT-Chrysler products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Bottom line? IMHO, I'm not sure the adjustable shocks are worth it, considering the potentially expensive problems they will likely have in the future. If I were to buy a new Giulia, I wouldn't opt for those shocks.
The performance pack is only $1200... That's worth it for the limited slip alone. When the active dampeners fail and if you didn't like them, just replace with aftermarket coil overs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I found with most of the BMW drivers I personally know, I just haven't wanted to be associated with some of their behavior/image.
There is something about that Teutonic perfection that makes you drive like an a-hole. Similarly to how you can feel the passion when driving an Alfa.
rogerspeed likes this.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:21 PM

BMW sells a few hundred thousand per year in the US while Alfa's best year they sold like 8,000. I am pretty sure that even with the sudden marketing blitz (seriously, I am now seeing the Dear Predictable Giulia ad over five times a day on TV), Alfa is not going to get even close to the numbers that the Germans get which also means a lower amount of hipster aholes.
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rutlefan likes this.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Talk about beating a dead horse here...
drive the **** car...if you like how it drives...if you like how it looks..if you like how it feels...and if you like how its priced...then BUY IT! If none of those apply OR your fear of Alfa's past ghosts haunt you too much...then don't buy it...
if your worried about who has one, or who thinks what etc....sorry chief your already lost...
Rant Over
Regards
M
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Oh, always intend to do just that of course. I, for one, have never cared what other people think about the weird esoteric brand car I've driven for ~50 years, knowing that no one has known what the hell it is anyway, lol.

Del

Seattle

post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

I am waiting for the new Guilia QV. I have seen no cars for sale in Los Angeles. I need to replace my old Milanos with something much faster and much newer.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM

DanB,
I have been told that ZF transmission is made by BMW and used by them in tandem with their V12 engine
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDriver View Post
Talk about beating a dead horse here...
drive the **** car...if you like how it drives...if you like how it looks..if you like how it feels...and if you like how its priced...then BUY IT! If none of those apply OR your fear of Alfa's past ghosts haunt you too much...then don't buy it...
if your worried about who has one, or who thinks what etc....sorry chief your already lost...
Rant Over
Regards
M
No sh!t. I almost regret logging in on this forum. No manual.....

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolfe View Post
DanB,
I have been told that ZF transmission is made by BMW and used by them in tandem with their V12 engine
The ZF transmission is made by ZF

That 8-speed has been used in everything from Chrysler to Rolls-Royce
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
PhilBoncer likes this.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Two dealers brought two TIs to our dinner meeting tonight

What did you do Alfa related today?

Two dealers brought two TIs to our dinner meeting tonight.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:38 PM

Giulia test drive

Test drove a Giulia Ti. Really impressed by how fun it was and fully agree that the autobox is surprisingly ok. Convinced myself and my wife that I could live with the auto. Was about to order one - Giulia Ti AWD with sunroof, driver safety package, performance package, grey with brown interior. Surprised to learn that despite having owned an Alfa for longer than anyone working for Alfa USA has been around I am not eligible for the $1000 owner loyalty discount. If a guy who has babied a roundtail spider for a decade and who's first car was a 76 spider can't get any recognition from Alfa Romeo who can????

Also, unlike every other car in this segment, Alfa does not offer any service plan (free oil changes etc) as do Jag, BMW, and Audi. How badly do they want to fail!!! I am so depressed about this. Would have loved to have a second Alfa in the garage. I think I actually will test the Jaguar XF after all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode