Special Order Giulia Ti - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Bob, I don't need to contact you, I was just pointing out that if you want people to vote for you, they have to know who you are, more or less

Dave Spiegelthal, Centreville, VA
'91 164S, '79 Alfetta GT, '85 Fiat X1/9, '71 Fiat 850 Spider

Last edited by DSpieg; 03-03-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM

I found out that my Giulia Ti is one step away from being assigned a VIN#. They call it D1 Status. Not sure what that means but I'm still hoping for delivery by no later than the end of May, early June.
post #93 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentlands View Post
I found out that my Giulia Ti is one step away from being assigned a VIN#. They call it D1 Status. Not sure what that means but I'm still hoping for delivery by no later than the end of May, early June.
Nice. I'm stll waiting on a VIN. Was Status F - paint bay, last I heard.
kanundrum likes this.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

post #94 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
found out that my Giulia Ti is one step away from being assigned a VIN#. They call it D1 Status. Not sure what that means but I'm still hoping for delivery by no later than the end of May, early June.
I'm getting the impression it's taking like 2-3 weeks on the assembly line.

2016 Jaguar F-Type Coupe manual, 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible manual
Gone: 1987 Milano Verde 3.0, 1962 Giulietta Spyder
post #95 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM

Garage
Just brought ours home! The blue is stunning! Especially in direct sunlight. We went for AWD and the moonroof. Otherwise very similar to your order love it so far. Lots to learn!
Attached Images

spiderJohnNH and cptwei like this.
post #96 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentlands View Post
FYI you might find this post useful:
Order status codes - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum

As for myself, I placed order on 12/13 last year; when I checked back on 1/28 it's already entered JB status (VIN was also available at that point). It's still in JB as of now, so probably still in transit. Will post an update here if I hear anything.
post #97 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

My special order Giulia Ti has gone from:
F - paint
to:
JB - body vendor

And I now have a VIN. Progress

Using this link: FCA US LLC Launch Page I don't have a widow sticker yet, but I didn't really expect to yet.

Still no official date of completion. Not a problem.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #98 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I did more research on Alfa colors, and I think the color my wife and I liked was the "bronzo medio" as seen on the Giulietta we drove in Italy. If it is, it looked black in the shade but had a reddish metallic sheen to it in the sun. Quite striking. Thought at first it was "vulcano black" but I don't think so, that color not being used on the Giulietta as far as I can tell.

Being able to get something like that color just might make us feel a little better about looking at the Giulia.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #99 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post

Upgraded Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System
- 14 speakers
- SatNav and blue tooth (I think this is a separate option)
The Premium Sound System in my Alfas is the exhaust note The stereos are just for show and purely to fill a space in the dash...

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
post #100 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeatgodzilla View Post
The Premium Sound System in my Alfas is the exhaust note The stereos are just for show and purely to fill a space in the dash...
Yup. The radio in my 4C is worthless. Besides, nothing can compete with the exhaust note, intake whoosh, and blow off valve farts.

The Ti we test drove didn't have much in the way of 'exhaust note'. I'm sure that an aftermarket performance exhaust will cure that. Gotta sync it so that it keeps time with Metallica or Queens of the Stone Age.
ibeatgodzilla likes this.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #101 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

The wife and I are still debating the purchase of a new Giulia. SHE (!) wants to drive the Quad to see if it would be comfortable enough to use as an every-day driver.The local dealers have all sold their first Quads, and state that indeed one can order a new Quad, but that they don't know when there will be enough of a supply that they will have them in stock such that they will be available for test drives. Hmm, I guess that patience is required. On the flip side, I'm still working on getting answers to some basic questions about the Base / Ti models. After my initial visit to a Maserati / Alfa Studio, where the sales rep, when asked if she had driven the new Giulia (she had), and what her impressions were, she replied, "well, I don't hate it", and then during our "build" session when she couldn't answer 3 out of 4 questions about the options available, she replied that "Alfa didn't send us any information about the cars", I knew that I would have to look elsewhere for answers. The next stop was the "Live Chat" portal on the Alfa USA web site. After about 45 minutes, Chad (I think) couldn't answer one question, but assured me that he would escalate the questions and that I would get my answers asap. That was a month ago. I didn't stop there. A few days after not getting any reply from Chad, I contacted Alfa via email. Felicia replied with answers to about 50% of my questions and a promise to get the other questions answered. A couple of weeks of back and forth, and still no more answers. My next step was to send a (snail mail) letter to Reid Bigland, the "Head of Alfa Romeo and Maserati US Sales". That was 31 days ago. No reply. UGH! On the up side, the local Maserati / Alfa Studio is hosting a "Launch" event tomorrow, and our local Alfa Club has coordinated with them. In advance of tomorrows event, I revisited my initial experience from last month (an email sent on Monday, this week), and once again gave a list of my (technical) questions to the event coordinator (another female sales rep). To my surprise, she answered all of my questions (!), and said that she is looking forward to seeing me at the Launch Event. I will now discuss the questions that I have been asking, and the answer(s) that I have received.

My first question concerned the all wheel drive system. Who is the manufacturer? What is the torque split (when no wheel slip is detected, then when slip is detected how much percentage can transfer to the front wheels)? Now, two members of this forum, Max Pershyn and Sketchl, have posted that the system is made by Magna and is called the Actimax, and even included links to very nice videos that show how the Actimax system works. I have been told, by the Studio rep, that the system IS NOT made by Magna, that it is made by ZF. That it operates in 100% rear wheel drive and when "wheel slippage occurs, or is FORESEEN(!), the system transfers up to 60% of the drive torque to the front axle in real time". The system also uses a "high mechanical over-slippage (up to 2.5%) between the front and rear axles to promote extra traction and directional stability in turns". The all wheel drive system is NOT configurable outside the DNA selector, nor is it defeatable. In addition, the ESC (electronic stability control) also is not defeatable, except in the Quad, when used in Race Mode.

My second question concerned the Performance Package. I asked, when choosing the PP, does anything other than the standard shocks to the adjustable shocks change? Like the ride height-coil spring rates-bushing compliance-sway bars, etc. Interestingly, Felicia, from the Alfa web site stated that the only difference was the shocks. The Studio rep stated that with the PP, you also get "larger anti roll bar sizes front and rear". Other than that, the rest stays the same. She also stated that the adjustable shock system is made by Koni. The system has two settings, firmer and softer. The input to the shocks is electronic and it changes both the compression and rebound settings.

The third question concerned the difference between the standard Bi-Xenon head light system and the optional High Performance Bi-Xenon Headlamps. The reply is that the standards are 25 watts and the HP are 35 watts AND that the HPs have "adaptive forward lighting, are self leveling, and turn with the steering wheel".

Next, I asked about the brake by wire system. I asked who is the manufacturer of the system. The reply was: Alfa Romeo

I'm looking forward to tomorrows Launch Event. I'm hoping that they will have a car on the lift so that we can view the underside. I'll report again this weekend.
PhilBoncer likes this.

ALFA ANDY
post #102 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

To your first question above, I found this Giulia/A4/3series test by an Italian publication (English captions) in case you haven't seen it. Between about 5:00 and 10:00 they do wet skidpad and traction tests and discuss how the all wheel drive systems work, including the Giulia.

youtube.com/watch?v=AHIytYD67PY

2016 Jaguar F-Type Coupe manual, 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible manual
Gone: 1987 Milano Verde 3.0, 1962 Giulietta Spyder
post #103 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. I had no idea that the more expensive headlamps turn corners to actually light up the area you're driving into. I wonder if I can change my order.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #104 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
Interesting. I had no idea that the more expensive headlamps turn corners to actually light up the area you're driving into. I wonder if I can change my order.
Interesting how some car companies showcase 'innovations' that were invented years ago - the Citroen DS did this with the headlights decades ago.
I've also seen modern cars (Ford) advertising front grilles that (obviously there must be air intakes elsewhere) close by themselves to increase streamlining... Bentley did this in 1930. I'm sure there are many other examples of cool ideas that actually aren't new, for some reason got phased out (cost?) and are now coming back.

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
post #105 of 107 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Regarding 4WD. It's made by Magna. See the link
http://www.magna.com/capabilities/po...a-romeo-giulia

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode