Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Special Order Giulia Ti

29K views 177 replies 36 participants last post by  alfamale44 
#1 ·
(moderator: when a non-Giulia Quadrifoglio section opens up, you can move this into a more appropriate section)

Today I special ordered a 2017 Giulia Ti. My dealer wasn't (still isn't) even sure if they could.

I've reviewed their list of almost 40 Giulias that FCA told them they have to accept, without giving my dealer a choice of cars and options. Not one car on this list met what we thought we might like.

We don't even need a sedan and we're not replacing any existing cars. So, if we can't get exactly what we want, there's no point in buying. We test drove a Ti a few days ago and fell in love. My wife and I both drove it, I put about ten miles on it. I also was allowed to take a Quadrifoglio around the block prior to this. The Giulia is well planted to the road with very nice acceleration. Firm yet compliant without wallowing.

We're in no hurry to get it and currently don't even have off-street parking for more than one car. My 4C is privileged and gets parked off-street, out-of-doors, but off-street. Dealer thinks it's four months away. We are talking about Alfa Romeo of Italy who's motto is, "You want it when?"

As I mentioned, the dealer wasn't sure if the options I wanted were available together as some of the packages had conflicting parts. They hadn't tried to special order a Giulia yet and didn't know if that was even possible. Together we reviewed the options using dealer information and found a way to get exactly what we wanted. The computer program accepted our order and time will tell what really happens.

Our Giulia Ti order is:

2017 Guilia Ti RWD (North American spec)
Montecarlo Blue Metallic

Lusso Interior which includes:
- Beige leather seats
- Light walnut real wood trim

Ti Performance Package:
- Limited Slip Differential
- Paddle Shifters
- Active Suspension
- Black calipers with white lettering

Upgraded Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System
- 14 speakers
- SatNav and blue tooth (I think this is a separate option)

Driver Assist Static Package only because it includes auto-dimming side mirrors

The Ti includes heated seats as standard so I excluded the Cold Weather Package that included a block heater. It doesn't get cold enough here to need it.

Excluded the sun roof.

Excluded Driver Assist Dynamic package which includes nannies to tell you if you're swerving out of your lane or tailgating. We are both better drivers than that.

Because we wanted the wood trim and beige seats (Luxury Package), there are two other performance packages not allowed. One is an exterior trim package and the other is an interior trim package. The exterior isn't much different looking than the standard and until it was pointed out to me, I didn't even notice it. Just show car bling. The interior trim includes aluminum trim (instead of wood) and paddle shifters. We wanted wood, not aluminum trim.

MSRP is $47,840

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Not very dark. Medium dark. A bit darker than what might be a regular blue. The have a few of the Montycarlo Blue with Cream seats in stock. I should get a few pictures tomorrow. But none have the options as we (well me mostly) want.

I took this the day the Giulias arrived almost a week ago. On Jan 24. It was overcast. The foreground Giulia is Alfa Rosso. The mid-ground Giulia is Competition Red. The far-ground is Montycarlo Blue. It was overcast and ready to rain. Even to my eye, both reds looked the same. Alfa Rosso is a dark red with lots of blue in it. Competition Red is bright like a candy red. When I went back on Friday for a test drive, the blue didn't look as dark as it does in this picture.

#10 ·
No stick. Not available in the States currently. Since my wife and I are sharing the car, it needs to be auto anyway. This automatic in manual valve body mode works well with paddle actually. No, it's not the same as a four-on-the-floor, and it's not the same as the dual clutch in my 4C, but I'm not complaining either. It's a well executed transmission.

#7 ·
Our Giulia Ti order is:

2017 Guilia Ti RWD (North American spec)
Montecarlo Blue Metallic

Lusso Interior which includes:
- Beige leather seats
- Light walnut real wood trim

Ti Performance Package:
- Limited Slip Differential
- Paddle Shifters
- Active Suspension
- Black calipers with white lettering

Upgraded Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System
- 14 speakers
- SatNav and blue tooth (I think this is a separate option)
The interior and exterior is a good match for our Dutch Blue GTV. That is pretty much the way I would order it.

#11 ·
As Mick Jagger sang, "You can't always get what you want." But I hope this time you do. Will be interesting to see if Alfa can actually provide a special-order car as requested.

#13 ·
As Mick Jagger sang, "You Kaint always get what you want." But I hope this time you do. Will be interesting to see if Alfa can actually provide a special-order car as requested.
Do you remember when you were a kid and your older neighbor the 35 yr old car guy went down to the dealer and sat down with the order sheet and built his new Camaro? Me neither! But you could pick the engine, the trans, the color, the trim package, the vinyl top, the rally sport wheels, the "sport" seats, the drag race engine, the delete AC and radio, the whole bit. Any way you wanted it, as long as it wasn't black (sorry Henry). It would show up in a few weeks.

#12 ·
They have 1QV and 6 Guilia if various trim levels here in Sacramento. Going over next Tuesday with another Alfisti to ogle and perhaps drive.

#14 ·
Some times you have to wait for what you want.

When the MINI came back, I waited a year so that I could spec the car I wanted.

Probably will be the same here.

#19 ·
So I went and built one!
TI. That deep dark maroon red from the 20s / 30s race cars. 19" sport package with the 5-hole wheels. I wanted the glass panoramic roof but it conflicted with some option package, so I went backwards and then it went through with the 19" sport package. It keeps cancelling my tan interior trim however. The wood dash cancels the sport package - that's only Lusso apparently. Sport seats. Block heater for Montana.

$45,000.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Red

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Alfa romeo

#20 ·
So I went and built one!
TI. That deep dark maroon red from the 20s / 30s race cars. 19" sport package with the 5-hole wheels. I wanted the glass panoramic roof but it conflicted with some option package, so I went backwards and then it went through with the 19" sport package. It keeps cancelling my tan interior trim however. The wood dash cancels the sport package - that's only Lusso apparently. Sport seats. Block heater for Montana.

$45,000.
Correct. The wood trim is part of the Lusso package. The Lusso package conflicts with the Performance package. There is a mechanical performance package that does not conflict with Lusso. It includes LSD, active suspension and paddle shifters, but none of the cosmetic performance parts. You may not be able to select the 19 inch wheels, but those are easy to change after-the-fact. I'll probably buy or trade to get the black teledial wheels.

#27 ·
I test drove and "built" a new Guilia Ti AWD, today. We (my wife) visited a Maserati / Alfa dealership that had 6 Base / Ti's, and a Quad. The Quad was sold and was not available to test drive. All were 4wd, which is what we wanted. Good, even, tractable power and a very sweet paddle shift transmission with a very nice auto mode, as well. None of their cars had (but we built-in) the Ti (only?) Performance Package that includes active suspension and a limited slip differential, the Harmon Kardon premium sound, and the High Performance Bi Xenon Headlamps. We included the Ti Lusso package, Driver Assisted Static Package, and the Forward Collision Warning with autonomous braking. Total $49,190. One could easily get it up over $50K. What blew my mind, and might kill the deal, is the warranty. Stated, it is "Basic-48 months/50,000 miles and Powertrain-48 months/50,000 miles". I asked the rep if Basic meant bumper-to-bumper. Answer, NO. I replied, "so there are items that have no warranty?" She replied Yes. I asked what were those items, and she replied that they did not have that list, yet. When pressed she said items like the "radio-sound system". ***!!! Does anyone have any more info about this? Are there other manufactures that do this as well? Very concerned about this...

#29 ·
The Ti Performance Package is only available for the Ti. Includes active suspension and a limited slip differential and paddle shifters. The Quad probably has it's own version as standard. The base is exactly that, basic.

The basic warranty covers the entire car. Then, certain areas have an extended warranty.

You should ask about a special extended warranty. It will cost you extra. My wife got a "life time" with here Fiat 500. There are eight and ten year versions available. If your dealer has know knowledge, call another dealer, they should know and offer because they get commission if they sell it to you.

#28 ·
Well, I did some investigating, and it appears that my sales rep was INCORRECT. I went to the Alfa Romeo USA web site and viewed the warranty pdf:
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...17-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-Generic_Warranty-2nd.pdf
There is more detail there, than I am about to provide, but in a nut-shell it states:
12 month / 12,000 miles: Brake pads and rotors, clutch(?), wipers, F&R glass, alignment and tire balancing
48 / 50,000: "Basic" warranty (seems to state that it is everything with the exception of the above, AND the tires)
48 / 50,000: Powertrain
92 / 80,000: Catalytic converter and powertrain control module
Unlimited / 60,000: Rust-through
Feeling much better now.
:smile2:

#32 ·
To my memory, Alfa has been using the round hole wheel design for many many decades, and I have referred to them as a telephone-dial style of wheel for as long.
Back to the Giulia / Giulia Ti discussions.
These are a few more observations from my recent test drive.
The sunroof. It's one of the style that opens above the roof. It also has a second glass panel that does not open. At least the rep said that it didn't open. I'm not a fan of this style of sunroof. I'd rather that my movable panel tracts between the headliner and the underside of the roof. Also, the sun shade, on the model that we observed, did not completely block out the sun light. It was made of a very thin cloth that (even in Feb. in PA) was allowing a good amount of light in. It was kind of a nice level of light but it made me wonder if this would allow too much light, and heat, when summer arrives.
I had some questions about the "Active" suspension and how it worked, was it configurable, etc. AND similar questions about the design of the 4wd Q4 system. It was a Saturday and the service department was closed and the sales reps had nothing for me. Does anyone have this info, or links, to official Alfa information on these, and other options like the up grade headlights, sound system, etc. The website and the 1 page information sheet that the rep and I were working from had only the vaguest descriptions about these options. She found a couple you tube videos that gave few, if any more detailed technical descriptions.
I'm planning on going back this week to nose-around again and speak to the Service Dept.

#39 ·
Max, thanks for the video link. As informative as the video was, it raises even more questions. The video states that the driver selects individual performance modes. Is this true for the Giulia? Also, it states that the Altimax system can "optionally" be combined with NIA, an integrated actuator. Giulia? It seems that this system is similar to the Haldex system that Volvo uses. That system allows for the vehicle to run in 100% 2wd (front for the Volvo) until wheel slip is detected and then it kicks-in and adds drive to the other axle. The Giulia, of course would operate in rear wheel drive (100% rear wheel drive?), until wheel slippage is detected. The video suggests that it then adds traction to the other axle in varying proportions, as conditions require. I wonder, is it capable, if conditions require, to put the car into a traction split where more than equal drive is sent to the front axle? Could a 100% front, 0% rear drive split occur? Hmm...

#41 ·
There is the DNA selector which pre-selects the driving mode. It adjusts the engine performance level, throttle response, active suspension, transmission interaction.
A mode is All Weather for mud, snow, ice and that sort of thing.
N mode is Natural for regular or normal driving, whatever that is.
D mode is Dynamic. This offers the most performance in a sport type mode.

With or without the paddle shift option, the transmission can be used in a manual valve body mode in which it only shifts when the driver tells it to shift. What it does internally, I don't know.

Active suspension is an option. There is an additional control that offers more driver control for the suspension setting. I did not play with that. There is also an optional LSD (Limited Slip Differential). The Ti Performance Package includes Active Suspension, LSD & Paddles. As a package, this is only available for the Ti. Parts of it are included with other packages, except for the LSD. The LSD is exclusive to the Ti Performance Package.

I test drove the rear wheel drive w/paddles version. The AWD (Q4) version might have more controls.

The Quad (Quadrifoglio) has an additional R mode for the DNA selector. Race mode is primarily D mode without the nannies. The base and Ti don't have R mode.

I can't really compare the Giulia to my 4C because the engine/transmission/suspension are completely different. The 4C has the DNA w/Race modes and it works well. In my short jaunt in a Quad, it was Race/manual mode. In my test drive of the Ti, it was Dynamic Manual mostly with some Dynamic Auto. It was terrific. But, I never left the asphalt and weather was ideal (warm, dry, sunny). If there was any interaction from the nannies, I never noticed, but I wasn't pushing the car THAT hard. I was on public roads in traffic.

#40 ·
The system in Giulia can split the torque from 100% - rear axle to 40% rear - 60% forward. Depends on DNA selector position and road conditions.
You can find more about the system in European press realese and in owners manual (available at fiat elum)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#42 ·
My Giulia Ti order has been accepted and approved. Status is now:
D1 - dateline: plant has sequenced the unit for production, estimated ship date assigned
But in true AR style, they won't tell me the estimated date.

#44 ·
Hey Guys, and Gals, how about you consider posting the build sheets. The information would be useful with tracking package / option combinations that are accepted by Alfa. Also, information on how long it takes from order, to delivery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.